[Guide][Deprecated] Installing OS X 10.11.4-10.12.3 on Surface Book

cydia2020

192 posts in this topic

hi cydia,

could you verify your ssd brand, I'm wondering if it's a toshiba nvme ssd

I can verify mine is Samsung's

Any pictures or videos of Mac OS on the Surface Book. Looking to try this over the weekend.

Sorry, no video of photos, don't have enough time for that.

Hi Cydia have issues with the instructions... I crated a new partition in my surface book (60 gigs) I also created the USB drive with my mac, I am having problems with the second step,  I pressed win+x and did diskpart list volume, the volume I created was 1 did select volume 1 then assign, I don't get a new disk called system... Not sure what I am doing wrong.

it's actually the EFI partition, wrote as "SYSTEM" because it's easier to understand for someone is new to this

Mirone has a working AppleHDA patched for Surface Pro 4, it might work on Surface Book as well as they both have the same codec ID.

Confirmed to work:

Internal speaker

Headphone

Internal Mic

External Mic

Auto switch

How to install:

Remove VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler

Restore vanilla AppleHDA to /S/L/E if it was removed

Install AppleHDA_ALC298 to /S/L/E

Repair permission and rebuild cache

Set DSDT layout-id to 3 under HDEF (rename from HDAS) or Clover Config.plist

Add to Clover Config.plist under KextToPatch the following for AppleHDA binary

8419D411 -> 9802EC10

8508EC10 -> 00000000

8319D411 -> 00000000

I can confirm that the VoodooHDA is working with the internal speaker

Mirone has a working AppleHDA patched for Surface Pro 4, it might work on Surface Book as well as they both have the same codec ID.

Confirmed to work:

Internal speaker

Headphone

Internal Mic

External Mic

Auto switch

How to install:

Remove VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler

Restore vanilla AppleHDA to /S/L/E if it was removed

Install AppleHDA_ALC298 to /S/L/E

Repair permission and rebuild cache

Set DSDT layout-id to 3 under HDEF (rename from HDAS) or Clover Config.plist

Add to Clover Config.plist under KextToPatch the following for AppleHDA binary

8419D411 -> 9802EC10

8508EC10 -> 00000000

8319D411 -> 00000000

Hi there, i cannot get it work, could you please publish down here how to do the patch exactly? there are many version of this and i am actually new to this, thanks

Here, patched your DSDT and Config from the 1st post. Remove your VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler, restore vanilla AppleHDA to /S/L/E. Install AppleHDA_ALC298 to /S/L/E or /L/E and repair permission and rebuild cache.

sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*

sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*
      sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

cydia2020_HDA.zip

Here, patched your DSDT and Config from the 1st post. Remove your VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler, restore vanilla AppleHDA to /S/L/E. Install AppleHDA_ALC298 to /S/L/E or /L/E and repair permission and rebuild cache.

sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*

Ok, thanks, got it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey cydia2020 how did you get the clipboard battery to be detected? is there a guide somewhere online? I'd like to patch my own DSDT myself.

Thanks.

Hi leoelzein, it's a kind of tricky thing to do actually, you need to copy the EmbeddedControl section from SP4 to Surface book's DSDT, and change the value of them one by one, it will generate a lot of errors, so i don't recommend do that, but if you do know about AML, we can work out together, you could contact me via LINE @ victor_chih, thanks

Hi Cydia2020

Thanks very much, i used your guide to get osx up and running on my surface book and i wanted to say massive thanks, i will be following this and your other pages with keen interest.

i was wondering if you had any joy getting the touch and stylus up and running? i know a lot of people are working on touch at the moment and that there are a group of people working on 2ic touch devices and this doesn't include the surface book but i wasn't a 100% clear from your posts if you had the stylus working or not? i know there was some talk about inking working but it wasn't obvious to me where i should start looking to get the stylus working.

again thanks very much, huge fan of your work!

• Like 2

Hi Cydia2020

Thanks very much, i used your guide to get osx up and running on my surface book and i wanted to say massive thanks, i will be following this and your other pages with keen interest.

i was wondering if you had any joy getting the touch and stylus up and running? i know a lot of people are working on touch at the moment and that there are a group of people working on 2ic touch devices and this doesn't include the surface book but i wasn't a 100% clear from your posts if you had the stylus working or not? i know there was some talk about inking working but it wasn't obvious to me where i should start looking to get the stylus working.

again thanks very much, huge fan of your work!

Hi tomburford

Unfortunately, the touch screen driver for windows is not open source yet, and the technology is not I2C obviously, so it's impossible to port the touch screen driver to OS X for now, also, I'm not a coder, so I won't be able to port it ?, maybe in the future, someone will work on it.

Cheers.

Hi tomburford

Unfortunately, the touch screen driver for windows is not open source yet, and the technology is not I2C obviously, so it's impossible to port the touch screen driver to OS X for now, also, I'm not a coder, so I won't be able to port it , maybe in the future, someone will work on it.

Cheers.

i figured, i saw the conversations you were having on gitter with alexandrerd, what about the stylus support? becuase at the moment when the screen is detached i dont have a way of controlling os x. to be honest the lack of touch screen isnt a big deal for me, i had a pro2 that i got running osx quite well including touch and stylus and what i realised is that mac really is an unpleasant experience on touch, too many tiny buttons.

i realise you are not a coder, neither am i but i can appreciate that you have collected all of this info together and created a guide that has certainly helped me get os x running quite well on my surface book

i figured, i saw the conversations you were having on gitter with alexandrerd, what about the stylus support? becuase at the moment when the screen is detached i dont have a way of controlling os x. to be honest the lack of touch screen isnt a big deal for me, i had a pro2 that i got running osx quite well including touch and stylus and what i realised is that mac really is an unpleasant experience on touch, too many tiny buttons.

i realise you are not a coder, neither am i but i can appreciate that you have collected all of this info together and created a guide that has certainly helped me get os x running quite well on my surface book

Since no touch screen, it's impossible to has pen support, they're using the same port.

• 1 month later...

sudo touch -f /L*/E*
      sudo touch -f /S*/L*/E*

Hi Jack

Could you help me patch the dsdt again since i tried to patch it with toleda's layout-3 but nothing happens

Thanks

not sure if this helps or not but one of my friends has installed windows 8 on his surface book and interestingly the gfx card didn't appear in device manager. i believe the power for the nvidia gfx card is controlled by a GPIO pin, i guess to get the GFX card to appear you would need a way of OSx triggering the GPIOs 

not sure if this helps or not but one of my friends has installed windows 8 on his surface book and interestingly the gfx card didn't appear in device manager. i believe the power for the nvidia gfx card is controlled by a GPIO pin, i guess to get the GFX card to appear you would need a way of OSx triggering the GPIOs 

The problem is os x dont have a gpio kext

• 3 weeks later...

Hey how do I install Clover on the hard drive after I get the Hackintosh booting up correctly? And my sound is not working, can I reinstall the kext somehow? And also, how do I update the DSDT? 

Sorry, this is my first successful Hackintosh. Failed quite a bit with earlier desktops/laptops. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hey how do I install Clover on the hard drive after I get the Hackintosh booting up correctly? And my sound is not working, can I reinstall the kext somehow? And also, how do I update the DSDT? 

Sorry, this is my first successful Hackintosh. Failed quite a bit with earlier desktops/laptops. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Don't upgrade, use the full driver if you are new ;) , the kexts should be placed in /CLOVER/kexts/VERSION. check if you did that

Don't upgrade, use the full driver if you are new ;) , the kexts should be placed in /CLOVER/kexts/VERSION. check if you did that

Got the DSDT working on a fresh install, I can now see battery status :) However, I'm not sure how install Clover on the hard drive, currently I can only boot if I have my installer USB plugged in on boot.

Got the DSDT working on a fresh install, I can now see battery status :) However, I'm not sure how install Clover on the hard drive, currently I can only boot if I have my installer USB plugged in on boot.

Download the clover pkg and install it to your SSD, you should see a EFI volume mounted, then, copy the driver as ReadMe.txt, and you're ready to rock

i have just dont a reinstall of osx and the gfx issues have all gone away and everything is running smoothly.... except sound. im not really sure which step i missed but the sound output device isnt appearing in output devices.

has anyone got any suggestions? i have the appleHDA_ACL298 in my clover kext dir. should i be toggling the sound fix in clovers DSDT mask options? it doesn't seem to do anything.

i have just dont a reinstall of osx and the gfx issues have all gone away and everything is running smoothly.... except sound. im not really sure which step i missed but the sound output device isnt appearing in output devices.

has anyone got any suggestions? i have the appleHDA_ACL298 in my clover kext dir. should i be toggling the sound fix in clovers DSDT mask options? it doesn't seem to do anything.

Sorry for the inconvenience, the sound should work if you install the kext with Kexts Utilities. BTW, which Graphics did you mean? Intel is always working and Nvidia, わからない。(I dunno), but it's kind of impossible because is using GPIO pin. So ehh, i dunno

Sorry for the inconvenience, the sound should work if you install the kext with Kexts Utilities. BTW, which Graphics did you mean? Intel is always working and Nvidia, わからない。(I dunno), but it's kind of impossible because is using GPIO pin. So ehh, i dunno

the gfx issues i was talking about was screen elements a little corrupted, but you seem to have fixed this with the new DSDT file.

i will try installing the kexts

should i be installing all of the kexts, i had though that clover took care of this for me foolishly

Download the clover pkg and install it to your SSD, you should see a EFI volume mounted, then, copy the driver as ReadMe.txt, and you're ready to rock

After you updated the main post with instructions to install Clover to SSD, I finally got it working. I recommend you add to the tutorial that you need to copy the kexts and DSDT to the Clover SSD install for it to work. Also, you might want to add that to get sound working, you have to install the AppleHDA kext with kext utility.

Is there no way to get native bluetooth and wifi working? What is the issue with that?

After you updated the main post with instructions to install Clover to SSD, I finally got it working. I recommend you add to the tutorial that you need to copy the kexts and DSDT to the Clover SSD install for it to work. Also, you might want to add that to get sound working, you have to install the AppleHDA kext with kext utility.

Is there no way to get native bluetooth and wifi working? What is the issue with that?

The tutorial of how to install the driver correctly are in the attached file, please use that ReadMe.txt to install. 

BTW, for the bluetooth and Wifi, it's very hard to port the driver. and apperently i am not a coder, just interested in this, so for me is kind of impossible