MSI - Installing OS X Yosemite - Couldn't allocate runtime area error

skareemr

26 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in insanelymac forums :)

I am facing problem in installing MAC OS X Yosemite on my PC. This is the error I am getting when I boot from USB drive as shown in this image:

post-1696048-0-12650500-1460075181_thumb.jpg

Please, help me to overcome this problem.

-------------------------------

My PC specifications are:

Current Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU
            Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz
            Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technology

RAM
            64.0 GB

Motherboard
            MSI X99S GAMING 9 ACK (MS-7882)

Graphics
            2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (MSI)

ForceWare version: 364.72
            SLI Disabled

Storage
            2 TB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 ATA Device (SATA)
            1 TB Crucial CT1000BX100SSD1 ATA Device (SSD)

Optical Drives
            PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M ATA Device

Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio

------------------------------

I don't have Apple PC available to me ... So, I used a copy of OS X Yosemite on VMware Workstation  to be able to prepare a bootable USB drive with OS X Yosemite on it. This is what I am using:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.1.1

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Yosemite Edition 7.5.0

OS X Yosemite v10.10.1.6.5 in Applications folder

Step 1 -  I used Disk Utility to format my 8 GB USB Drive as per the instructions ( Partition Layout = 1 Partition / Format = Mac OS Extended (Journaled)  - Name = USB)

Step 2 - I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 6.1.1 to create the bootable USB drive (I used UEFI for Bootloader configuration).

Step 3 - I copied the whole [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] - Yosemite Edition folder into the USB drive.

Step 4 - I restarted my PC and boot from the USB.

I get the error as described above.

Please help!

As I am new to this Website and after posting my help request, I realized that tonymacx68 is not supported by insanelymac.com ... Then let us forget about tonymacx68 tools .... My request is still the same:

Please, help me to install MAC OS X Yosemite on my PC.

Ok I am shifing to Pandora's Box.

I will use Pandora's Box to create bootable USB drive. I will let you know if I will be able to install MAC OS X Yosemite ... or ... I get any error while installing.

Hello @skareemr, how are you? And welcome to InsanelyMac  ^_^

Look, you have a (very) good hardware, but these tools ***beast, are not supported here.

Please, read carefully why we don't give/use ***beast tools:

If you want our help, you can follow our guides: Tutorials (The Genius Bar)

• Like 1

Hello Supervisor, :)

I am fine ... It is starting to get more hot here in Dubai, even though it was raining tonight.

Right ... I hope the big boss of InsanelyMac :D forgive me if I posted something about these BEAST things. I am new here, and honestly I didn't know that is it not supported in here. Anyway and as I said above, let me forget about these "BEAST" things.

I deeply appreciate your reply.

Here I go .... It is 6:15 am (early morning) and the hot coffee is with me and I am ready to go study and follow the guides you posted to me ... I will come back to you to tell you about the results.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to do every step in this guide >>> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305255-making-a-10101011-usb-installer-w-clover-uefi-and-legacy-the-correct-way/

However, step 4 is confusing!!! It reads:

Step 4:

Now its time to add all the kext, patched DSDT (if you use one) and SSDT (if you use one) the required kext is FakeSMC, 10.10 shown in below pic but add a new folder and name it 10.11 for El Captian

Three questions:

1- What are "all the kext" needed? and from where I can get them?

2- How would I know if I SHOULD use DSDT or not to use?

3- How would I know if I SHOULD use SSDT or not to use?

Forgive me, but I am totally newbie for this MAC world.

This is the view of the EFI after finishing step 3:

post-1696048-0-24173000-1460088115_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Duran Keeley,

Thanks for your advice. I will try to boot with the 3 Graphic Cards connected. If it caused problems, I will try your suggestion. Deeply appreciate your concern in my problem :) .

You need fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagment kexts. 

you need aptiofix2 and test2.efi, HFSplus-64. 

Don't think of DSDTs and SSDTs at the moment, think of installing first. You also need to make your config.plist in a specific way. 

@skareemr,

To find the latest FakeSMC, go to the following website:

http://www.hwsensors.com/releases

Click on "Binaries" next the the top version (currently as of this post it is the following: HWSensors 6.19.1406)

Open the Disk Image (.dmg)

Copy FakeSMC.kext to your EFI -> Clover -> kexts -> 10.10

You haven't extracted or patched your DSDT/SSDT so don't worry about that, yet.

FYI: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/125/?page=3

"I guess that this still have something to do with memory allocation, because same configuration with only one graphics card work without any problem"

"I am getting OsxAptioFixDrv: AllocateRelocBlock(): can not allocate relocation block (0x16687 pages below 0x100000000) when trying to boot Clover from EFI or Legacy using OsxAptioFixDrv with more than 2 PCIe devices installed. If I remove one PCIe device, it boots fine."

The second image shows the same error as you originally reported. That is why I said try boot with only one card...

• Like 1

Hello Duran Keeley, DwarfVador,

Very nice ... Now I got FakeSMC.kext in the folder EFI -> Clover -> kexts -> 10.10

According to DwarfVador, I still need:  NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and Test2.efi ... I am using the latest version of Clover Configurator and it seems it is not adding these 2 drivers ...  Hope you can provide me with  a link to get these 2 files. I can Google and search for these 2 files but I don't want to keep guess what is the best to download.

Take a look into my EFI folder now. What is still missing?

post-1696048-0-29803200-1460109021_thumb.jpg

I will keep only 1 graphic card and remove the other 2 before attempting to install.

Hello everyone,

This what I have right now:

EFI Partition

post-1696048-0-31099200-1460146156_thumb.jpg

Install OS X Yosemite Partition

post-1696048-0-38448800-1460146160_thumb.jpg

According to this >>>> Haswell-E mach_kernel patch (5960X, 5830K and 5820K) 10.10 - 10.10.1 Yosemite

I should have /System/Library/Kernels/kernel and /System/Library/Extensions/ in Install OS X Yosemite Partition.

However, and as you can see in the image above, in Install OS X Yosemite partition the two folders /System/Library/Kernels/kernel and /System/Library/Extensions/ are missing!!! What is my mistake? And how to solve this?

Thank you guys for your efforts to help me in all this. :wub:

Hello everyone,

Yosemite is no longer available for download in Apple Store ... I don't know from I can get 10.10.2 or newer ... I am lost now. :(

---------------------------------------------------

I was able to download El Capitan from Apple Stor ... Should I forget about Yosemite and use El Capitan?

Hello everyone,

Yosemite is no longer available for download in Apple Store ... I don't know from I can get 10.10.2 or newer ... I am lost now. :(

---------------------------------------------------

I was able to download El Capitan from Apple Stor ... Should I forget about Yosemite and use El Capitan?

Afaik, El Capitan should work with x99. But if you have AsMedia, disable it for the install. 

If you have downloaded yosemite before, then it should be there though. 

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay ... I was struggling all night to over come this problem of not being able to reach the installing stage of MAC OS X Yosemite, due to the error of  "Couldn't allocate runtime area".

Now I am able to boot and reach the installing stage. :thumbsup_anim:

However ... the headache is horrible .... I need deep rest and sleep now.

I will come back here to tell you how I did it, step by step.

I think there is still a lot to be done.

So wait for my next post today.

Hello everyone,

Things are getting very exciting !!!! post-1696048-0-75222900-1460225904.png

--------------------------

1- The theory of having more than 1 PCI card will make the booting not possible is WRONG!!! Now I have 3 MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti all mounted to 3 PCI slots and all 3 are connected in 3-Way SLI and still, I am able to boot from the USB and reach the installation stage.

2- The recommended BIOS Settings: CFG to Disabled and VT-d to Disabled are also NOT TRUE!!! I am able to boot from the USB and reach the installation stage with both of these 2 setting enabled.

3- I did not disable ASMedia. However, I am able to boot from the USB and reach the installation stage.

---------------------------

I am not saying that I have full clean booting. For sure I can see some errors while booting because I used the flag -v. and I would love to discuss these errors with you guys.

So .... I decided to stop the full installation ... I prefer to do more reading and discussion about preparing things correctly.

I am willing to share with you many screen shot of all preparations and settings I used.

1. The PCI cards are working because of the test2.efi 

SLI is Software based, it only works in Windows and possibly other OSs I don't know of, but it does not work in OS X. However, your cards can work as triple GFX for you. 

2 and 3. The settings are just for reassurance.

Hello DwarfVador,

I did not use test2.efi

Then the AptioFix2 is doing its work. However, I'm not really sure what more the AptioFix is for. Maybe someone from the Clover team can enlighten us, if they're reading this. 

Looks good. Though that does not mean that your configuration applies to everyone. So saying that things are somewhat not true, is wrong to say. 

I will quote Download-Fritz for what Aptiofix is.  "AptioFix relocates memory and AptioFix2 does not. And PCIe only matters because of option ROMs, some new FWs load them fragmented and low. So, Aptiofix/boot.efi can't grab enough continuous memory < 4GB."

It depends from hardware to hardware, either way. 

Well,

Before I was not able to boot ... So I used "Clover Configurator.app" to make changes to the "config.plist" located in EFI > CLOVER ... Take a look on this:

post-1696048-0-90524600-1460229476_thumb.jpg

You see the flags I am using? What I did is changing boot.efi to boot64.efi ... After all, if we search in the entire EFI partition, there is not file called boot.efi. Once I change it to boot64.efi, things started to work.

Well,

Before I was not able to boot ... So I used "Clover Configurator.app" to make changes to the "config.plist" located in EFI > CLOVER ... Take a look on this:

attachicon.gifMAC06.jpg

You see the flags I am using? What I did is changing boot.efi to boot64.efi ... After all, if we search in the entire EFI partition, there is not file called boot.efi. Once I change it to boot64.efi, things started to work.

I think boot.efi was said generally to explain. Makes sense... :P