How To Play Windows Games On Mac

Slice

26 posts in this topic

Here I want to make instructions for those who still don't know what is Wine.

I live without MS Windows. How? All program I needed exist in Mac version or can be run through Wine.

What is Wine? Wine Is Not Emulator. It is Wrapper. It means that all processor commands execute natively with native speed and all library calls redirected to similar library calls using host system drivers.

The most questionable is DirectX calls. They are replaced by OpenGL calls and shaders run mostly natively.

Real test shows that same game run on the same computer under Wine a 10% slower then on real Windows. And sometimes even faster with poor quality. Sometimes a game will not work with your Windows version (requiring Vista only for example). Wine can report any version you like. Wine can run Windows 98 games. Sometimes a game will work on stretched window in real Windows. In Wine it works with square pixels  :yes:

OK, go!

1. Download Wineskin Winery application. It is portal to this solution. It works in ElCapitan no matter what download said.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.13.19.png

2. Start it.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.38.47.png

3. Click + to choose an Engine. Download what proposed.

4. Click "Update Wrapper"

5. Quit the Winery for this moment.

6. Download WrapperUpdate5 and Sherry engines.      Binary releases and tests    

7. Unpack and copy WrapperUpdate to Wineskin folder

cp -R ~/Downloads/WrapperUpdate5/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/Wineskin/Wrapper/Wineskin-2.6.2.app/Contents/Frameworks/

8. Copy WineSherry to engines folder

cp -R ~/Downloads/WS9WineSherry-1.9.7.tar.7z ~/Library/Application\ Support/Wineskin/Engines/

9. Start Winery again.

10. Create New Blank Wrapper.

11. Show it in Finder and quit Winery.

12. Start the Wrapper.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.48.01.png

13. Click "Install Software" and choose windows executable setup.exe of your favorite game. Enloy!

14. Next time you may Open Package Content of the Wrapper and see Wineskin application here. Launch it to see as 12.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.50.29.png

15. Click Advanced and see more options.

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 8.51.01.png

Configuration:

Browse - to choose other executable

EXE Flags - if the application need it

Install Sofware - to install more applications into the same wrapper

Test Run - to run extra applications

Tools:

Config Utility (winecfg) - to set some options needed for some game, somehow workarounds if a game will not works.

Registry Editor - same as on Windows. To change some Windows and Applications settings

Winetricks - special actions to help some applications work in Wine

Change Engine Used - to install new WineSherry

Kill Wineskin Processes -  if the Applications stalls. Like Ctrl-Alt-Del on real Windows. You can skip black screen of hanged application by pressing ALT-TAB

Options

I will not recommend to set something else here

Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.01.21.png

So the Wineskin with Sherry has many abilities to tune for a game and many Windows games really working under Wine.

DirectX9 almost all.

DirectX10/11 the work in progress.

Wine is developed very actively. More then 300 commits every two weeks.

AT this stage I accepted all WineHQ commits and keep my 140 patches specific in Sherry.

The instruction thread will be continued. Ask!

• Like 13

Works fine here   :D

WS9WineSherry-1.9.7.tar.7z

Don't know if it is necessary but do you think we should have a separated topic for all Windows games which work fine with your engine?   ^_^

Yes, It should be separate thread keeping this thread for questions about the instruction.

• Like 1

Works fine here   :D

WS9WineSherry-1.9.7.tar.7z

attachicon.gifM-B-R.png

Don't know if it is necessary but do you think we should have a separated topic for all Windows games which work fine with your engine?   ^_^

Its a very good idea!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to create the wrapper apps in a folder other than User/Applications?  I deleted that folder and use the System/Application folder instead.  I didn't see any setting that allows me to change the default location for wrappers.  Thanks.

I am trying to install a windows app that uses a setup.xml to provide the order of installing several msi components.  Wine can't seem to open the xml file so it doesn't know the location or order of the msi files that are needed to install the complete app.  Any ideas how to work around or fix that?  BTW, it's not a Windows game so if this only applies to games and not to other apps, please let me know.  I'm trying to install WordPerfect X8.  Thanks.

It is not "for game only", it is for any windows application. But some applications require tricks and others are not working yet. In this case it should be reported to bugs.winehq.org.

Now I found

Bug 11747 - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3/X4 trial installers crash

Bug 27240 - Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3/X4 trial installer crashes

There is workaround

Winetricks  -> msxml3

Снимок экрана 2017-04-18 в 7.40.10.png

• Like 1

Very interesting concept. I will have to try for myself when I get home. I assume this will only work for basic games currently; as you stated that no DX10/11 support was included as of today. I wonder then, if a more advanced DX9 game Far Cry 1 or 2 may work. I tried Wine a while ago running games but it didn't work out so great so I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

Very interesting concept. I will have to try for myself when I get home. I assume this will only work for basic games currently; as you stated that no DX10/11 support was included as of today. I wonder then, if a more advanced DX9 game Far Cry 1 or 2 may work. I tried Wine a while ago running games but it didn't work out so great so I'm very interested to see how it turns out.

A while ago is too aged. The wine is fast updated.

About Far Cry see bugzilla

https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=Far%20Cry

• Like 1

It is not "for game only", it is for any windows application. But some applications require tricks and others are not working yet. In this case it should be reported to bugs.winehq.org.

Now I found

Bug 11747 - CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3/X4 trial installers crash

Bug 27240 - Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3/X4 trial installer crashes

There is workaround

Winetricks  -> msxml3

attachicon.gifСнимок экрана 2017-04-18 в 7.40.10.png

Thanks for your reply.  I have tried Wine and wine-based apps in the past so that I wouldn't have to run a virtual machine of Windows on my laptop.  The one Windows app I need for my work is WordPerfect and I prefer to have the most recent version because of the features it now offers that past versions did not have.  Wine has always had problems with Corel apps and the Draw and Paint apps above are several years old.  My installation issue is different than those because the installer has changed in the past few years.  Right now, I'm using WordPerfect X8 and there is nothing in any of the forums to get versions of WordPerfect to work beyond WP 8 (i.e. 10 versions ago.). I'll keep checking on this from time-to-time and maybe Wine will make enough advances to serve my purpose.  Until then, I will continue to run a VM of Windows on my PC running macOS natively.  I always get a laugh saying that since there are compelling reasons to just run Windows natively.  While I could run my VM so that the Windows apps I want can run in macOS, I have gotten used to having separate desktops for work (Windows) and play (macOS).

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...