Briefly: OSx86 10.4.8 Cracked....Legally?

sHARD>>

66 posts in this topic

Lostgame, I know i shouldn't be this rude, but do you have a clue what the banner of this site says? If you don't realize the % of posts that are related to x86 here, it's very very high. The community is based upon x86 users for the most part. Anyways, good news to hear.

And why are you here at all? An Apple "secret agent", I suppose?

Well, then tell your bosses to stop selling their hardware almost double the price, especially upgrades (when available at all).

That is certainly true if you pay in Euro. With the cost of a Mini you can build a desktop twice the specs.

They stopped selling their hardware at almost double the price when they switched to Intel. For example:

Mac Pro: $2,499 sounds like a lot, eh? AnandTech says otherwise. Here, Apple's baseline model beats out the dell by several hundred, and evem matches a homebrew system - without a case, PSU, or OS - And the Mac has a much better software bundle and OS. The Mac's price advantage over the Dell grows to to nearly $1,000 as you move up the food chain.

Mac mini: Yes, it's not hard to find a better hardware value than the mini. But can you really compare a 2-foot high tower with a 2-inch thick square? Of course not. In a fair comparision with an AOpen MiniPC, you would need to spend ~$775 to get a system comparable to Apple's $599 mini. Here too, the Mac has a much better software bundle. Here's the list of retailers, in case you wish to verify my claim. I used the myAOpen configurator, if you're curious.

The remainder of Apple's linup is meerly comparable to similarly-configured PCs, but the Mac still wins on software.

So that concludes my assault on your theory. Mind you, I'm still not a huge fan of Apple's linup, mainly because Apple does not offer a consumer tower (i.e. an expandable machine in the sub-$1,500 price range). But the machines they do offer are very price competitive.

Just for the record (on the lostgame point), this site was originally started as a venue to discuss everything OSx86 related, although the meaning of that term gradually moved from "OS X on Intel chips" to "hacking OS X on x86." We've been here throughout that transition and we will continue to strive to be the greatest venue for both discussions...

...mainly because they both need to be discussed. Either way, OSx86 is Apple's greatest marketing tool and, legal or not, moral or not, the world deserves a place to discuss it. That place will always be here. :)

I have just customized some Thinkpads to a similar configuration with the new MBP. Here are the results:

MBP (reference): 1999$

Lenovo Custom Z60: 1799$

- 2.00 GHz Core 2 (instead of 2.16 Ghz)

- Radeon X1400 (instead of X1600)

- comes with WinXP Home Edition and no supplemental software (iLife, PhotoBooth,...)

- bigger and heavier (Z series)

- no firewire 800

+ 8x dvd burner (instead of 6x)

+ better battery life (9 cell battery)

+ 3-1 digital media reader (SD/MMC/MS)

+ modem

+ better resolution (15.4" WSXGA+ TFT with integrated camera 1680x1050 )

Lenovo Custom T60: 1908$

- 2.00 GHz Core 2 (instead of 2.16 Ghz)

- Radeon X1400 (instead of X1600)

- comes with WinXP Prof Edition and no supplemental software (iLife,...)

- no firewire 800

- no integrated webcam (Lenovo USB WebCam [add $79.95])

+- no widescreen ;)

+ 8x dvd burner (instead of 6x)

+ better battery life (9 cell battery)

+ modem

+ fingerprint reader

+ slightly better resolution (15.0" SXGA+ IPS TFT FlexView Display with wide viewing angle and high density - 1400x1050)

The rest are quite similar....

1 GB RAM

120 GB HDD

video 128MB

Intel Wireless/Lenovo miniPCI wireless

Bluetooth (don't know if Lenovo has BT2)

full keyboard

great casings

Lenovo prices include (49$) 1 year warranty, as custom models have no warranty at all...

You might say they are quite similar, but bear in mind that if you add to lenovo Roxio Easy Media Creator V8 [$89.99] (iDVD); Corel Photo Album Deluxe [$28.41] (iPhoto) and other applications to replace garage band a.s.o. the price goes way up.

My conclusion is that apple hardware is not over-priced, rather is not that customizable. A MBP with Core 2 Duo 1.83, 80gb HDD, NO SOFTWARE AT ALL :) and no pretty lights would be quite cheap. But they aim high :)

Also, you cannot get a MBP cheaper because is has no OS so that you can then install linux or a pirated copy of windows :D

Maybe the process of hacking the kernel is becoming (semi) legal.

But that by know means grants you a license to use the software. I don't think this changes very much at all.

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting in the technological sense. But the world is the same place it was yesterday. :)

(Holy sandwiches, look at the read count! :D)

Sse2 and sse3 question

I am the match raise d2.8, supports sse3 inside cpu-z...

It is not exactly clear what you are asking.

It sounds like you have might have a 2.8 GHz Pentium D, which of course supports SSE3.

... but in mac how all is sse2?

Real Macs use SSE3, but people have found ways to "patch" OS X so that SSE2 machines can be used to run OSx86 (hacked versions of OS X).

Installment time is chooses sse2 or sse3?

Yes, during the installation process one decides whether to use an "SSE2 patch" or not.

However, I do not believe the new 10.4.8 kernel has a "SSE2 patch" yet, but I know that people (Semthex in particular) are working on it now.

In case you do not know, there is a Chinese language OSx86 site here: http://bbs.osx86china.com/ and we also have a Chinese language sub-forum: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=117

Sorry, my English is not very good, thanks your help.

I said my question.

I use am celeron D am with sse2 or the sse3 patch?

In cpu-z. celeron D supports sse3, has installed mac time also has chosen sse3, in demonstrates only is sse2

can tell me to promote uses sse2 or the sse3 patch?

I said my question.

In cpu-z. celeron D supports sse3, has installed mac time also has chosen sse3, in demonstrates only is sse2

post-60281-1161877820_thumb.jpg

Ok, I understand exactly what you are asking about now. :gathering:

In cpu-z. celeron D supports sse3...

Right, the Celeron D is an SSE3 chip.

So, you should not use the "SSE3 patch" for OSx86.

... has installed mac time also has chosen sse3, in demonstrates only is sse2

This question has come up many times before (it should be added to the FAQ).

The OSx86 "System Profiler" is simply misreading the chip identification data. It does not say "SSE3" even though SSE3 is present. However, this is not a real problem because the kernel is still using SSE3.

The same thing happens on my Pentium D 920:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:	Apple Development Platform
 Machine Model:	ADP2,1
 CPU Type:	Intel® Pentium® D CPU
 Number Of CPUs:	2
 CPU Speed:	4 GHz
 L2 Cache (per CPU):	2 MB
 CPU Features:	FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

Not only is "SSE3" missing, but the "CPU Speed" is wrong. It should read "2.8 GHz" not "4 GHz". Again, this not a real issue, my machine runs at 2.8GHz with SSE3 despite what this says. It is just a little bug left over from a slightly imperfect hacking process.

Don't worry about it.

See this for more details: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...994&hl=SSE3

Okay... does anyone know of any blogs or instructions floating around that will tell us non-unix geeks on how to take the legal kernel that was recently published, add what it needed to run OSX, and then install it into our OSX86 builds?

Thanks in advance....

-- Ryan

Sorry, you must understand, it's perfectly reasonable, I'm so sick of the e-mails and MSN/AIM's I get from n00bs who say "Mac is so slow" and they're running it from their 1.2 ghz P4 with 256 MB RAM and a 16 MB video card.

thanks for being a {censored}. oh, and aceplayer, sorry but i couldnt resist.... :-p

LOL. I know you couldn't.

Ok i'm going to agree with what ever he said. I'm going to agree with what ever lostgame said. Just for fun. And so he's not alone.

But Mash did say this site has it changed in terms of what it's point was since it was created way way way back in..... ? :)

Sorry, you must understand, it's perfectly reasonable, I'm so sick of the e-mails and MSN/AIM's I get from n00bs who say "Mac is so slow" and they're running it from their 1.2 ghz P4 with 256 MB RAM and a 16 MB video card.

Not to slow on 1.4 ghz Celeron M with 512 MB Ram and a 64 MB intel graphics.

Thanks extremely, what cpu can tell me to be able to use sse3 what cpu to have to use sse2?

I am not sure what you are asking here, again.

(1) If you are asking which CPU's correctly report SSE3 data in System Profiler, I think they are now the Core Duo (Yonah) and above. According to SuperHai, the CPU identification string format was change with the Core Duo, so all the Pentium and Celerons are misread.

(2) But if you asking which CPU's support SSE3 and which SSE2, see these lists:

SSE3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3

SSE2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

And why are you here at all? An Apple "secret agent", I suppose?

Well, then tell your bosses to stop selling their hardware almost double the price, especially upgrades (when available at all).

That is certainly true if you pay in Euro. With the cost of a Mini you can build a desktop twice the specs.

... Which is excactly as I did :D