Please Advise on New Build Components

32 posts in this topic

(Post updated based on feedback below.)

Intro:  Long time Mac guy (25 yrs), short time PC builder (4 years), looking to successfully and as painlessly as possible build a hackintosh as my next power computer.  Big fan of Apple, but as a power user I've grown increasingly frustrated at the lack of hardware upgradability and the "Apple Tax" for things like RAM that you can no longer really upgrade yourself in things like the iMac.  A <$2k hackintosh and I can do better than the iMac?-- sign me up!  I've been following the community very very lightly for the last few years and finally think it's time to replace my aging 2008 Mac Pro while it's still mostly functional.

Use:  The only component I don't really need to be "tip-top" is the GPU since almost none of what I do is GPU-accelerated (as in, I don't game).  I do a fair amount in Photoshop and Illustrator, but most of that stuff isn't passed off to the GPU (yet), and I do 3D animation, but that renders on the CPU and the GPU is only for navigation when building the 3D model.  I also do a lot of programming that's fully threaded and takes hours to run, so an i7 chip is needed, as is fast.

The PC PartsPicker:  Current version is here:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TWJJvK  (NOTE: SSDs and Monitor I already have.)

Parts Justification/Questions:  (Note I was originally on "another" site and got parts ideas from there, before I realized they're more commercial than wanting to help.)

• CPU:  i7-6700K
    • I do have a top-model iMac at work, and I  :wub:  this processor.
  • CPU Cooler:  Corsair H105
    • My understanding is Corsair Link tech doesn't work in OS X, so there's no point in getting one that has that enabled.
  • Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z170A
    • ​These days, for an ATX form factor motherboard, it seems like really the biggest choice you have to make is ports.  This has 6 SATA @6GB/s connectors, 4 USB 3.1 (one USB-C form) and 3 USB 1.1/2.0.  And when I was originally looking the "other" site suggested people hadn't had issues with this board.
    • This has 2 CPU fan connectors and 3 chassis, but the case I want has 4 chassis fans -> replace 1 with the cooler.  Therefore, I'll need a fan splitter and/or considering a fan controller.
    • At one point, I had SMB Fan Control (or something like that?) installed in OS X; my question is, can something like that control the fan speed?
  • RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 4x8GB DDR4-2400
    • It'll be nice to finally have a computer with >16 GB of RAM.  This is motherboard compatible, and my understanding is that OS X now supports DDR4.
  • Storage:  2x1TB SSD (I actually already have these, but I put them in for completeness -- one drive for OS/programs/etc., one drive for rapid-storage data, and I have 2 external 5TB drives for other data).
  • GPU:  EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC
    • As I mentioned above, I don't need a top-line GPU, but I do have some programs I use that can take advantage of GPU acceleration, and after working on my last conference poster that took several seconds to scroll around in Illustrator, I'm ready for something better than what I have.
    • And, the motherboard supports NVIDIA's SLI so I can always get a second and link them.
  • Case:  Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower
    • Yes, it's big.  This is what my Windows/Linux box was recently migrated to and I love it.  I'm also one who hates cramped areas, and this case has plenty of room to work in and for expansion and other storage.
    • It also has an additional 4 USB 1.1/2.0 ports, 2 USB 3.0, FW400, and audio in/out, so even though the motherboard doesn't have that many USB 3 (and I also have a 10-port hub), this case adds to that.
  • PSU:  650W 80+ Gold
    • PC PartPicker says this is a 339W rig, another site said 327, adding a GPU in the future puts it to around 450-500, so a 550W looked reasonable but the 650W was the same price when I was putting this together.
    • I also wanted Gold or better efficiency rating.
  • Optical Drive:  LG WH14NS40 (I have Toast so I can read/write bluray)
  • Network Card:  Broadcom BCM94360CD card.
  • Monitor, keyboard, mouse:  Have all these, in fact the monitory will be arriving Wednesday because my 2008 30" Apple Cinema Display just died this weekend.  :(   Replacing with a 4K Samsung which I know my 2008 Mac Pro can't drive, so I'll be swapping with my older Dell that's on my Windows machine until I build a hackintosh.
  • Other:  Haven't 100% decided yet, but I'll need at least a fan splitter to hook up all the fans to the motherboard, and/or considering a fan controller that would fit in the 5.25" bay to ensure that things stay cool when I run this sucker at 100% for hours on end.

Final two questions: I had a friend ping me on FB when I asked if anyone had Hackintosh experience, and he said he had horrible luck with his audio on his motherboard (GA-Z77-DS3H), could never get a PCI slot wifi card to work, and his GPU (EVGA GeForce 960 GTX 4GB, also tried MSI GeForce 460TGX 2GB) only runs at 20-25% the capability as when he boots under Windows.  Obviously problems that I would like to avoid, so I'm wondering if these happen to be common issues or if it's uncommon.

Thanks in advance!

This seems to me a very very good choice of HW for a new mac ;)

there is a success story already with this mainboard, and gpu should work with full power using Nvidia Web drivers!

Keep in mind that skylake is really new, and there is only one real apple computer using it so it could be harder to configure, but that's the fun part so...

Good luck with your new hack and remember to share some astropictures post processed with this new beast!

Thanks, though I might trade "fun" for "works easily." :)  Any idea where I can find answers to the 4 questions and a networking card?

Edited to Add: I do see that there's a whole sub-sub-forum on LAN and Wireless, but there are so many pinned posts, it's hard to find a basic, "This is a reasonable wireless card and works easily."

Hi,

1. Motherboard 

This is of course a very important component for your build. I understand that the motherboard you've chosen got good reviews and is top selling, however it got more than 14 USBs. Apple uses 14 USBs max, and it is advised to stay within that range (Internal and external USB). The motherboard you've chosen also got Creative audio, as far as I know that is not supported. 

I suggest the motherboard MSI Z170 KRAIT Gaming.   

2. RAM 

When it comes to RAM, no mac uses DDR4, but it still works with hackintosh so don't worry. :P

Apple uses a specific OS X El Capitan install build for iMac. As you can't use that specific build there is no proper Power Management. However, some might say there is. (correct me if I am wrong, anyone). 

But the RAM you've chosen is fine. 

3. PSU

I suggest you choose the PSU very carefully, as this is the heart of the computer. Anything can go wrong, you might not think that, but you never know. 

Other stuff

You got onboard LAN. If you want WiFi then I suggest BCM94360CD Apple wifi card. 

About your two last questions, I suggest a board with ALC1150 as mentioned earlier. Apple uses AMD graphics cards, and they seem to run better with OS X. Though it can be difficult to get AMD cards up running for hackintosh. The graphics card you listed is fine, as you mentioned that you don't need much graphics power. 

Good luck. 

Thanks, DwarfVador.

Motherboard:  I'm certainly not wedded to the one I picked out, though I would like one with at least a USB-C styled port.  Though maybe with a simple type a male to type c female this isn't an issue?  I'd prefer a few more SATA ports but it's not a game-killer to have 4 (optical+2SSD, but option for 2nd optical and 1-2HDD for storage might be nice).  My inquiry about the number of chassis fans, however, remains since this motherboard also only has 3 chassis fans.  But I guess I didn't know I was also tied by the maximum that OS X supports ... any idea how many that is? I think my Mac Pro has at least 4 inside.  (Most of my questions in my original post were actually about fans, which I find insanely mundane for something as interesting as a new computer.)  I have no idea about sound chips, so ALC1150 "sounds" about as good as anything else to me -- better, even, if it's easier to work with.

RAM:  Ah, my bad.  But if it works, then I learned something and don't need to change something.

PSU:  I have same brand, 750W model, Bronze rating on my Windows machine.  Haven't had issues, wasn't aware of any?

LAN:  Yes, but I was hoping for wireless.  Guess I don't *need*-need wireless since I have ethernet for the desktop it'd be replacing at home, but my understanding was that for them new-fangled things like AirDrop.

GPU:  My MacPro originally came with NVIDIA :).  

Well you can find another motherboard with ALC1150 or other ALC that is supported. USBs can get fixed with DSDT or third party kexts. I was just suggesting that less than 14 is better. 

As I said earlier BCM94360CD Apple Airport card works out of the box. 

AMD GFX is what Apple uses the most of now, however Nvidia works. 

I don't know much about fans, sorry. I guess you could use PWM splitter of some sort, if you need many fans.....? 

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

Okay, for some reason my eyes completely glossed over your note about the BCM94360CD card.  Completely missed it, sorry.

For the motherboard, it looks like something incredibly similar to what you suggested would fit, like the MSI Gaming Z170A-G45, or something much more expensive like MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION.  Those have the Realtek ALC1150 sound chip, and what I can do is simply not connect some of the case USB cables to the motherboard to keep it under 14.  ... though now I'm confused.  On the original I posted, I count 11 USB ports *on* the motherboard, while the one you suggested also has 11 USB ports *on* the motherboard; the difference is for your suggestion, 3 are connectors for case USB, and on my original 4 were?

On fans, okay, yes, some stupidly simple Google searching I didn't do shows that I can get splitters.  I'm only slightly paranoid about burning components out if the system can't control fan speed or something, considering a few times a day I run everything at 100%.

14 USBs restriction is only for the motherboard afaik, doesn't count with the cases USB or any other hub. Sorry, I might've not seen your motherboards specifications thoroughly. 

You could get an advanced fan controller...? 

Yeah, a fan controller may be something to look into.

Regarding PSU, I could also wait until something is on sale -- in NewEgg's promo email this morning, a Corsair 760 Platinum certified PSU was on sale for just about $10 more than the one I selected above, something like a 40% savings, plus a $30 MIR.

Yeah, a fan controller may be something to look into.

Regarding PSU, I could also wait until something is on sale -- in NewEgg's promo email this morning, a Corsair 760 Platinum certified PSU was on sale for just about $10 more than the one I selected above, something like a 40% savings, plus a $30 MIR.

sounds good. 

Just met with a coworker today who built one five years ago and has an HP laptop on which he has OS X running.  Just to see if he had other tips/tricks/issues as someone I know who I can meet with in person to talk with about this.  He had no suggestions really other than emphasizing that this isn't something that'll take a few hours, but it'll likely take a few days before everything's working properly.  Sigh.

I've updated the PC PartPicker list.

Just met with a coworker today who built one five years ago and has an HP laptop on which he has OS X running.  Just to see if he had other tips/tricks/issues as someone I know who I can meet with in person to talk with about this.  He had no suggestions really other than emphasizing that this isn't something that'll take a few hours, but it'll likely take a few days before everything's working properly.  Sigh.

I've updated the PC PartPicker list.

Laptops take more time. 

When you get your parts, come to the chat and we'll help you. Or just write here. :) 

Laptops take more time. 

When you get your parts, come to the chat and we'll help you. Or just write here. :)

Oh, I will, don't worry.  I leave in 10 hours for a 2.5-week vacation in Spain, so this is a "May-ish" project.  If I had someone bringing in boxes, I would've ordered the PSU today while NewEgg still has the deal going for a Platinum-rated one ... but I suspect that it'll be on sale again in the near future.

Oh, I will, don't worry.  I leave in 10 hours for a 2.5-week vacation in Spain, so this is a "May-ish" project.  If I had someone bringing in boxes, I would've ordered the PSU today while NewEgg still has the deal going for a Platinum-rated one ... but I suspect that it'll be on sale again in the near future.

Sales come and go. Have a nice vacation. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a 17-day vacation in Spain (well, just got back +9 hrs of sleep).  While away, NewEgg had some deals so my updated PC PartPicker list is here, also indicating the parts already purchased and the price:  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/skWfsY

I bought the RAM on sale (same RAM as originally discussed).  Also got the same GPU but with 4GB of memory rather than 2GB for $5 less than the 2GB one's normal price.  Also got a different motherboard.  It still has the RealTek ALC1150 audio (so, √ on that), but it has some more connectors including my lucky number 4 chassis fan connectors.  Its number of USB ports is 13, less than 14, and it also supports Thunderbolt and the next-gen M.2 sockets with 3 rather than 1.  Got it on sale for $200 rather than its normal $253 (though the $200 includes a $20 MIR, as does the GPU I mentioned), which is the same price as the other board we were looking at.

Bad news about the monitor, though.  It's not good.  Or I got a lemon.  It has severe color variations across the screen, where the center is blue cast and the corners are red.  So I got a RMA before I left and will be mailing it back for a full refund on Monday (before April 28, as required).  I looked at a bunch of 4K monitors ... the Samsung still seems to be getting the best reviews for the price point, so I'm leaning towards I got a lemon?  But I'm wary.  The color issues were giving me a problem with normal work, it'd be impossible to use for photography.

TN panel won't suit your needs, get an IPS panel or a PLS panel, and you will love it. I got PB279Q 4K monitor, it is IPS, 100% sRGB and I love it. They are expensive, but try to find one with a nice price tag. 

In my opinion, I wouldn't go for 850 EVO SSDs, the reason is that they're TLC. Better off going for 850 PRO SSDs, they're MLC. 

You can read more about SLC, MLC and TLC, just google it. 

Thanks, I hadn't thought about different monitor tech before, nor SSD tech.  The SSDs are already purchased (one in the current desktop as a data drive, one for a different application I never used), so I'm not going to change that one at this point, but I will write it down for the inevitable storage upgrade that'll be needed in ~1-2 years.  Looking into IPS and PLS displays now ...

Thanks, I hadn't thought about different monitor tech before, nor SSD tech.  The SSDs are already purchased (one in the current desktop as a data drive, one for a different application I never used), so I'm not going to change that one at this point, but I will write it down for the inevitable storage upgrade that'll be needed in ~1-2 years.  Looking into IPS and PLS displays now ...

Sounds good. 

Wow, reading reviews of 32"-class 4K IPS monitors is depressing.  So far, your ASUS (32" version -- the PA328Q) is best but of course $400 more than the LG or Acer.  Don't really want to spend $1223, so I'll be looking at 27"-class, too.  (I'm coming from a 30" old-school Apple Cinema Display, and a 28" Dell.)

Wow, reading reviews of 32"-class 4K IPS monitors is depressing.  So far, your ASUS (32" version -- the PA328Q) is best but of course $400 more than the LG or Acer.  Don't really want to spend $1223, so I'll be looking at 27"-class, too.  (I'm coming from a 30" old-school Apple Cinema Display, and a 28" Dell.)

Mine is actually 27" PB279Q. 

Okay, everything'll be here by Wednesday, so I went to start to prepare the bootable USB tonight.  Figured I'd use Pandora.  Followed the video, but confused on two parts.  One is that Zeus was used to patch a very particular AppleHDA.kext which I don't have, and the other is that at the end, Enoch was installed as a bootloader on the install USB (not the EFI), but much earlier in the video, Clover was.  So, (A) do I need the AppleHDA.kext and to patch it, and (B) was the Enoch just a demo "if you want instead" or is it really supposed to be installed over Clover?

If you don't want to answer here, I'll post in a more relevant forum.

Hi, I don't suggest Pandora. Sorry to the Pandora team, but I've never used Pandora and I think manual work is better than Pandora. Use clover.  This guide is good. 

(a) Does all that still work with 10.11 (i.e., just follow through step 5?), and (b ) so I follow the steps here, then build my computer and put this USB stick in, load up the BIOS, and boot from that stick and everything should magically and deliciously work, right*?

*Said tongue unfortunately in cheek as I recognize that there's probably tweaking I'll need to do, but the steps through "boot from that stick" are correct, correct?

If the USB is made correctly, then it should work. 

Just use this command line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

If you want, I can make the USB for you, we can go further about this in PM or in the chat.