Convert Intel Based El Capitan VM to AMD based

WildwoodNC

3 posts in this topic

I'm really a noob to this, so forgive me if I ask stupid questions.  I really think I just need guidance that I'm heading in the right direction. 

I used Fuision71au's guide along with some others on the internet to get a Virtualbox VM up and running and imessage working using clover.  I'd like to run this on more of my pc's including some AMD FX based ones. My thought was that I could boot the VM on intel, make the changes necessary for AMD and then copy it over to the AMD machine.  

My understanding is that I need to swap the kernel out for the AMD kernel.  I have the kernel and I know it goes into /System/Library/Kernels.

1. I can't just copy the kernel in, because it tells me that the operation is not permitted.  I've tried using csrutil disable booted into recovery but it doesn't stick.  I'm not sure why.  It reverts to enabled after reboot. Is there another way to get the Kernel copied over to /System/Library/Kernels ? 

2. Assuming I can get the kernel copied over I believe I need to make some changes to config.plist.  I've found this post but honestly, I'm not sure what these do.  I'd like to understand what needs to be in config.plist in order to get the AMD kernel to work properly.  Is there a good guide to what the AMD kernel options and requirements are? 

Am I on the right track?  Is there any knowledge or guideance or silver bullet you could tell me to get this working? 

Any assistance is appreciated.

I've managed to get the AMD kernel onto the volume by booting a yosemite VM and mounting the virtual disk.  I've also mounted the El Capitan EFI volume and can modify the clover config.plist.

I'd really appreciate if someone had some good info on what is required for the clover config.plist to use the AMD. 

I found this in another thread:

<key>CPU</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Type</key>
        <string>0x0301</string>
    </dict

Is this all that is required?  Does it matter if it is AMD vs AMD fx ?  I have and FX cpu. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.