EFI BIOS for Sapphire HD5450?

shawlyx

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

my virtualized Mac uses OVMF and Clover for the EFI based system.

Now I wanted to pass through my old Sapphire HD5450 that has been lying around, but the problem is, the VBIOS of the card isn't EFI compatible, which results in a Blackscreen..

I don't want to buy a new card, since the HD5450 works fine with motherboards that support CSM, so I wanted to ask how I can mod the BIOS to support EFI.

I know there is the latest Powercolor HD5450 which supports EFI, but I can't find it's VBIOS anywhere on the net, I thought maybe I could just flash the Powercolor VBIOS onto my Sapphire and it'd work.

Could someone help me out a little?

Here's the BIOS from my Sapphire HD5450: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/133284/sapphire-hd5450-1024-120806.html

Here you go. I've added the EFI GOP section to the rom you linked to with GOPupd. I've used this in the past to add EFI support to a Asus HD5450.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to use the force flash option when flashing it.

Hello, is it also possible to get EFI GOP for 4800 series, 4850 to be more precise?

Here you go. I've added the EFI GOP section to the rom you linked to with GOPupd. I've used this in the past to add EFI support to a Asus HD5450.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to use the force flash option when flashing it.

Oh my god thank you! Never expected that anywould would do this for me, you saved me a lot of time, thank you!

• Like 1

Hello, is it also possible to get EFI GOP for 4800 series, 4850 to be more precise?

The 4800 series isn't in the list of supported cards so I'm guessing it's not possible.

Oh my god thank you! Never expected that anywould would do this for me, you saved me a lot of time, thank you!

Glad to help :)

The 4800 series isn't in the list of supported cards so I'm guessing it's not possible.

Glad to help :)

Hell yeah this worked, thanks!

Though before I flashed I did a backup of the original VBIOS and while flashing it showed the EFI BIOS had an older version, I feel a little uncomfortable since with another VM I got heavy artifacts and screen tearing, seems like the BIOS I linked in the first post wasn't exactly the BIOS for my gpu here, even though it works.

I don't want to bother you, but could you also patch the original BIOS I linked in this attachment here? So I can verify if the BIOS is at fault or not.

That would be awesome. :)

sapphire_hd5450_rom.zip

• 5 months later...

Hi, thanks for the very helpful posts. Was the Asus card the "silent" version with 1Gb DDR2? I have one here, that would great to use in my Mac Pro 3,1 if it could be flashed.

Thanks! That gives me some hope. Will report back when I have some results.

Edit: Other candidates I have are an Asus Nvidia 8600 GTS (the one with a giant silent heatsink) and another Nividia 8800 GTX from some off brand. Anyone had luck flashing these for  Mac Pro? My MP 3,1 deserves to display its startup apple (and I would like to boot into other modes like rEFIt with it). But thats probably for another thread.

It will be twice the size, as it now includes the UEFI rom. You need to use the force option in atiflash to get it to write. I think this is covered early in this thread.

Unless your card has a smaller flash chip.

I double-checked mine (I'm not using it currently) and it's the DDR3 model. There's many variations in cards (which is why I always suggest to dump your own BIOS for modding). But my original BIOS file is 128k. Some are like this, and GOPupd will trim them down to 64k before adding the UEFI ROM.

Atiflash should be able to show the FLASH chip type and capacity if you want to check.

• Like 1

Right, I am slowly getting the hang of this. Just flashed a Geforce GTX 460, and it is still in the machine I am writing this on so it must have been right. GPU-Z reports that it has UEFI now. But I have yet to try it in my MP.

Is it possible to use GOPupd on G80 and G84 cards? I am not seeing them in the list.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have the correct ASUS 5450 Silent UEFI patched BIOS (NOT the DDR2 version, but the 1 Gb DDR3 version). I have tried making the file myself with the GOPupdater but I get:

Data after ROM and not part of EFI! Please report it!

Unable to recover extra data at the same offset 0xFF80! Please report it!

Here is the dump of my vbios (using GPU-z) if anyone can help?

Thanks in advance.

172386DU.rom

• 1 year later...