Need help booting into OS X

skrub

5 posts in this topic

I have Windows 7 and OS X El Capitan on a single GPT formatted Hard Drive. Both OSes work fine, and I already have everything working on OS X. The problem is booting into OS X. I need to use an MBR formatted USB flash drive to start Clover to boot into it, which means I have to always have it to load OS X.

I installed Clover and told it it to put it's files in the ESP. I extracted the boot0hfs file from Chameleon's binaries and put it at the root of my EFI partition. My computer uses a legacy BIOS interface but I think it has some form of UEFI because Clover does come up when I boot from my hard drive. I can't use it though because it appears in a weird resolution, only shows my bootable partitions and when I load OS X, it freezes at the Apple logo and won't go any further. I've uploaded an image of the result below showing what Clover looks like when I load it.

EDIT: Images always appear upside down when uploaded from my phone.

EDIT 2: Sorry, wrong subforum. I don't know how to move it.

post-1161379-0-48995600-1457402349_thumb.jpg

Can you show me a picture of the computer in verbose mode (using the -v boot flag)? Then I may be able to resolve your issues booting OS X. Why are you using the Chameleon files anyway!? You should either use Chameleon or Clover, not both. Also, the trunk of Chameleon (Cham 2.3) cannot boot El Capitan. I recommend Chameleon (the Enoch branch of Chameleon) for a BIOS motherboard. Wipe your drive and reinstall using Enoch Chameleon.

Hope I could help,

- Matt

I'm not using Chameleon, I'm using the boot0hfs file in the binary in the trunk to load Clover. I can't load OS X in verbose because the bootloader is broken, as in the image. I can get into OS X using a USB drive as a bootloader and that's the only way I can get in, and I want to load Clover on my hard drive so I don't need to boot off the USB every time.

If you want to reinstall Clover then, all you need to do is boot into OS X from the USB.

If you installed clover to the ESP:

Then run this in Terminal: 'defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1.' Then open Disk Utility. In the menu bar, there should be a menu called 'Debug.' If you open it, check 'Show All Partitions.' Then mount the 'EFI' partition under your HDD. Once that is done, go to /Volumes/EFI/EFI and delete the 'CLOVER' folder. Then you can proceed to reinstall the bootloader.

If you didn't install it to the ESP then just delete /EFI/Clover. Then just reinstall the bootloader.

Again though, Chameleon (Enoch branch for El Capitan) tends to work better with BIOS based systems.

Anyway,

Hope I could help,

- Matt

So I reinstalled the bootloader using your method and booted from a Windows 7 install USB, went to the command prompt and set the boot file to CLOVERX64.efi. Clover appears now but I have another problem. I'll try to address it myself though. If you're wondering what appears when I boot from verbose it's just +++++++++++++++ . Thanks for the help in getting it to work.