AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

Can someone please explain what the protocol now is to get audio working with the latest applealc? Without having a layout set in my DSDT just in case of future changes i dont want to set it in my dsdt anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

Can someone please explain what the protocol now is to get audio working with the latest applealc? Without having a layout set in my DSDT just in case of future changes i dont want to set it in my dsdt anymore.

I can't explain the protocol but only what I've do on my system.

1. Don't modify my DSDT

2. Use same inject layout-id like High Sierra = 1 (layout-id=1 don't exist now in Mojave for ALC892, my chipset)

3. ALC 1.2.8v2 seems to be changing everything on its own to work in Mojave

AppleALC Changelog

v1.2.8

Added basic 10.14 compatibility via masking real layout-id
AppleALC selected layout-id is now shown as alc-layout-id in ioreg
Overriden layout-id can be passed asapple-layout-id (alcaaplid=X)

Edited by Matgen84

On 7/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, arsradu said:

Could you post a screenshot from intel power widget to see where is the high cpu usage?

Here it is. The CPU will directly go up to 3.7 and constantly staying up there. This is the Intel Power Gadget started when the OS is logged in.

Thanks. 

ApplePM IntelPowerGadget.png

4 hours ago, twsps said:

Here it is. The CPU will directly go up to 3.7 and constantly staying up there. This is the Intel Power Gadget started when the OS is logged in.

Thanks. 

Cool. Could you also please, upload a screenshot of the Activity Monitor? I'm just trying to see what exactly is keeping your CPU up so high. I kinda doubt it's the actual kext. I'm using the exact same one and I don't have this issue. Also, so far, looks like you're the only one with this issue.

Edited by arsradu

6 hours ago, arsradu said:

Cool. Could you also please, upload a screenshot of the Activity Monitor? I'm just trying to see what exactly is keeping your CPU up so high. I kinda doubt it's the actual kext. I'm using the exact same one and I don't have this issue. Also, so far, looks like you're the only one with this issue.

Here it is. But its actually the system that is using the CPU, so not sure if you'll get any results from this. I also attached a top command from my terminal. I saw something related to audio in the command section.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.33.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.36.43 AM.png

Guys, is there any particular cause for having sound with Line Out but not Internal Speakers?

Everything was fine until I removed CodecCommander from S/L/E. After the reboot, I had no sound (icon enabled, all fine in System Preferences), just...no sound in speakers. And that's not just with Mojave. Same with High Sierra. I tried with AppleALC 1.2.8v3 and Lilu 1.2.4, also tried with AppleALC 1.2.8v2 and Lilu 1.2.3. Same issue with both... I have sound...just not with Internal Speakers (which worked perfectly fine before).

Update: oook, so, looks like the Layout ID was the culprit here. I was using Layout ID 7, and apparently that enables Line Outs, but somehow disables Internal Speakers... Not sure if that's intended.

Anyway, I switched to Layout ID 2. Now I have Internal Speakers working, but no Line Out (muted just like Internal Speakers were before). I'm not sure my motherboard has Line Outs anyway. So I guess that's fixed.

Edited by arsradu

9 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Guys, is there any particular cause for having sound with Line Out but not Internal Speakers?

Everything was fine until I removed CodecCommander from S/L/E. After the reboot, I had no sound (icon enabled, all fine in System Preferences), just...no sound in speakers. And that's not just with Mojave. Same with High Sierra. I tried with AppleALC 1.2.8v3 and Lilu 1.2.4, also tried with AppleALC 1.2.8v2 and Lilu 1.2.3. Same issue with both... I have sound...just not with Internal Speakers (which worked perfectly fine before.

Sorry I can't help you. Where do you find AppleALC 1.2.8v3? Thanks

2 hours ago, Matgen84 said:

Sorry I can't help you. Where do you find AppleALC 1.2.8v3? Thanks

See my post here.

The point is...it didn't do that before. I don't understand how would CodecCommander change the behaviour of AppleALC in any way...

Update: I put back CodecCommander, now I have sound with Internal Speakers again... But...why?

Update2: The injected Layout ID was causing this. 

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, twsps said:

Here it is. But its actually the system that is using the CPU, so not sure if you'll get any results from this. I also attached a top command from my terminal. I saw something related to audio in the command section.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.33.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 6.36.43 AM.png

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, for what I can see, CPU load is minimal.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but, for what I can see, CPU load is minimal.
Yes, but the system is using 9% constantly, without using the correct inject id, the load is only 0.2%, and with this, it draws up to 3.7ghz
Thanks

Sent from my MHA-AL00 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, twsps said:

Yes, but the system is using 9% constantly, without using the correct inject id, the load is only 0.2%, and with this, it draws up to 3.7ghz
Thanks

I still don't see how AppleALC would cause that. Are you saying that when you add the correct Layout ID, the CPU load increases, as well? And without it is where? Could you upload a screenshot from Intel Power Gadget when without that Layout ID injected? 

I'm thinking you might have some processes running in background. Could you please, remove the serials from your SMBIOS and RT Variables section and upload your Clover folder for analysis?

Also, please, add your hardware information to your signature.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

I still don't see how AppleALC would cause that. I'm thinking you might have some processes running in background. Could you please, remove the serials from your SMBIOS and RT Variables section and upload your Clover folder for analysis?

Also, please, add your hardware information to your signature.

I did do a very clean install at the beginning. So before it's using iMac 14,2 with no serial number. But it's still the same problem.

Dell Inspiron 7370, i7-8550u, UHD620, ALC295

Dell Inspiron... Isn't that a laptop? Why are you using iMac14,2 for that? Why are you using iMac in the first place? Also, what does that have to do with AppleALC?

Have you tried a MacBookPro14,3 SMBIOS for example? Also, I'm still waiting for that Clover folder.

By the way, when you said "high CPU load", I was like: OMG, it's keeping the CPU in 99% load. An under 10% load is by no means a "high" CPU load. However, I have to say it is higher than my desktop CPU, at idle. That's why I told you to upload your Clover folder for further analysis.

• Like 1

Guys, do you have sound after sleep in Mojave?

I was using Codec Commander for that before. But there are two issues with it:

1. it interferes with AppleALC, in the sense that, with Layout ID 7 for example, I have no sound when Internal Speakers is selected. I do have sound with Line Outs... But it doesn't sound the same. And I'm still not sure why Internal Speakers doesn't work.

Somehow, Codec Commander fixed that.

2. even with Codec Commander I still don't have sound after sleep, with Internal Speakers.

Interesting fact:

With Layout ID 7, as I said, I did have sound, but only when Line Out was selected. Why is this interesting? Because I did have sound after sleep with that option.

But why no sound with Internal Speakers? And, when using Layout ID 2 (in order to have some sound with Internal Speakers), why no sound after sleep anymore?

Edited by arsradu

Dell Inspiron... Isn't that a laptop? Why are you using iMac14,2 for that? Why are you using iMac in the first place? Also, what does that have to do with AppleALC?
Have you tried a MacBookPro14,3 SMBIOS for example? Also, I'm still waiting for that Clover folder.
By the way, when you said "high CPU load", I was like: OMG, it's keeping the CPU in 99% load. An under 10% load is by no means a "high" CPU load. However, I have to say it is higher than my desktop CPU, at idle. That's why I told you to upload your Clover folder for further analysis.

I'm sorry that I mislead you.. I've now set to MacBook Pro 14,1 and iMac 14,2 is just at the beginning of the clean install. By high cpu load, I meant it goes up to 3.7GHz even it's only by 10% usage by system. And because of that 10%, my cpu temp stays at 90℃. I'll upload my clover folder when I got home.
Ps. Do you want me to remove serial number and leave only model of laptop MacBook Pro 14,1 and test again when I upload the clover folder?

4 hours ago, twsps said:

I'm sorry that I mislead you.. I've now set to MacBook Pro 14,1 and iMac 14,2 is just at the beginning of the clean install. By high cpu load, I meant it goes up to 3.7GHz even it's only by 10% usage by system. And because of that 10%, my cpu temp stays at 90℃. I'll upload my clover folder when I got home.
Ps. Do you want me to remove serial number and leave only model of laptop MacBook Pro 14,1 and test again when I upload the clover folder?

I'm thinking you might be missing some CPU settings in your Config. I was talking about Board Serial Number, Serial Number and SmUUID in SMBIOS. The rest can stay. Also, the MLB and ROM in Rt Variables.

So, battle plan goes like this:

1. Change your SMBIOS to a LAPTOP SMBIOS (MacBookPro14,3 was an example). You can try that. But I'm not sure it's ok to use an iMac (Desktop) SMBIOS when you have a laptop.

2. See if it makes any difference in terms of CPU load.

3. Remove the serials I mentioned above (if you set any)

4. Upload your Clover folder for analysis.

I still don't understand what AppleALC has to do with any of this. But let's see.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

@twsps @arsradu

Sorry for my intervention. Intel says that this processor can go up to 4GHZ. If it is permanently 3.7GHZ, it may be because of the management of the speed step. I think there is maybe a patch for that.

@twsps@arsradu

Sorry for my intervention. Intel says that this processor can go up to 4GHZ. If it is permanently 3.7GHZ, it may be because of the management of the speed step. I think there is maybe a patch for that.

I'm sure that is not the problem. I don't have any these kind of issue before using applealc. I have correct speedstep and power management for my CPU

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, twsps said:

I'm sure that is not the problem. I don't have any these kind of issue before using applealc. I have correct speedstep and power management for my CPU

Maybe. But you have to admit it's kinda weird that you're the only one reporting this issue. :P Anyway, the Clover folder should hopefully bring more light into this, whenever you can upload it. No rush. But, I'm also a bit confused as to how exactly one relates to the other. I mean, I'm using the same kext, and no such issues here. But, obviously, we're using different hardware, different audio codecs (in case that makes any difference) and so on so forth. So...could be a specific issue to your particular laptop. Oor...maybe that particular codec (assuming it really is something related to the AppleALC kext).

But as I said, let's see first a different SMBIOS (a laptop one). Let's see how that behaves. After that, let's see a Clover folder.

• Like 1

Maybe. But you have to admit it's kinda weird that you're the only one reporting this issue.  Anyway, the Clover folder should hopefully bring more light into this, whenever you can upload it. No rush. But, I'm also a bit confused as to how exactly one relates to the other. I mean, I'm using the same kext, and no such issues here. But, obviously, we're using different hardware, different audio codecs (in case that makes any difference) and so on so forth. So...could be a specific issue to your particular laptop. Oor...maybe that particular codec (assuming it really is something related to the AppleALC kext).

But as I said, let's see first a different SMBIOS (a laptop one). Let's see how that behaves. After that, let's see a Clover folder.
I'm still not home yet (that sucks…). I also use this applealc kext on my other hack and I love it! So I'm sure this kext doesn't have problems but only my codec
I'll report my clover folder soon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

I'm thinking you might be missing some CPU settings in your Config. I was talking about Board Serial Number, Serial Number and SmUUID in SMBIOS. The rest can stay. Also, the MLB and ROM in Rt Variables.

So, battle plan goes like this:

1. Change your SMBIOS to a LAPTOP SMBIOS (MacBookPro14,3 was an example). You can try that. But I'm not sure it's ok to use an iMac (Desktop) SMBIOS when you have a laptop.

2. See if it makes any difference in terms of CPU load.

3. Remove the serials I mentioned above (if you set any)

4. Upload your Clover folder for analysis.

I still don't understand what AppleALC has to do with any of this. But let's see.

Over here I tried to remove the things you mentioned above, however, when I remove those, it will reboot and not able to boot in the system. So I decide to just upload my clover folder here for analysis.

CLOVER.zip

1 minute ago, twsps said:

Over here I tried to remove the things you mentioned above, however, when I remove those, it will reboot and not able to boot in the system. So I decide to just upload my clover folder here for analysis.

CLOVER.zip

Oook, so a few issues here:

1. you're using patched SSDT/DSDT. Please, remove them and try to do all your fixes from Config.

2. no -lilubetaall boot argument in Boot (for Mojave).

3. DellSMBIOSPatch...in Kernel And Kext Patches. Do you need that? Anyway, not related to the AppleALC issue. Just wondering. Since you said that it doesn't boot if you remove those serials (ONLY THOSE) from SMBIOS....? That's...really weird. But I'm thinking maybe that DellSMBIOSPatch has something to do with it...

4. You don't have any AppleALC or Lilu kexts in Clover/kexts/Other.

There might be other things, too. But...I'm just gonna say this: having different kind of patches from different places is not a good idea. I would also suggest generating a new config, adding only the MINIMUM necessary to boot, NO custom SSDT/DSDT, and see if the issue still occurs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arsradu said:

Oook, so a few issues here:

1. you're using patched SSDT/DSDT. Please, remove them and try to do all your fixes from Config.

2. no -lilubetaall boot argument in Boot (for Mojave).

3. DellSMBIOSPatch...in Kernel And Kext Patches. Do you need that? Anyway, not related to the AppleALC issue. Just wondering. Since you said that it doesn't boot if you remove those serials (ONLY THOSE) from SMBIOS....? That's...really weird. But I'm thinking maybe that DellSMBIOSPatch has something to do with it...

4. You don't have any AppleALC or Lilu kexts in Clover/kexts/Other.

There might be other things, too. But...I'm just gonna say this: having different kind of patches from different places is not a good idea. I would also suggest generating a new config, adding only the MINIMUM necessary to boot, NO custom SSDT/DSDT, and see if the issue still occurs.

I must DSDT/SSDT for my ELAN I2C touchpad and touchscreen, also my AppleALC is in /L/E. For DellSMBIOSPatch, I need that for CPU power management and USBInjectAll patch by SSDT.

6 minutes ago, twsps said:

I must DSDT/SSDT for my ELAN I2C touchpad and touchscreen, also my AppleALC is in /L/E. For DellSMBIOSPatch, I need that for CPU power management and USBInjectAll patch by SSDT.

Okay, I removed all my DSDT and SSDT but still the same problem.

• Like 1