AppleALC — dynamic AppleHDA patching

vit9696
5,371 posts in this topic

This AppleHDA, along with these patches in Clover KextsToPatch. Patch 5 should be disabled for El Capitan support, Patch 4 for Sierra. 

Audio Inject = 1, AFGLowPowerState and ResetHDA Enabled.

Sorry for any inconvenience by posting the patches as jpeg. Thank you for looking into it!

edit: I don't if it is the best solution though, it might be able to be improved. This solution provides some low crackling noise, sometimes. Sound also sometimes disappears, but resumes couple of seconds later. This does not happen under Windows. Not sure why it happens.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

post-1847887-0-27462700-1489930829_thumb.png

This AppleHDA, along with these patches in Clover KextsToPatch. Patch 5 should be disabled for El Capitan support, Patch 4 for Sierra. 

Audio Inject = 1, AFGLowPowerState and ResetHDA Enabled.

Sorry for any inconvenience by posting the patches as jpeg. Thank you for looking into it!

edit: I don't if it is the best solution though, it might be able to be improved. This solution provides some low crackling noise, sometimes. Sound also sometimes disappears, but resumes couple of seconds later. This does not happen under Windows. Not sure why it happens.

Try it. Layout-id 11 AppleALC.kext.zip

Thank you joevt, for this detailed report.

The connection between "Headphone rear" and "Line out (L/R)" seems strange. 
    I know on a Mac Pro that inserting headphones into the front headpones jack disables the internal speaker and changes the name from "Internal Speakers" to "Headphones".
    But what is the expected behavior on a Hackintosh? I would prefer the ports to be independent, to allow the user to switch between them from the Sound preferences panel, without physically connecting or disconnecting anything.

As far as i know, it's not possible with this codec, since the Line-out and and rear Headphones are sharing the same DAC. Can probably be done with the front Headphone jack. 

Layout 0 and 4 are probably the same, but was not intended, layout 0 should be a minimal layout that should work without CodecCommander and almost all CA0132 codecs. I've changed it in the new sample.

Your results are almost the same as mine, it seems that some values remain unchanged after a reboot, and others are reset, which partially distorts the results. 

With the tests i made yesterday i could not resolve the issue with the auto switch between C/Sub and front Headphone. I'm not sure if the audio panel i've tested is for AC'97 or HDA.post-448675-0-02003700-1489932790_thumb.jpg

Regarding Linux: i will take a look into the files you've uploaded. As far as i know, the codec does not work properly under Linux. The used driver was programmed for the Chromebook Pixel, which has no 5.1 speakers.

If i have not answered everything, please ask again.

Here a new sampleAppleALC_1.1.1.zip, a function test is enough.

layout-id  0: 2.0 default 

1: 2.0 Alienware 15 R2 

2: 2.0 + front HP 

3: 2.0 + rear line-out

4: 5.1 with C/Sub

5: 2.0 front + rear HP, simultaneously + front Mic

6: 5.1 with front HP

And here, the resources for vandroiyCA0132_resources.zip, vit9696 said that it's ok to have multiple layouts.

• Like 1

Try it. Layout-id 11 attachicon.gifAppleALC.kext.zip

Installed this with Lilu and vanilla AppleHDA to L/E. AFGLowPower, ResetHDA set to Disabled. Layout 11. Disabled patches for other AppleHDA. 

Not working. Cannot set volume levels. Input/Output not showing in IOReg. 

Thanks anyway. I did however remove the EAPDFix since I think it caused some weird issue at boot sometimes, where I would get stuck at almost full bar and then have to reboot, which would boot successfully. I installed CodecCommander again. Do I need to have EAPDFix to try it?

• Like 1

Installed this with Lilu and vanilla AppleHDA to L/E. AFGLowPower, ResetHDA set to Disabled. Layout 11. Disabled patches for other AppleHDA.

Thanks anyway!

Ask @Mirone to make resources for this codec!!! It would be best decision 

• Like 2

Thanks anyway. I did however remove the EAPDFix since I think it caused some weird issue at boot sometimes, where I would get stuck at almost full bar and then have to reboot, which would boot successfully. I installed CodecCommander again. Do I need to have EAPDFix to try it?

Send me your files:

-DSDT

-config.plist

-Codec_dump

-IOREG

• Like 3

@Wern, merged it myself for now. Thanks.

I hope i didn't do anything wrong, and it works.

Do you know why AppleALC does not work if no ID is set?, which generally means layout-id 0. It works with a fully patched kext, the reason is that we do not need any DSDT edits when the device name is already "HDEF", useful for less experienced users, or if they don't use a custom DSDT.

I do. AppleALC itself matches layout-id in ioreg to feed the correct layout/platform, so it will fail if the entry is missing.

Even if the idea is not too bad, 0 is not a used layout generally, and allowing such a fallback just in order to be user friendly is out of my interest. There are few cases one would need 0, and it is easy enough to select a different one.

• Like 1

Send me your files:

-DSDT

-config.plist

-Codec_dump

-IOREG

DSDT, config and IOREG attached. I do not have Linux, is there any other way through Windows or OSX that I can provide you the codec dump you need? I will get Linux if I have to.

This IOReg is when using the AppleHDA provided by Vandroiy, with Lilu and AppleALC. So there is no working sound. If you want, I can provide another IOREG using the patched AppleHDA that I have that partially works, but provides glitchy sound. I could also try another AppleHDA I saw in your thread, that you made for a user called striimer: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293863-applehda-patch-requests/page-29?do=findComment&comment=2350170

We have the same codec but different subsystem IDs. I do not believe we have anything more than that in common though.

Thanks for looking over it!

For Mirone.zip

• Like 1

Thank you joevt, for this detailed report.

As far as i know, it's not possible with this codec, since the Line-out and and rear Headphones are sharing the same DAC. Can probably be done with the front Headphone jack.

See my Windows 10 testing below. It would be nice if the Headphone and Line Out options were separate even if the DAC is the same. Currently, the headphone jack stops output from Line Out. It would be preferable if the output did not stop, especially if Line Out is selected as the output device. Something weird could happen if both Line Out and Headphone were part of an aggregate device, but if so, then the solution to that is to not make such an aggregate device.

Your results are almost the same as mine

If there's any specific difference you can note, then I can retest to confirm, unless it's because we have different ports.

it seems that some values remain unchanged after a reboot, and others are reset, which partially distorts the results.

I don't know about that. I did run into a situation while testing 2nd AppleALC_1.1.1.zip, where my computer somehow got into a state where none of the input devices of the codec would work, not even in Windows, even after a restart. The solution was a cold boot (power off first) into Windows to test the input devices again, then back to macOS to test the sound inputs.

With the tests i made yesterday i could not resolve the issue with the auto switch between C/Sub and front Headphone. I'm not sure if the audio panel i've tested is for AC'97 or HDA.

None of my tests found an issue with C/Sub (when the layout supported it), so I probably can't help with that. Is this a previously reported issue?

Regarding Linux: i will take a look into the files you've uploaded. As far as i know, the codec does not work properly under Linux. The used driver was programmed for the Chromebook Pixel, which has no 5.1 speakers.

asoundcodec0.txt is the standard codec_dump that the AppleHDA patching guide asks for. And the png is the graphed version.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295001-guide-to-patch-applehda-for-your-codec/

Does the fact that a codec doesn't work in Linux affect the nodes reported by the HDA? I've also attached a getdump from VoodooHDA which reports similar information. I haven't compared it with the codec_dump from Linux.

Layout 0 and 4 are probably the same, but was not intended, layout 0 should be a minimal layout that should work without CodecCommander and almost all CA0132 codecs. I've changed it in the new sample.

Here a new sampleattachicon.gifAppleALC_1.1.1.zip, a function test is enough.

layout-id  0: 2.0 default 

1: 2.0 Alienware 15 R2 

2: 2.0 + front HP 

3: 2.0 + rear line-out

6: 5.1 with front HP

I've retested the modified layout 0, layout 4 (unmodified?), and layout 5 (renamed, also modified?) using this new 2nd AppleALC_1.1.1.zip. Following are the results.

AppleALC_1.1.1.zip v2:

0: 2.0 default
    Shows two outputs and one input.
        1 "Headphones" "Headphone port" changes name to "Line Out" "Audio line-out port" when "Line out (L/R)" connected
        2 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
        3 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in"

Headphone rear (with detect)    :     no connection
    Line out (L/R), Green           :   1 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
    Rear (L/R),     Black           :     no connection
    Center/Sub,     orange          :     no connection
    SPDIF out                       :   2 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
    Microphone rear (with detect)   :   3 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in"
    Headphone front (with detect)   :     no connection
    Microphone front (no detect)    :     no connection

Shows four outputs and two inputs.
        1 "Headphones" "Headphone port" changes name to "Line Out" "Audio line-out port" when "Line out (L/R)" connected
        2 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
        3 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
        4 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
        5 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in" has "Use ambient noise reduction"

Headphone rear (with detect)    :   1 "Headphones" "Headphone port" stops output of "Line out (L/R)" when connected
    Rear (L/R),     Black           :   3 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
    Center/Sub,     orange          :   2 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
    SPDIF out                       :   4 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
    Microphone rear (with detect)   :   5 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in" has "Use ambient noise reduction"
    Headphone front (with detect)   :     no connection
    Microphone front (no detect)    :     no connection

Shows three outputs and one input.
        1 "Line Out" "Audio line-out port"
        2 "Headphones" "Headphone port"
        3 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
        4 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in" has "Use ambient noise reduction"

Headphone rear (with detect)    :   2 "Headphones" "Headphone port" stops output of "Line out (L/R)" when connected
    Rear (L/R),     Black           :     no connection
    Center/Sub,     orange          :     no connection
    SPDIF out                       :   3 "Digital Out" "Optical digital-out port"
    Microphone rear (with detect)   :     no connection
    Headphone front (with detect)   :   2 "Headphones" "Headphone port" does not stop output of "Line out (L/R)" when connected
    Microphone front (no detect)    :   4 "Internal Microphone" "Built-in" has "Use ambient noise reduction"
I like that layout 4 has 5.1 working. I like that layout 5 has front headphone and microphone, where the headphone does not affect line out. It would be nice to combine those features of layout 4 and 5.

Here's my Windows 10 testing:

Windows 10 testing:
    Can detect when "Headphone rear" or "Headphone front" is connected. Output can be directed in software to Headphones or Speakers but not both.
    "Headphone rear" and "Headphone front" get the same audio signal.

"Line out (L/R)" has an option "Full-Range Speakers".
    "Surround Speakers" ("Center" and "Rear (L/R)") has an option for "Full-Range Speakers".

"Multipurpose input device" has three settings
        "Front Microphone"
        "Rear Microphone"
        "Rear Line-In"

Recording devices has 2 volume controls:
        "What U Hear"
        "Microphone" or "Line-In" depending on "Multipurpose input device" setting. Appears only when "Microphone rear" is connected or when Input Device setting is set to "Front Microphone" since "Front Microphone" has no detect.
From the Windows 10 testing, it seems like it should be possible to have an option for the following:

Headphone     Rear
Line Out      Rear  Front L/R
Line Out      Rear  Rear L/R
Line Out      Rear  C/Sub
Digital Out   Rear  SPDIF optical
Microphone    Rear (mic level signal)
Line In       Rear (same as Microphone but line level signal?)
Headphone     Front
Microphone    Front
What U Hear   Internal (so you can record output without third party software or extra setup)

Here's some VoodooHDA testing:

VoodooHDA 2.8.9 testing:

Shows seven outputs and two inputs.
    1 "Digital-out" "" - connects to DisplayPort monitor
    2 "Digital-out" ""
    3 "Digital-out" ""
    4 "Digital-out" ""
    5 "Line-out (Green Rear)" "Audio line-out port" 
    6 "SPDIF-out (Grey Rear)" ""
    7 "Headphones (Green Front)" "Headphone port"
    1 "Line-in (Clack Rear)" "Audio line-in port"
    2 "Microphone (Pink Rear)" "Microphone port"

Headphone rear (with detect)    :   
    Line out (L/R), Green           :   5 "Line-out (Green Rear)" "Audio line-out port" 
    Rear (L/R),     Black           :   
    Center/Sub,     orange          :   
    SPDIF out                       :   6 "SPDIF-out (Grey Rear)" ""
    Microphone rear (with detect)   :   
    Headphone front (with detect)   :   
    Microphone front (no detect)    :   

See getdump.txt for more information from VoodooHDA.
I like that VoodooHDA gives descriptive names for the outputs. I think VoodooHDA has it's own code to do that based on Pin Configs? Can AppleHDA do the same? I know that AppleHDA uses the display name for HDMI and DisplayPort digital output devices, which makes AppleHDA better than VoodooHDA for those devices.

getdump.txt

• Like 1

Thanks again

It would be nice if the Headphone and Line Out options were separate even if the DAC is the same. 

I will separate them and see what happens.

If there's any specific difference you can note, then I can retest to confirm, unless it's because we have different ports.

The ports are the same

I did run into a situation while testing 2nd AppleALC_1.1.1.zip, where my computer somehow got into a state where none of the input devices of the codec would work, not even in Windows, even after a restart. The solution was a cold boot (power off first) into Windows to test the input devices again, then back to macOS to test the sound inputs.

The reason could be Layout 1, which resets the codec, don't use it. You must wait a few seconds after the computer is turned off, then is should work again.

None of my tests found an issue with C/Sub (when the layout supported it), so I probably can't help with that. Is this a previously reported issue?

C/Sub and the front Headphones jack are sharing the same node, therefore i've expected some issues because of the audio panel.

asoundcodec0.txt is the standard codec_dump that the AppleHDA patching guide asks for. And the png is the graphed version.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295001-guide-to-patch-applehda-for-your-codec/
Does the fact that a codec doesn't work in Linux affect the nodes reported by the HDA? 

The CA0132 Linux patch affects the codec dump, unload it, and load the generic driver and you will see the difference. It's a mess, look at the code graph: 3 times front jacks, Mobile-In Mic etc.

I've retested the modified layout 0, layout 4 (unmodified?), and layout 5 (renamed, also modified?) 

i've changed only Layout 0 and 5, 5 has now front instead rear Mic.

I like that layout 4 has 5.1 working. I like that layout 5 has front headphone and microphone, where the headphone does not affect line out. It would be nice to combine those features of layout 4 and 5.

Since i now have an audio panel, i will still make some tests.

Here's my Windows 10 testing:

Windows 10 testing:

"Front Microphone" has no detect.

I have been waiting for this confirmation, which confirms that my audio panel is ok.

I like that VoodooHDA gives descriptive names for the outputs. I think VoodooHDA has it's own code to do that based on Pin Configs? Can AppleHDA do the same? I know that AppleHDA uses the display name for HDMI and DisplayPort digital output devices, which makes AppleHDA better than VoodooHDA for those devices.

VoodooHDA is decoding the pinconfig, and shows you the right device names.

The AppleHDA.kext simply recognises Headphones, no front, no rear, no jack colours.

I will separate them and see what happens.

C/Sub and the front Headphones jack are sharing the same node, therefore i've expected some issues because of the audio panel.

With my Windows 10 testing, I noted that the Sound Blaster software (Sound Blaster Recon3Di Control Panel version 2.17.13) would not allow Headphones (rear or front) and 2.0 or 5.1 speakers at the same time. So maybe this is part of that. In this case, it is preferable to have front headphone and C/Sub as separate (as suggested for rear headphone and line out), since there is no other way to select the different outputs in Apple's simple sound preferences panel.

In my macOS and Windows testing, there was no audio from Front Headphone when outputting to C/Sub so I don't see that they are connected. There may be some other switch involved.

In Windows 10, there is no output to either headphone jack while using the 2.0 or 5.1 mode.

The CA0132 Linux patch affects the codec dump, unload it, and load the generic driver and you will see the difference. It's a mess, look at the code graph: 3 times front jacks, Mobile-In Mic etc.

How do I do that in Ubuntu (I'm using 16.04 LTS)? I would like to compare my output with yours, and that produced by the CA0132 Linux patch. So the Linux patch is meant to clean up the mess? I'll use alsa-info.sh before and after to compare.

VoodooHDA is decoding the pinconfig, and shows you the right device names.

The AppleHDA.kext simply recognises Headphones, no front, no rear, no jack colours.

Maybe there's a way for AppleALC to patch AppleHDA using Lilu to add a renaming feature. Well, I guess anything is possible with enough code. You could then create many output devices, one for each set of nodes, give each one a different name, and test them all to see what they do.

it is preferable to have front headphone and C/Sub as separate

Until now unfortunately not possible. As far as I understand you, you want to use 5.1 and the front Headphone alternately?. I think this is the most common desired mode.

In my macOS and Windows testing, there was no audio from Front Headphone when outputting to C/Sub so I don't see that they are connected. There may be some other switch involved.

C/Sub and the front Headphones jack use the same Pin Complex (0x10), and is controlled by the codec port mapping, what means C/Sub or front Headphones.

This codec is very tricky, and I don't quite understand how it works.

How do I do that in Ubuntu (I'm using 16.04 LTS)? I would like to compare my output with yours, and that produced by the CA0132 Linux patch. So the Linux patch is meant to clean up the mess? I'll use alsa-info.sh before and after to compare.

I don't remember right, you must add something like "snd-hda-intel" to the /etc/modules file. Here is my dump with the generic driver.

Maybe there's a way for AppleALC to patch AppleHDA using Lilu to add a renaming feature. Well, I guess anything is possible with enough code. You could then create many output devices, one for each set of nodes, give each one a different name, and test them all to see what they do.

It is possible but not sure if we can patch it on the fly.

post-448675-0-91655600-1490129253_thumb.pngpost-448675-0-08720900-1490129278_thumb.png

Hi Wern Apfel. I tested your applealc and sound is distorted when volume is maxed out via Sierra. If I decrease volume from 100% to...60-70% audio is ok. Exactly the same problem I had before months (el capitan) with your applehda - 100% volume - distorted audio. 60-70% volume - audio is ok.

Start the Audio MIDI Setup app and see how much dB it shows you at max volume, and when it distorts.

post-448675-0-15680100-1490129817_thumb.png

Until now unfortunately not possible. As far as I understand you, you want to use 5.1 and the front Headphone alternately?. I think this is the most common desired mode.

C/Sub and the front Headphones jack use the same Pin Complex (0x10), and is controlled by the codec port mapping, what means C/Sub or front Headphones.

I don't remember right, you must add something like "snd-hda-intel" to the /etc/modules file. Here is my dump with the generic driver.attachicon.gifcodec#2_generic.txt.zip

attachicon.gifsound output.pngattachicon.gifsound input.png

Start the Audio MIDI Setup app and see how much dB it shows you at max volume, and when it distorts.

attachicon.gifAudio MIDI Setup.png

Hey Wern Apfel, I see in the Input "External Microphone" could you tell me what modifications are necessary to get this?most of the times we see "Internal Microphone" or "Line in" in the majority of cases, well I know this is purely cosmetic but it makes things more real.

EDIT: It seems to Me that you used AppleLALC to add these changes and were not made directly in AppleHDA is not? 

I'm sorry but I think I lost something here, today really has not been a good day. :(

EDIT2: Don't worry I already know how to do it in AppleHDA....

post-702532-0-30803900-1490149152_thumb.png

I have used the AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext to get my Sound working with my Realtek ACL298 with Layout ID 13 on my Dell XPS 9550. The Sound is working without problems but my internal Microphone doesn't work with that and also with Layout 3 it doesn't respond. In the Audio it is listed as internal Microphone. Can you tell me what do you need from that you can check it otherwise maybe Mirone can patch an AppleHDA for me.

Thanks.

I was thinking that just selecting the output device would be enough to switch between 5.1 and Headphones. Since they use the same pin complexes, you would tell the user to not attempt to output audio to both at the same time.

If that's not possible, it seems to me we need a feature to dynamically switch layouts... I guess that's what the Sound Blaster control panel does when you switch between Speakers and Headphones.

I don't remember right, you must add something like "snd-hda-intel" to the /etc/modules file.

I'll try that later.

Here is my dump with the generic driver.attachicon.gifcodec#2_generic.txt.zip

I don't have permission to view the attachment?

Maybe it's not a feature of Lilu yet? My idea would be a method in AppleALC, and Lilu would patch AppleHDA to call the method, maybe using some assembly for any required context switching to get globals, etc.

I would try a sound editing program, generate a sine wave, output it to another computer, view the waveform and see when the wave gets distorted. I remember doing stuff like that on old Macs (Power Mac). Guess I should try to find a modern sound editing program.

DSDT, config and IOREG attached. I do not have Linux, is there any other way through Windows or OSX that I can provide you the codec dump you need? I will get Linux if I have to.

This IOReg is when using the AppleHDA provided by Vandroiy, with Lilu and AppleALC. So there is no working sound. If you want, I can provide another IOREG using the patched AppleHDA that I have that partially works, but provides glitchy sound. I could also try another AppleHDA I saw in your thread, that you made for a user called striimer: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293863-applehda-patch-requests/page-29?do=findComment&comment=2350170

We have the same codec but different subsystem IDs. I do not believe we have anything more than that in common though.

Thanks for looking over it!

Try these files: Files.zip

there are 2 versions of AppleHDA, if one of them work well for you to get the files and build a AppleALC for you. 

Also install CodeCommander that is attached as well as DSDT, and Config.plist.

• Like 2

I have used the AppleALC.kext and Lilu.kext to get my Sound working with my Realtek ACL298 with Layout ID 13 on my Dell XPS 9550. The Sound is working without problems but my internal Microphone doesn't work with that and also with Layout 3 it doesn't respond. In the Audio it is listed as internal Microphone. Can you tell me what do you need from that you can check it otherwise maybe Mirone can patch an AppleHDA for me.

Thanks.

Contact InsanelyDeepak for help on this one, or you could give me your codec dump so I can start working it with a fresh start

attachicon.gifAudio MIDI Setup.png

Screen_Shot_2017_03_22_at_9_59_10_AM.png

Volume 100% via Sierra. Audio is very distorted. If I decrease volume in Sierra from 100% to 50-70% distortion disappear, but...sound is not good I think. With voodoohda is better (no volume control). I'm not familiar with these mods, but definitely sound is not as I expect. I tried this method before almost year (el capitan) and result was the same.

Try these files: attachicon.gifFiles.zip

there are 2 versions of AppleHDA, if one of them work well for you to get the files and build a AppleALC for you. 

Also install CodeCommander that is attached as well as DSDT, and Config.plist.

This is my original .plist without the disabled patches for another AppleHDA from what I can see? I'll delete them from my own. The HDAS->HDEF patch is gone from config.plist as well. Makes sense, since the patch in the readme would solve that anyway? I also see Audio Layout set to Nothing.

Can I apply the DSDT patch in the readme for corresponding AppleHDA to my own DSDT and not use the one you sent? If I should use the one you sent, should I still apply the patch to it? I know how to apply patches correctly.

edit: I made a backup of my original DSDT and used yours. Too eager to wait for your answer   ^_^ I did not apply the MaciASL patch in the Readme to it, figured you had already prepped it.

Using AppleHDA v1, the sound works, but it is a little distorted still. Sometimes sound disappears and comes back. It is the same result as the former patched AppleHDA I used with patches in KextsToPatch (now these patches are gone though), before I came here. Sound works after sleep with the CodecCommander you sent. The result is the same with both internal speakers and headphones.

Using AppleHDA v2, the result is about the same. I am listening to the same track if that should make any difference.. I still get the same kind of glitches. Sound disappears sometimes and then comes back. Sound has a slight distorition to it, but is almost good. I think v1 may have had a little bit less problems, but this can be coincidence. Sound works after sleep with the CodecCommander you sent. The result is the same with both internal speakers and headphones.

:(  Can I do anything else to help you?