[GUIDE] Installing El Capitan on HP Pavilion TS 14 Notebook PC - n020se

n2phoenix

30 posts in this topic

http://imgur.com/CTorsta

Credits go to redditors on the Hackintosh subreddit themacmeister, HackinDoge and badchromosome

Essential kexts from Rehabman's guide

And obviously Apple for making this amazing system in the first place :)

Specs:

• Processor: Intel Core i7 4500U (Haswell)
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics Family + Radeon HD 8670M
  • RAM: 8 GB (two chips, 4 GB each - originally came with 4 GB, I added a chip  :D)

• WiFi: Broadcom BCM94322HM8L/Dell Wireless-N 1510 Mini Card ( Mini PCIe, half-size) (they're both the same card under two names)

• SMBIOS: MacBook Pro 11,1 - Retina, 13 inch Late 2013 (laptop's actually 14 inches though  :D)

• Hard Disk partitions:

• Microsoft Reserved (128 MB)

• Windows 10 Pro (350 GB)

• OS X El Capitan (127 GB)

• OS X Recovery Partition (got deleted later, no intention of getting it back)

• 1 GB HFS+ (purpose explained later)

• EFI System partition (205 MB)

• Windows OEM Recovery (21 GB)

Hey everyone... so I managed to get my first Hackintosh build running without having to wipe everything completely! This could be useful for those of you who are trying to:

• Get OS X El Capitan on HP laptops.
  • Don't want to ruin your existing Windows installations.
  • Fix issues with Intel graphics cards.
  • Don't want to dilute OS X with distro installations.

I used Apple's createinstallmedia method for El Capitan and made it on an internal 24 GB drive in my laptop (this was installed alongside my 500 GB drive apparently for use as a cache disk, but it never worked so I thought I'd make use of it instead of buying another USB) using a VMware Mac (you can download the image on the TechReviews Youtube channel, the link is in a video description). After making my installer drive, I installed Clover from their SourceForge site and added:

• HFSPlus.efi to drivers64UEFI folder
  • FakeSMC.kext to the "Other" kexts folder

To the 10.10, 10.11, and Other kexts folders I added:

• Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller (this was working with the installer, but didn't work in the system. Still looking for a fix.)
  • HPRAIDInjector.kext (If you have a hard drive attached as SATA RAID, this may be necessary)
  • RealtekRTL8100.kext for Ethernet (although I did notice WiFi was working out of the box)
  • LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

In Clover Configurator, I added these: (specific credits to themacmeister and R3habman)

• ig-platform-id = 0xa260006 (specific to Intel HD 4400)
  • Injected IntelGFX device-id = config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x04128086
  • FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext to the 10.10/10.11/Other kext folders

I was using cpus=1 to boot before I remembered to turn on KernelPM in Clover. That way, you use both CPU cores.

Now, to prepare the drive for OS X. I shrunk my Windows partition by 1 GB, then 120 GB. In case you didn't notice above, right after my El Capitan drive, I have the recovery partition, then 1 GB HFS+, and THEN my EFI partition. The reason for this is that, when I booted into the installer and tried to install El Capitan, it failed showing a message "The installation failed because (something, I forgot what it was) would make your Windows installation unbootable". I learned from this that your OS X partition should NEVER be anywhere near your EFI boot partition, maybe because the installer shrinks the El Capitan partition to make the recovery partition, which probably might damage the nearby EFI System partition. So I shrunk the El Capitan by 1 GB again, just to make it as a barrier between the El Capitan partition and the EFI partition, and then the installer worked!

For some of you who are having MediaKit errors when trying to format your El Capitan partition from exFAT or FAT32 or NTFS to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), do it in Windows. First format your partition as NTFS, then download Paragon NTFS-HFS Converter. This software is literally a goddamn blessing - it does exactly what it says, and converts your NTFS-formatted partition to HFS+ (or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), same thing) all on Windows itself without any stupid MediaKit errors :-)

After installation, I used the same internal drive's Clover to boot into OS X, which worked like a charm. The system itself is very fast and responsive. My WiFi, PS/2 mouse and keyboard and external USB mouse work Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller and I'm still working on these issues:

Cheers!  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hay n2phoenix,

I have now got an HP Pavilion 15-p011tx, 4510u Core i7 + Intel HD 4400 + NVIDIA GeForce 840m + 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD.

I tried your setup using UniBeast6 created USB, and seemed to get full graphics acceleration in installer (although System Information reports Display 4MB)...

I have had many failures using createinstallmedia (including no /S/L/E folder etc).

Using Yosemite installer USB, get NO QE/CI AT ALL :-(

Could you please provide me a link to your EFI partition (compressed - sendspace/mega)?!

Many thanks...

Hay n2phoenix,

I have now got an HP Pavilion 15-p011tx, 4510u Core i7 + Intel HD 4400 + NVIDIA GeForce 840m + 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD.

I tried your setup using UniBeast6 created USB, and seemed to get full graphics acceleration in installer (although System Information reports Display 4MB)...

I have had many failures using createinstallmedia (including no /S/L/E folder etc).

Using Yosemite installer USB, get NO QE/CI AT ALL :-(

Could you please provide me a link to your EFI partition (compressed - sendspace/mega)?!

Many thanks...

Hey themacmeister! Sorry I haven't been able to respond for ages... I've had exams and they're over now  :lol:

My EFI partition's up here: https://mega.nz/#F!2EtHDbbA!vpevBh-sHCY_MYxyyEfFVg

Also I've made many modifications since this post, such as removing my AddPNLF and NewWay patches, using the Clover-generated DSDT (same thing as removing my DSDT from the ACPI/patched folder) and adding only the following kexts: both PCIID mentioned above, bpedman's fork of VoodooPS2Controller (it's the only thing that works) FakeSMC.kext, HPRAIDInjector.kext and LegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext.

I don't think Yosemite may work for QE/CI not just because of your low video graphics memory but also because Beam Synchronization is always on and it may not be letting QE/CI enabled (complete guess, I have no idea if this is true) Try downloading beamoff and see if that works. If it doesn't, it might be just the low video graphics memory then. But I think that's odd because straight out of my install, on reaching the El Capitan login screen, the blurred background scenery appears, which never worked when I used Vmware, where QE/CI is definitely disabled.

Good luck!  :thumbsup_anim:

• 6 months later...

hello, i'm having the same Pavilion TS 14 n020se as you, and did same things as you said: everything is working perfectly, so thank you.

You are not speaking about touch screen, and after a while, i do have it works natively pretty well with the FakePCIID XHICMux.kext found with Vietnam tools!

(Just for fun, i did remaping fn keys with Karabiner, because i don't know how to do so with Rehabman tools.)

Did you trie to install on Sierra, because i tried, and it's always halt immediatly  after Clover screen (i have install Sierra on a desktop PC without any problems)?

anyway, thank you for all!

hello, i'm having the same Pavilion TS 14 n020se as you, and did same things as you said: everything is working perfectly, so thank you.

You are not speaking about touch screen, and after a while, i do have it works natively pretty well with the FakePCIID XHICMux.kext found with Vietnam tools!

(Just for fun, i did remaping fn keys with Karabiner, because i don't know how to do so with Rehabman tools.)

Did you trie to install on Sierra, because i tried, and it's always halt immediatly  after Clover screen (i have install Sierra on a desktop PC without any problems)?

anyway, thank you for all!

Awesome! Great to hear that the guide worked for you! And thank you so much for telling me about the touch screen capability! I'll try it out now and post the results! I believe the kext you are talking about is XHCIMux.kext, not XHIC.

As for keyboard remapping, Karabiner works in El Capitan, but not in Sierra. Once you upgrade to Sierra, I suggest using ShadowLab's Spark software to remap your keyboard, because Karabiner does not support Sierra at the moment.

Upgrading to Sierra is not hard at all - I only found it difficult because I forgot to copy over the kexts from 10.11 to 10.12 in the Clover/Kexts folder. Otherwise, the laptop fully supports Sierra the same way that El Capitan does.

Good luck and congratulations on your new Hackintosh!

sorry, you'right about the kext name! i think i'm in trouble with Sierra because i tried to boot over a  hard drive Carbon Copy of my desktop computer and suppose some kext are in trouble. I will trie a new install on fresh hard drive.

thank you for shadow lab's, i was aware that Karabiner was not working on Sierra.

Thank's again

sorry, you'right about the kext name! i think i'm in trouble with Sierra because i tried to boot over a  hard drive Carbon Copy of my desktop computer and suppose some kext are in trouble. I will trie a new install on fresh hard drive.

thank you for shadow lab's, i was aware that Karabiner was not working on Sierra.

Thank's again

Could you explain how you got the touchscreen to work? I got the kext but it's not working.

I tried like that:

Hackintosh Vietnam tools 1.9.6

-- Kexts-- USB 3.0---XHCIMux for Intel 7 + chipset (- do not use with GenericUSBXHCI)

nothing else.

I tried this, because i tried Touche-base first, but it tells me that there was no device, and i saw that third part of USB 3.0 was not installed.(for exemple, the USB port on the right, near DVD was not working).

So, i tried to install XHCIMux for Intel 7 to make Touch-base working, and, surprise! Touch screen is now working, without Touch-base, (i uninstall it) , and Touch screen is working as well as with Windows 10.

Hope it will work for you too....

NB: real name of kext is FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, my Sierra has stopped working so I'm going back to El Capitan to try fixing the touchscreen and scrolling on touchpad.

Once I reinstall, I'll try the kexts and see what works.

Touchpad is properly working again with the latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext from Rehabman, but still no scrolling.

I used your method to get touchscreen and it's working! Thank you so much!

And turns out even the webcam (HP TrueVision HD) has also started working! You've given me two things now - thank you so much once again!!!!

Fine!

For me, everything seems to work with Sierra : I just did an Update for my El Capitan working hard disk to Sierra & now, my Wifi is working (my build in Wifi is not working & never will, it's not the same as yours, so I have to use USB wifi. May be I will buy the build in wifi card you have???).

I'have to force triming for SSD, but now all is OK.... except microphone, so that's a little annoying for Siri !!!

Is it the same thing for you, and if not, what did you do to enable the build in microphone?

PS: Karabiner is preleased for Sierra & fn keys remapping works well.

have a good day.

PS: Last issue is SD Card Reader, i'm looking for this ...

Did you try VoodooSDHC? Hopefully that should work as the card reader is Realtek like in most laptops...

Fine!

For me, everything seems to work with Sierra : I just did an Update for my El Capitan working hard disk to Sierra & now, my Wifi is working (my build in Wifi is not working & never will, it's not the same as yours, so I have to use USB wifi. May be I will buy the build in wifi card you have???).

I'have to force triming for SSD, but now all is OK.... except microphone, so that's a little annoying for Siri !!!

Is it the same thing for you, and if not, what did you do to enable the build in microphone?

PS: Karabiner is preleased for Sierra & fn keys remapping works well.

have a good day.

I would suggest getting the Broadcom BCM94352HMB because the WiFi card I have doesn't have Bluetooth. Don't make the same mistake as me unless you don't want Bluetooth!

Microphone works just fine for me with VoodooHDA. Get the installer from SourceForge and try it out!

I'm using Spark to remap keys now, because Karabiner was not available when I first installed Sierra. It's better than Karabiner because you can make more custom key modifications, so you could try this out as well.

You have a good day too!

Hello

yes, i saw this topic about getting generic card reader a few days ago, but i don't think it will work for us, because there is no USB SD Card Reader device listed in Device Utility &no vendir or ID, so i suppose there is something wrong about 2part USB port.

I'm still looking about a solution.

have a nice day

Hello, is touchpad working for you?

I did install Sierra & it's working perfectly with your kext + FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext & genericUSB.kext

Good night

I have hp 4-1115dx that is not a hackintosh (el capitan).   last week I was playing around with sierra and did have the touchscreen working with Pandora's Box, however this seems to throw a lot of stuff at the system instead of streamlining the installation, so I have gone back to a piece together as I need setup on el capitan.

Just for clarification on your post...

When I opened up the Vietnam Tools dmg, I noticed when clicking the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, it says not to use with the GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

What "genericUSB.kext" are you referring to?  And would you mind listing out the exact 3 kexts you installed for your touch screen to work?

I would love to have touch screen working again!!!..

I have hp 4-1115dx that is not a hackintosh (el capitan).   last week I was playing around with sierra and did have the touchscreen working with Pandora's Box, however this seems to throw a lot of stuff at the system instead of streamlining the installation, so I have gone back to a piece together as I need setup on el capitan.

Just for clarification on your post...

When I opened up the Vietnam Tools dmg, I noticed when clicking the FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext, it says not to use with the GenericUSBXHCI.kext.

What "genericUSB.kext" are you referring to?  And would you mind listing out the exact 3 kexts you installed for your touch screen to work?

I would love to have touch screen working again!!!..

The kexts you'll need for touchscreen are:

FakePCIID.kext

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

GenericUSBXHCI.kext (yes you definitely need this for it to work)

Don't use Kext Wizard to install them, as it repairs permissions which is no longer required in Sierra (I think) and mainly because it messes up the system on boot. Install them manually by first copying them to /S/L/E and then issuing these commands:

sudo chmod -R 755 kextname.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel kextname.kext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches

Then reboot, fingers crossed!

no dice... did it manually as you explained.

Gained nothing and lost my USB 3.0 bus.   (About Mac -> System Report -> USB), this is now showing my USB devices connecting via USB 2.0 Bus, where as before they were all connecting to USB 3.0 Bus.

This maybe a limitation in El Capitan and only works in Sierra.

If I am incorrect in this assumption, please let me know and I can continue troubleshooting.

That actually means that the kext installation worked as it should. It's all going through the USB 2.0 Bus for me in Sierra as well.

Perhaps your touchscreen isn't going through a USB connection? You can find out using Windows's Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > (look for touch device related option and double click) > Details > Hardware IDs. If the beginning of the string says something other than USB, that may be the issue.

If it is, you may have a port limit (prevents OS X from recognizing all USB ports on the system) which is a prevalent problem on El Capitan and above. You can probably try this to figure out which USB port the touchscreen is using so you can find a DSDT patch/port injector for that port.  

However, I think the "USB 2.0" spec is just a naming difference - you should still have the speed of USB 3.0 through your respective ports as I do. Try transferring large files to a hard drive over a USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 port to check the difference.