Updated Apple certificate means old OS X installers don’t work anymore

pico joe

13 posts in this topic

On February 14, something called the Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Intermediate Certificate expired. This sort of thing is typically routine; it was renewed and developers were advised to update their certificates so their Apple Wallet Passes, Mac apps, extensions, Safari push notifications, and App Store submissions would continue working properly.

There's one edge case for people who frequently troubleshoot and fix Macs, as pointed out by TidBits: old OS X installers downloaded from the Mac App Store before the certificate's expiration date will no longer work. This includes not just installers for El Capitan, but also downloaded installers for Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion—every OS X installer issued using the Mac App Store. It also affects any USB install disks you've created using the downloaded installer.

You can easily re-download any installers you want using the Mac App Store, though for older OS X versions you'll need to make sure that the installer is listed in your purchase history. Also, note that you can't download a version of OS X that isn't compatible with the Mac you're downloading it on; my 2012 iMac can download everything back to Mountain Lion, but it refuses to download Lion. Keep this in mind if you have an extensive back catalog of old installers for archival reasons—as a workaround, setting your Mac's date to before February 14 should also allow older installers to work properly.

source:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/03/psa-updated-apple-certificate-means-old-os-x-installers-dont-work-anymore/

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/03/03/older-os-x-installers-broken-by-certificate/

• Like 1

This expired certificate issue happened before with Snow Leopard (and earlier) updates. One fix at the time was to unpack/repack the installer with pkgutil as this also removes the certificate.

Although with OS installers this isn't really practical. And what about older installers like 10.6... Maybe just setting the date back and fixing it after install.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I heard about this issue and wanted to check by myself.

It appears that all my Installers (all from Mac App Store of course) work fine. That includes, El Capitan, Yosemite and Mavericks in various versions like Developer Previews, GM and final releases plus minor releases like 10.11.x, 10.10.x or 10.9.x. The same for ML, Lion and Sow Leopard (backed up from another genuine Mac).

I know this problem is real and affect some people so question is : why does it works for me ?

How many years have your actual installation? :P

What do you mean ?

I made several USB thumbs recently and used them to install those systems on a blank disk. The USB installers have been made using several Hacks, some are less than a year or 6 months old.

Yes, in fact me too I have no problem, so with a fresh install something is different?

last days I've done a lot of test with createinstallmedia, but the problems never show to me

No difference whether it's fresh install or (attempt) to open "Install OS X xxxx" from App folder. Well, actually, I didn't go through the entire process TBH but the app launch fine when reports about the certificates issue say it won't even open.

BTW, I used restore method ;).

PS : Sadly, I'll be fixed very soon as my Mavericks partition has suddenly been almost erased :shock: ! I'm currently making a new USB thumb (so far, so good…).

BTW, I used restore method ;).

That's why you sure can't see nothing. The problem  I guess appear launching the process. User also can see the error in terminal using createinstallmedia.

Interesting…

But that doesn't explain the "open OS X Installer app" from /Applications error. Also, I had reports that the errors may shows when beginning installation once in the USB Installer screen.

So in fact, we should avoid createinstallmedia !?!

Beside time saving, there's no real benefit to use it anyway ? Just asking…

Interesting…

But that doesn't explain the "open OS X Installer app" from /Applications error. Also, I had reports that the errors may shows when beginning installation once in the USB Installer screen.

Is a multi bundle application, also pkg are signed, error can be about different cert?

So in fact, we should avoid createinstallmedia !?!

Why? you can redowload it when you like by clicking on "purchased" in App Store.app  .. Mavericks is not too old, should be there if you had dowloaded it before.

Why? you can redowload it when you like by clicking on "purchased" in App Store.app  .. Mavericks is not too old, should be there if you had dowloaded it before.

Yeah, I know that :P.

I meant, if someone wants to make a USB thumb with an old installer without bothering to re-download the whole stuff ;).

Update !

As expected, the USB Installer I just made works fine and I'm currently reinstalling Mav 10.9.5 (old one) from scratch.

For this I used the date thing, I just changed it to an older time. Here is the command line you need to do (for those with CIM installer):

date 1002173315

I found it in apple discussions : https://discussions.apple.com/message/29019484#29019484

I ran into this since the beginning of 2016 (reinstalled OSX on my Ativ tab 7), and many programs started to act weird too!