W520 Black Screen when using MBP8,x SMBIOS

gpspl

42 posts in this topic

If there's a delay between finishing the booting process and the black screen, it will be likely the IntelBacklight if I can remember well. Use single user mode to remove it. If nothing helps, I will try to simulate the problem on my system and I will let you know.

IntelBacklight is not for Nvidia GPU, so it likely will cause problems

It is quite weird. I put the kext back and had the problem: booting - nvda kexts loaded - some other stuff - delay - black screen. When I removed it again, the problem is gone. (actually there is one, the screen turns black right after booting, but it is due to my trying to get brightness working and it is fixed by sleeping and waking)

Do you have the ability to perform a clean install? I would send you all the non native files that I have either on the working system or on the installation USB drive that worked with the nvidia card.

Success! Thanks a bunch lukerus1!

Uninstalled nvdida web drivers, repaired permissions and rebuilt kext cache again, and voila, I got the external screen to work.

Reboot with only LCD, after hitting fn-f4, my thinkbook very briefly goes to sleep and wakes up again, with the LCD working.

So Intelbacklight must have been the problem. Very interesting.

I went back to using my DSDT and reinstalled nvidia web drivers. Behaviour is the same, Official driver seems to work a little better.

I then had a look at NVCAP, and found this one to work:

0501010100000100fc1f0000000001070a000000

Immediate picture on LCD, external monitor works plug 'n play.

Very cool, can't thank you enough lukerus!

I'm testing Rehabman's ACPIBacklight now and will report back.

UPDATE: ACPIBacklight messes things up again, also gives AppleLPC errors. Strange.

Nice. Glad to be helpful.

The NVCAP thing is quite interesting. I had the display working immediately after boot. Then I moved the brightness methods from SSDT to DSDT and it broke. So I think it was due this. It might confuse Clover maybe. Unfortunately the brightness doesn't work despite of having the methods set in the PNLF device. In my DSDT there is a lot or checking for Windows systems in the brightness methods, so it might need to dig deeper. But if I remember correctly, in El Capitan the getting the brightness settings is not done by the ACPI methods...

If you need any help with testing ACPIBacklight I can try it too.

One more thing. I tried Web drivers and I got black screen. So I uninstalled them and I am using the CUDA driver only.

That's exactly how I#m doing it now, Nvidia offizcial drivers, no ACPIBacklight.kext

Notebook screen and external monitor and the same time only works with this NVCAP value, and without it the scren wouldn't come up immediately, so I'm keeping it ;)

Now we need a way to control LCD backlight ... and maybe improved fan control, mine is always on.

Sorry, I meant I had it working even without NVCAP. Now, with the modified DSDT I have black screen either with or without it. I will try to put the original DSDT (that I sent you) and will see. My fan is OK, will post the FakeSMC.

I got what you meant, just in my case it doesn't work properly without NVCAP. Probably due to different cards.

Searched for brightness control in El Capitan, but didn't find much.

This could be a starting point, maybe it's all about finding a proper DSDT patch ...

On a side note, just leaving Inject Intel on in Clover works as well. Then by switching to Optimus in Bios, you get the whole thing working with HD3000. No need to change anything in  Clover.

When I don't need the Quadro, this can come in handy.

Ahhh, sorry for the bad link. Will try to find something else ...

Edited by la0011
Please read the rules.

Sorry if multiple topics ware made but i didn't do it. May be some glitch in matrix:>

Lenovo W520

CPU: i7-2760qm

GPU: Nvidia Quadro 1000m

Chipset: QM67

DSDT and config:

Just want to express my appreciation for your having posted this config, as I was able to glean enough info from it to get my own W520 (same GPU, different CPU) running El Capitan. Thanks!

...now, if you have anything helpful w/r/t getting audio working, that would be REALLY appreciated. ;) (VoodooHDA functions, but won't switch from speaker to headphones properly; doesn't seem to have working jack detection - and I've never figured out how to get AppleHDA to cooperate :( )

Just want to express my appreciation for your having posted this config, as I was able to glean enough info from it to get my own W520 (same GPU, different CPU) running El Capitan. Thanks!

...now, if you have anything helpful w/r/t getting audio working, that would be REALLY appreciated. ;) (VoodooHDA functions, but won't switch from speaker to headphones properly; doesn't seem to have working jack detection - and I've never figured out how to get AppleHDA to cooperate :( )

Use AppleHDA from the T420 thread, it will work

• Like 1

@lukerus1

You didn't get the black screen when using ACPIBacklight.kext? Interesting ...

I get that slider as well, probably because I patched PNLF in DSDT. And just like in your case, it doesn't do anything.

Remains to be solved I guess.

• 5 months later...

Sorry if multiple topics ware made but i didn't do it. May be some glitch in matrix:>

Lenovo W520

CPU: i7-2760qm

GPU: Nvidia Quadro 1000m

Chipset: QM67

DSDT and config:

hi,i have the same CPU gpu chipset with you..my laptop is also thinkpad w520...i falis to enable nvidia quadro...what do i should do? thank you..cbd14b41da.jpg

• 5 months later...