As I am developing some apps on windows which needed packaging for Mac, I created an El Capitan VM in VMware workstation pro V5. Then realized that OSX is now SIP protected... aaaargh...! And despite trying different key combos, I could not boot into the OS X Utilities menu so that I could use "csrutil disable" in Terminal.
Finally figured it out and so here it is for anyone who also hates losing time like I did.
1. Start vmware
2. select guest and "power to firmware"
3. in efi menu, enter setup > config boot options > add boot options > select recovery partition > select boot.efi
4. at input file description hit <enter> and type in label e.g. "recovery" > commit changes and exit
5. boot from recovery and be patient
5. follow prompt until you see OS X Utilities menu
6. At the very top menu select Utilities > Terminal
7. In terminal enter "csrutil status"
8. then csrutil disable
9. then csrutil status
10. then reboot > hit enter once or twice
11. Double check in OSX Terminal app to ensure SIP is disabled