Disabling SIP in El Capitan under VMware Workstation Pro Running on Windows 8.1

kkc

15 posts in this topic

As I am developing some apps on windows which needed packaging for Mac, I created an El Capitan VM in VMware workstation pro V5. Then realized that OSX is now SIP protected... aaaargh...!  And despite trying different key combos, I could not boot into the OS X Utilities menu so that I could use "csrutil disable" in Terminal.

Finally figured it out and so here it is for anyone who also hates losing time like I did.

Disabling SIP
1. Start vmware
2. select guest and "power to firmware"
3. in efi menu, enter setup > config boot options > add boot options > select recovery partition > select boot.efi
4. at input file description hit <enter> and type in label e.g. "recovery" > commit changes and exit
5. boot from recovery and be patient
5. follow prompt until you see OS X Utilities menu
6. At the very top menu select Utilities > Terminal
7. In terminal enter "csrutil status"
8. then csrutil disable
9. then csrutil status
10. then reboot > hit enter once or twice

11. Double check in OSX Terminal app to ensure SIP is disabled

Enjoy..!

• Like 2

As I am developing some apps on windows which needed packaging for Mac, I created an El Capitan VM in VMware workstation pro V5. Then realized that OSX is now SIP protected... aaaargh...!  And despite trying different key combos, I could not boot into the OS X Utilities menu so that I could use "csrutil disable" in Terminal.

Finally figured it out and so here it is for anyone who also hates losing time like I did.

Disabling SIP

1. Start vmware

3. in efi menu, enter setup > config boot options > add boot options > select recovery partition > select boot.efi

4. at input file description hit <enter> and type in label e.g. "recovery" > commit changes and exit

5. boot from recovery and be patient

5. follow prompt until you see OS X Utilities menu

6. At the very top menu select Utilities > Terminal

7. In terminal enter "csrutil status"

8. then csrutil disable

9. then csrutil status

10. then reboot > hit enter once or twice

11. Double check in OSX Terminal app to ensure SIP is disabled

Enjoy..!

You could do it simpler with your boot loader settings. Clover can do that perfectly.

Either you don't know what you are talking about or don't know which boot loader you are using, or the VMware doing something illegal...

Uh I wrote the VMware unlocker with nearly 400000 downloads and know how VMware do this. VMware is using an EFI firmware image and boot vanilla OS X on Fusion, and with the unlocker on Workstation and ESXi. It does not use any 3rd party boot loaders.

• Like 2

Donk... thanks for the unlocker ...!! awesome... !  I really did not want to buy a mac just for packaging couple of apps.  Also the boot to EFI is perfect... as it gives access to virtually any object at the bootstrap level.  I haven't tried connecting an apple device yet - iphone or ipad... leave that for another day...!

Uh I wrote the VMware unlocker with nearly 400000 downloads and know how VMware do this. VMware is using an EFI firmware image and boot vanilla OS X on Fusion, and with the unlocker on Workstation and ESXi. It does not use any 3rd party boot loaders.

Well, I didn't know that. I thought that one needs a boot loader even after using your unlocker. Good job on that, I didn't mean anything negative on your job...

Either you don't know what you are talking about or don't know which boot loader you are using, or the VMware doing something illegal...

WOW, that funny! You really have no idea yourself (what you talking about & who you reply to!)

sebus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I wonder, how can you work with kexts or something from MAC os X in vmware. Should you (and if it possible) to install Clover or something?

I've tried installing refind - it works and adds some options. But when I try to run Clover - it fails. Any ideas?

I tried installing Enoch, but I cannot get to boot menu. I can do it with Clover or Refind. I've tried installing refind, but there's one option only. When I tried refind + clover, clover was listed as an option.

• 1 year later...

Hello.

I have VMWare Workstation (not Pro) and am having trouble getting the SIP for my Mac El Capitan turned off.

Reading your post, you say

Looking through all of my settings, with the guest powered down, I can't seem to find that option anywhere.

I've googled for it, but either I am not entering a good search phrase, or I'm going blind (both possible).

Where is this option located.

Regards