NForce4 Serial ATA (DEVELOPMENT)

hamlo

185 posts in this topic

SATA1 disk, I also got a SATA2 disk, but not with any free space for HFS+ partitions.

It is to bad it didn't work, because it is very disturbing to just be able to use 250GB of 980Gb :D

When i run a sfv file (file with crc check sums) with MacSfv, it looks like this

sfvit5.png

And the weird thing is that it is different files that semas to be corrupted every time. This program starts from the top in the list and with constant speed checks all the files, and the result is "Good". Except for sometimes when the program suddenly freezes/stops for a moment, and on this very file it stops the result is always "Bad".

I will try using MacSfv instead of the program I used (frontend for OpenSSL) and redo the tests. I used a 2Gb file all the time. Maybe if I use smaller files like you did I will get the same kind of result. Also I noticed that there (still??) was the message about "ATA ... blocking bus-something" that you can read about all over the forum. Maybe this blocking occurs infrequent and thats when there is a time-out (your reported freeze) and the datastream gets corrupted somehow due to some reset of the bus or something... well I guess you know what I mean? Maybe its time to have a look at the code.

Pemberton: Haven't fixed the -50 error.

What do you think the error is coming from? I know that it has to be something to do with SATA - whether it is the controller, drive, ect. It can't be a problem with the install image used because I used the same DVD to install OSX 10.4.6 on my IDE, without the -50 error, that I did with my SATA drive.

At this point, this error is pretty well making my OSX setup unusable because I can boot into the system but I cannot change or create new files.

Any help with this would be amazing.

my system crashes randomly(locks up..no messages), but the mouse keeps moving.

when it doesn't crash..."seems" it works great but i haven't tested it extensively

i admit i dunno if the issue is due SATA... since i haven't installed macOS natively for a long time(my ide hdd fried sometime ago)

i have a goatsecs 10.4.5

any help?

By the way, this driver is both for the SATA and PATA ports of the chipset (or am I wrong?) I have tested it with SATA drives only, anyone tried it with a PATA drive? Results?

Yes it is, but it seems unchanged from the original Apple one (as far as isSATA is false :) ). Except it has the nForce 4 PATA device id coded in so it'll boot nForce 4 PATA, better perfomance than with standard AppleGenericPCATA on nForce 4.

So what did you change, hamlo? I've diffed AppleNVIDIAnForceATA and it seems you did exactly what I did... namely adding SATA device id, disabling 80-conductor cable check for SATA and disabling timings for SATA. You also tell the system the connection type key is SATA but I think this is for System Info and nothing more.

I'm at work right now, I'll diff it more carefully at home, and I'll also diff the changes you made to AppleOnBoardPCATA.

you say there's even pata code inside..could it be that it leads to conflicts? what if you delete those pata parts?

i dont have got xcode now so i can't check

No conflicts, that kext IS the original (Apple provided) nForce PATA driver but it has SATA addons.

I don't know what he's going to do. He's currently exactly where I am -- and, as I said, I'm lost. Hope he has better ideas.

He said something about rewriting the driver... but still don't know the differences.

Hi

I'm working... New driver fully rewriten. In result i make new standalone module. I testing this module on my computer. Please wait.

The new version nearly...

Simply i have many other work.

Sorry for long time waiting reply from me.