NForce4 Serial ATA (DEVELOPMENT)

hamlo

185 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I have an nforce controler, and I'm wondering if in order to install the driver you guys have been working on, I first need to install in VMWARE, then install the driver there, then dd it over?

Can I patch the install DVD instead?

What's the PPF1 patch I've heard so much about? Does it contain the driver you guys have been working on for SATA?

Thanks so much!

Danny H

Hey everyone. It has been sometime since I last checked how the NF4/SATA project was going and it seems like there has been some real progress, which is great to see.

My problem: I was looking on the OSX86 Project wiki and I was the following under the hardware compatibility list for 10.4.8;

OSX.jpg

I read that and was really excited because that is my setup (see sig below for full details) so I downloaded 10.4.8 (the exact torrent name: MacOSX_10.4.8DVD_AMD_SSE3_TEST_1.3557214.TPB.torrent) and tried installing it just a few hours ago. Well, the install went fine, but then I came to the create a user account screen. I put in my user account information, then clicked "next" or whatever the button is. A dialog box then showed up saying "unable to create user" then went to the boot text and then restarted to the registration screen.

The "unable to create user" issue leads me to believe it is still an issue with the SATA and OSX being unable to write new data to a SATA drive.

I thought my issue might be that I am not using the exact Jas install DVD AMD 10.4.8 SSE 3 TEST 1 install, so I have been looking for it everywhere and have been unable to find it. All I can seem to find is the JaS.10.4.8.AMD.SSE3.Only.Combo.Update, which doesn't help because I need the whole install ISO, not just the upload.

My question: Doe's anyone have a similar setup that got 10.4.8 - or any version of OSX, for that matter - working with SATA? I know that most people don't have SATA working with their NF4 motherboards, but the wiki said it worked with the setup I have. Is there some sort of special setup that I have to do to get it working? I just formatted the SATA drive to FAT32 in Windows, then loaded the 10.4.8 install on a burned DVD, formatted the SATA drive as "Mac (Journaled)" or something like that, and chose Custom install. I chose X11, and left all the others as default and clicked "install" and now I am here.

Please, if you could supply any advice, it would be VERY appreciated. Thank you all so much.

Nobody really has sata working reliable. I would imagine who posted on the wiki. Probley didn't install on a sata drive or just didn't give it enough time to test. Lot's of the dvd's come with a viaata that will detect nforce4 sata, but it dosn't really work. But if someone just installed on a pata and then when they booted there sata windows drive was mounted on the desktop. So they think it's working. Then some people have claimed to have 2 week's or more uptime. So they would also think's it works, but eventually it will corrupt the partion and not boot.

P.S. I noticed your board has a secondary sata controller. Sii 3114, search the forum's you can probley get it going by adding you device id's to viaata.kext