Clover Boot Entries after install issue. and other niggles.

Cerberus73

6 posts in this topic

Ok i finally got a mostly operational install of El Capitan 10.11.3 on my new dual boot Windows 10, OSX rig. Just to clarify this machine has an SLI setup under windows with a pair of 970 GTX 4gb, 1 dedicated Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD for windows and OS X each.. as i thought having separate boot drives would be less hassle. Each OS also has a dedicated 4TB Hybrid HD each, and there is one old Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD i use for windows backup. And a Apple Native Broadcom WiFi Card. I have injected USB, entered all the fixes to raise the number of ports in Clover config.plist, added the entries to get the Nvida web driver for 10.11.3 to work, as well as the latest Cuda drivers for OSX, And done the edits to get the onboard Audio (ALC 1150) along with the shell script to get it all working. The Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH, and the SMBios entries are for mac pro 5,1. I Also have USB-SSDT.aml, and SSDT.aml for CPU in the clover patched folder. Processor is a i5 6600K, clover updated to latest as of time of posting.. right now i have the hardware and basic setup clarified. I shall get onto the niggling issues.

In The Clover GUI i have the following entries from left to right:

Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI (this if selected does boot into win 10)

Boot Mac OS X from Mac (this works as intended, Mac being the name i gave the drive)

Boot Recovery from Recovery HD (have yet to test whether it will boot but i suspect it will)

Boot Windows from EFI (Black screen with a HD icon, does not boot, i suspect the EFI referenced is the Clover EFI not the Windows EFI Partition)

Boot Windows from Windows 10 (Windows 10 is the name of the drive where windows is installed.. same result black screen HD icon, no boot)

Boot Windows from (i suspect it should say Data as that is the other NTFS formatted Drive for Windows use)

All drives are GPT Partitioned, there are no legacy devices, as i wanted to simplify any issues as far as i could regarding Dual Booting etc. Mac Drives are HFS+ Journaled, and Windows Drives are NTFS.

Firstly i would like to find out how to remove the non bootable entries, so i only leave the Windows 10 SSD, And the Mac OSX, and Recovery Drives. and or modify the boot loader so everything is working nicely, it works at the moment but its messy and has other problems.

The other issue i am having is every time i reboot it adds extra entries in my boot options in the bios, so after a few reboots it can have a string of extra entries. i have gone into the clover Command line and removed these by hand by typing: cfg boot dump, looking at the entry number and removing all except the ones pointing to HD directly by typing cfg boot rm XX (where XX is the boot entry number listed). I have read other posts on the web of similar issues, but as yet not found a fix. I have selected the Mac SSD as the 1st boot option in the bios and saved and exited. 

When i built the machine i installed Windows firstly, as there was no working solution to install OSX on this hardware, Windows is installed on the SSD that is Attached to SATA port 1 on the board, The Mac SSD is attached to SATA port 2, I don't know if this will have any bearing on the issues I'm experiencing, but id like to give as much clear info as possible, to hopefully find a solution.

Does anyone know of a way to stop these extra boot entries being created after i remove them and set priority of boot in the bios? I'm VERY new to Clover having only used Chameleon on a somewhat elderly Core2Quad based hack running Mountain Lion. And is there a way to move the extra non bootable drives/partitions in the Clover GUI?

Thanks williamvinzant, already have CSM Disabled in the bios, and it is still adding all these extra entries, I have made some progress, after a lot of digging around old posts here and on other mackintosh related sites, i managed to get rid of all the extra icons on my clover GUI Screen.

I set up a custom entry in clover configurator for my OSX System Drive, and My Windows 10 System Drive. For anyone else having issues with this, the procedure is simple enough, download clover configurator (google it), in the GUI section once you open your clover config.plist with it, select custom instead of auto in the scan section, select entries, and tools. now create a custom entry, you will need your efi folder(s) partition UUID, the path to the boot loader files (BootX64.efi in clovers, case, and bootmgfw.efi in windows case) i left it set as theme for icon, set osx to osx, and windows to windows, and set both as internal. gave them a name. Boot OSX and Boot Windows, saved config.plist, and bob's your mother's brother.. no extra entries in the GUI.. but i still have the problem of clover, the UEFI or whatever is creating these extra boot entries.

They manifest in shell64 like thus.. PCI Root, Some hex numbers i guess point to the drive partition, then it has the HD, bracket,The drive partition UUID, some more hex and a closing bracket. 

This is really starting to get me down. as i have spent 3 solid days trying to beat this problem. and i can't get anywhere approaching a conclusive answer. it seems to be some weird mumbo jumbo voodoo stuff between clover, and the motherboards UEFI, it seems fairly common in the Hackintosh community, yet does not seem to affect everyones rig. I never seemed to have this kind of issue using legacy boot loaders like chameleon. there it was straightforward enough to get a dual boot up and running cleanly.

The easiest way to resolve the extra UEFI entries issue is to use EasyUEFI in Windows to remove the extra entries, add one pointing to CLOVERX64.efi, and then rename the BOOT folder in the EFI partition. There seems to be a bug specific to having that BOOT folder.

Thank you Dremin, i have created a EasyUEFI entry and it was still placing those extra entries. Now it makes sense since you say there is a known bug.. i shall go give that a try and rename the boot folder in the clover EFI partition to something else. i do have a rescue usb in case it all goes pear shaped. 

Well Dremin, Thank you.. that did the trick, Downloaded the free version of Easy UEFI, set it to pick up the clover boot loader, and the windows boot loader, went into OSX, mounted EFI, and renamed the boot folder, Rebooted to clover, removed the extra boot entries in the shell, and jobs done, no more extra entries being created in my bios. I've checked a couple of times after reboots, and no new ones made.