Boot into OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan) without GUI.

mk2soldier

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I would like to boot OS X El Capitan 10.11 without loading the GUI (NO single-user mode) -> completely bypassing the Aqua interface (also the graphical login screen if possible).

I have found this link: http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/h/348 However I've tried it and it seems that the method described there is no longer applicable to newer versions os OS X (editing /etc/ttys lines).

I have also found this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/customization/124780-booting-os-x-without-quartz-aqua-darwin-style.html . It seems that with the introduction of launchd something changed in the boot process, can some Guru/Developer who knows the insides of OS X enlighten me on this particular issue?

I have also another question if you don't mind, how can I log the boot process of the bootloader and the operating system? (Clover)

Thank you in advance for your future replies (Hopefully there'll be :-) and for your hard work on this beautiful project!

Props to you!

P.S. Sorry if it isn't the right section but I couldn't find a better one.

:)

Thank you very much for your reply Allan, I've tried the solution you mentioned in your post but it seems that I'm unable to boot OS X without the GUI, however I've noticed that now the boot process doesn't show the Clover boot selection screen instead it boots directly the OS partition (OS X).

I think that the option is needed to speed up the boot time not showing a (possibly) useless screen.

Tell me what you think.

Thank you again for your time..

EDIT: I've attached the config.plist located in the ESP (EFI/CLOVER/config.plist)

http://pastebin.com/XYdx98Gv

If you want OS X without the GUI you could try http://www.puredarwin.org/

Thank you for your reply however I prefer to stick with El Capitan if possible, PureDarwin seems to be stuck to Darwin 10.X (not to diminish in any way the great work those guys have done).

Currently I'm trying to learn something about launchd, it seems the culprit of my issue..

Do you want single-user mode?

Add flag "-s" to boot arguments. It can be done by a bootloader or by 

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

If possible I would like to boot into "normal mode" (the classic multi-user mode).

I still don't get what you try to accomplish. Do you want to just get rid of the GUI, as in just using the computer only from the console/Terminal or do you just want to hide the boot screen?

Do you want to work only with the console? Why would you install OS X in that case? Just go with (Arch-)Linux...

I still don't get what you try to accomplish. Do you want to just get rid of the GUI, as in just using the computer only from the console/Terminal or do you just want to hide the boot screen?

Do you want to work only with the console? Why would you install OS X in that case? Just go with (Arch-)Linux...

I want to boot the operating system into console mode (without the GUI) the boot screen is already hidden (a non issue for me).

I have already installed GNU/Linux based OS in several machines but this time I would like to use OS X for experimenting a bit (and also for fun, why not :-) ? )

I want to boot the operating system into console mode (without the GUI) the boot screen is already hided (a non issue for me).

I have already installed GNU/Linux based OS in several machines but this time I would like to use OS X for experimenting a bit (and also for fun, why not :-) ? )

I see.

Well if you want to just bypass the GUI, use the suggestion of AppleIIGuy or try to edit /etc/ttys and swap the uncommented and commented console lines and reboot.

For more information see 'man ttys'

edit:

Just make a backup of the file and use the following file for your desired GUI-less OS X:

console 	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	vt100	on secure
tty.serial      "/usr/libexec/getty serial.57600"        vt100   off secure
fax	"/usr/bin/fax answer"	unknown	off
tty[00-07]	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttyp[0x0-0xf]	none			network slot=36
ttyq[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyr[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttys[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyt[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyu[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyv[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyw[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttys[000-999]	none			network

I see.

Well if you want to just bypass the GUI, use the suggestion of AppleIIGuy or try to edit /etc/ttys and swap the uncommented and commented console lines and reboot.

For more information see 'man ttys'

edit:

Just make a backup of the file and use the following file for your desired GUI-less OS X:

console 	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	vt100	on secure
tty.serial      "/usr/libexec/getty serial.57600"        vt100   off secure
fax	"/usr/bin/fax answer"	unknown	off
tty[00-07]	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	unknown	off secure
ttyp[0x0-0xf]	none			network slot=36
ttyq[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyr[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttys[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyt[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyu[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyv[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttyw[0x0-0xf]	none			network
ttys[000-999]	none			network
Thank you for your interest however the beforementioned method doesn't work anymore in recent versions of OS X (at least in 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11).
A strange thing that I have discovered is that the ">console" login method seems to at least partially works, I've tried it and I could see (only for 2 maybe 3 seconds) a console login screen (white text on black background) with the following text: Darwin 15.3.0 (or something along those lines) together with a user login prompt, sadly then the screen dims to black and I can't see anything.. I've tried it on a real Mac (MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015) and using the brightness keys to light up the screen has no effect.

Could you guys try it and report back your findings? It would be immensely helpful.

Now I'm going to try it on an El Capitan Hackintosh (10.11.3)..

• 4 months later...

smolderas, thank you very much for your reply.

I will certainly try and report back my findings.

Have a nice day :-)

Hello mk2soldier, just had the same need as you and found this post.  So far you are the only one that has documented the process with el cap.  

Have you been able to accomplish what you wanted with a GUI-less OS X?