Yosemite 10.10.5 on HP XW8600

Benjudas

20 posts in this topic

After a long fight with my old, but big machine, I finally managed to work correctly Yosemite 10.10.5 in my XW8600 workstation.

Again the problem was IOPCIFamily and ACPIPlatform, but overwriting the Yosemite IOPCIFamily binary with the old one from my other post (Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW8600 - Complete Desktops - InsanelyMac Forum), I could rebuild the cache and detect all devices.

The balance of damage is:
The processors are running a bit more warm than in Mavericks.
Firewire did not want to work with the old IOPCIFamily, so I had to rescue IOFirewireFamily from 10.9.5.
I lost AppleHDA functionality, so I'm using vooodoohda.
Still can not sleep. (Same as in Mavericks)

The rest is fully functional as I had at Mavericks.
I am quite happy because even though lately I have not much time to play with my hackintosh, I finally got a fairly stable installation.

The good thing was, that I found that is running AGPM (without mod plist) whenever using only two monitors. It breaks when I connect the third.

I upload the kexts I've used.

Good Hack!

post-415560-0-17368200-1453767623_thumb.png

post-415560-0-01217100-1453767662_thumb.png

post-415560-0-82955600-1453767690_thumb.png

post-415560-0-43432400-1453767730_thumb.png

post-415560-0-90353000-1453767752_thumb.png

post-415560-0-62647300-1453767784_thumb.png

Kexts 10.10.5 XW8600 .zip

• Like 1

HI Benjudas I see your first post

I dont know if you have bios option FSB Optimisation = ON

But for my DELL Precision 690

2X  Intel® Xeon® Processor X5355 (8M Cache, 2.66 GHz

​Before the change My first CPU 1 and 2  is at 61 to 65 and some time 71 with a big app running

515.png

I just find a good solution today Enable in bios FSB Optimisation = ON

And I  put a Fan to the low back of the Computer to squeeze out the hot air.

dell-p10.jpg

Now my result  :D 

014.jpg

• Like 1

After a long fight with my old, but big machine, I finally managed to work correctly Yosemite 10.10.5 in my XW8600 workstation.

Again the problem was IOPCIFamily and ACPIPlatform, but overwriting the Yosemite IOPCIFamily binary with the old one from my other post (Mavericks 10.9.2 on HP XW8600 - Complete Desktops - InsanelyMac Forum), I could rebuild the cache and detect all devices.

The balance of damage is:
The processors are running a bit more warm than in Mavericks.
Firewire did not want to work with the old IOPCIFamily, so I had to rescue IOFirewireFamily from 10.9.5.
I lost AppleHDA functionality, so I'm using vooodoohda.
Still can not sleep. (Same as in Mavericks)

The rest is fully functional as I had at Mavericks.
I am quite happy because even though lately I have not much time to play with my hackintosh, I finally got a fairly stable installation.

The good thing was, that I found that is running AGPM (without mod plist) whenever using only two monitors. It breaks when I connect the third.

I upload the kexts I've used.

Good Hack!

That's great news, now i have hope that I could run Yosemite on mine.  I'm just having a hard time getting my usb installer to be recognized though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good work, Benjudas & Rockey! I didn't expect to see anything beyond Mavericks on this machine. I am not sure if I really want to install it after all the trouble with just getting Mavericks to work, but I may do so if I am bored some day.

Incidentally, I am able to hot-swap my Firewire drives under Mavericks despite this being a known issue. I do not know when/how this started to work. It wasn't always this way. I still have no HDMI audio working. I know that will require a DSDT.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed Benjudas' steps in the xw8600 Mavericks thread for the most part. I had to do some things differently and it was kind of a pain to get through all the steps correctly but the end result was finally a stable system (could never get HDMI audio working). Problem is Mavericks is old now and I don't like getting Security Updates that break the system. I am happy to have recently found a real Mac Pro. That is not to say I have given up on Hackintoshing. You never know if the right hardware comes along....I may be temped to tinker again.

@jdryyz How did you manage to install Mavericks on your xw8600? it seems like clover is no go with this workstation. Whats the proper settings for bios?  I just updated my bios last night to version v1.46.

• Like 1

I followed Benjudas' steps in the xw8600 Mavericks thread for the most part. I had to do some things differently and it was kind of a pain to get through all the steps correctly but the end result was finally a stable system (could never get HDMI audio working). Problem is Mavericks is old now and I don't like getting Security Updates that break the system. I am happy to have recently found a real Mac Pro. That is not to say I have given up on Hackintoshing. You never know if the right hardware comes along....I may be temped to tinker again.

Oh ok, I love hackintosh(es). I refuse to buy a real mac. The esthetics are nice indeed but i think they're over priced imo so to each his own. Now, that doesnt mean if i found one at an unbeatable price, that i won't buy. 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone managed to get clover to work on this workstation yet?  I'm not sure if this is really hard to do because my HP Z400 was the same issue with Clover or so i thought. But the devs here have made it possible to run latest MacOS El Capitan 10.11.5 via clover bootloader.  After i initially installed and booted up to set my name and stuff with chameleon bootloader, I can't seem to ever get the machine to boot.. I'm always reaching this iobluetooth transport kernel panic every time. And if i so choose to boot with -v -f UsekernelCache=Yes. 

• 3 weeks later...

well you're doing better than i - i can't even get my xw8600 to boot off USB to do an install - keep kernel panic

i've tried several different methods now but the chamelon/enoch seems to at least 'boot' so i can select options on my usb boot, only to receive a kernel panic anyway.

my machine is an xw8600, x5470v2 xeon, 32GB, quadro fx5800

alot of folks use that 'other place' methods to boot ; however ; using that other places method - that 'uni****' will not even boot off USB! 

thoughts / advice, very welcome :)

so made some progress. after reading peoples experiences i grabbed 'myhack' down and mavericks. and i actually get to an installer (which still fails) but it fails because it doesn't see a hard disk. but at least i have some feedback to tell me what the heck is going on now :)

• 6 months later...

Someone made a post earlier yesterday about getting Sierra on this workstation and it seems as though the trick to getting the hard drive to show is to use the AHCIPortInjector kext and to format the usb thumbdrive as mbr and not guid scheme. I've yet to turn on my workstation in over a year and change since yosemite days because i just simply couldn't get it to work no matter what i tried.. I'll definitely give it a try again because it's such a beautifully made machine.

As soon as i change to an SSD, my xw8600 will be almost identical as yours.  I've just managed to finally get Mac OS X El capitan to install on my workstation.  After owning this machine for amost 2 years, I can honestly say that im quite happy with the outcome. It's fairly stable aside from proper sleep/wake issue. It goes to sleep just fine, but upon waking up, it just reboots.  One interesting thing is that when the machine goes to sleep, the power led just stays lit and not blinking like the usual way on other machines.  

well you're doing better than i - i can't even get my xw8600 to boot off USB to do an install - keep kernel panic

i've tried several different methods now but the chamelon/enoch seems to at least 'boot' so i can select options on my usb boot, only to receive a kernel panic anyway.

my machine is an xw8600, x5470v2 xeon, 32GB, quadro fx5800

alot of folks use that 'other place' methods to boot ; however ; using that other places method - that 'uni****' will not even boot off USB! 

thoughts / advice, very welcome :)

You have the same CPU(s) as me. Which heatsink are you using?  The tall single fan high performance ones or the regular ones that came with the machine?