Dead mouse after booting El Capitan installer

RePete222

15 posts in this topic

I have created a bootable El Capitan USB installer volume, and have applied the USB Fix for El Capitan V2, but when I get to the language select screen, my mouse is unresponsive--won't move the cursor at all.  I was able to stumble through with the keyboard, once I figured out what keyboard shortcuts to use at each screen, and installed to a HDD test partition, but have the same problem booting that partition as well.

I'm not sure what to try at this point, other than reverting some kexts (IOUSBfamily and IOUSBMassStorage, e.g) to the Mavericks level (since the aforementioned fix is basically a reversion to Yosemite level, as I understand it).  My partially working Mavericks partition at least has the mouse working.

Any ideas for getting my mouse working in El Cap?

Thanks.

Basically, two USB ports should always be active and work, you have to find the active USB ports!

USB-Fix, if you can not be realized by the DSDT patch, then use this package:

In this regard, many contributions have been here written.

Basically, two USB ports should always be active and work, you have to find the active USB ports!

I don't think this is really a question of finding an active USB port: If I unplug a working USB keyboard, and plug a USB mouse into the same USB port, it doesn't work. It seems to be an issue of mouse support specifically.

USB-Fix, if you can not be realized by the DSDT patch, then use this package:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/521-usb-fix-for-el-capitan/

That's what I have already used, just to get it to boot all the way in the first place--and still no mouse.

In this regard, many contributions have been here written.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/522-os-x-1011-el-capitan/

I will dig through that forum some more, and also try reverting to Mavericks-level kexts.  I did come across a post in that forum (only a day or 2 old) from someone who seems to be having the same mouse issue--no indication that it's been solved yet.

Thanks

Partial success.  :)  I reverted IOUSBfamily and IOUSBMassStorage to their Mav-level versions, and also updated to Bronya's kernel version (was using an earlier version before).  This combination of changes at least got my mouse working when I get to the desktop.  However, all other USB (besides mouse & keyboard) is not working.  When I plug in a flash drive, I get a message about "System Extension _______ cannot be used, ...", and the drive does not mount.

Since I did have a newer kernel in play this time, I think I will go back to the vanilla USB kexts, and re-apply the USB Fix for El Capitan as needed.  I did boot into single-user mode in order to have a means of typing in the sudo kextcache commands without having to mouse-navigate to Terminal.  Got a whole mess of error messages out of that (probably the same issue spakk had with his initial version of the USB Fix)--but at least the end result was a working mouse when I exited to the desktop. 

Mixed results after working on this over the weekend.  :(  Still had to use the same mix of USB-related kexts (USB Fix for El Capitan, plus Mav level IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage), but this time had all USB working!  I still get the "System Extension ______ cannot be used" messages when inserting a USB device (flash drive or mouse), but the flash drive will mount anyway, and the plugged-in mouse also works.  So I at least have a partially working El Cap system to build on.  :thumbsup_anim:

With the installer USB flash drive, however, things seem to have gone backwards.  :(  After applying the same USB fixes, and updating to the same kernel, booting from this installer volume now stalls after issuing the mount messages for the other disk volumes.  I may have to go back and rebuild it from scratch, and then put the Bronya kernel and USB fixes back on, and see if things turn out any better.  I really would like to get a working, bootable installer volume, complete with working mouse support. (btw, cloning the flash drive onto a SATA-connected disk partition didn't help; still the same boot stall issue.)

Things have improved of late--more details to follow.  I still can't get the USB install volume to boot all the way to the desktop, even after applying USB Fix V3 and the same kernel version that has my El Cap test system working.  Attached is a screenshot of the point where it hangs during boot (stays here for 30+ minutes before I give up & reboot).

post-1650425-0-96151400-1453991126_thumb.jpg

My El Cap test partition seems to be working consistently now with full USB support.  :)   Here's a recap of what I did to get it there, following my initial application of the USB Fix for El Capitan V3:

• Added two kexts to S/L/E that were previously left out due to my interpretation of the USB Fix instructions.
  • Booted in single-user mode and ran the "sudo kextcache" commands.  Had errors rebuilding prelinked kernel, but reached the desktop with a working mouse.
  • Repaired kext permissions in E/E and S/L/E using Kext Wizard.
  • Opened a Terminal session and reran the sudo commands to rebuild caches.  This time I only got warning messages, and the rebuild succeeded.
  • Rebooted with regular set of bootflags.

After rebooting, I had full USB support, and no more "System Extension cannot be used" messages popped up.  So far, I'm having consistent results from one reboot to the next.  :thumbsup_anim:  Now if I can just transfer that success to my Installer USB volume...

My El Cap test partition seems to be working consistently now with full USB support.  :)   Here's a recap of what I did to get it there, following my initial application of the USB Fix for El Capitan V3:

• Added two kexts to S/L/E that were previously left out due to my interpretation of the USB Fix instructions.
  • Booted in single-user mode and ran the "sudo kextcache" commands.  Had errors rebuilding prelinked kernel, but reached the desktop with a working mouse.
  • Repaired kext permissions in E/E and S/L/E using Kext Wizard.
  • Opened a Terminal session and reran the sudo commands to rebuild caches.  This time I only got warning messages, and the rebuild succeeded.
  • Rebooted with regular set of bootflags.

After rebooting, I had full USB support, and no more "System Extension cannot be used" messages popped up.  So far, I'm having consistent results from one reboot to the next.  :thumbsup_anim:  Now if I can just transfer that success to my Installer USB volume...

I've been having the same issue and I need it for Unreal Engine, so I've been using Windows 8.1.

What boot flags and kernel are you using? And what extensions did you have to roll back to Mavericks?

Do you have an FX AMD?

I've been having the same issue and I need it for Unreal Engine, so I've been using Windows 8.1.

What boot flags and kernel are you using? And what extensions did you have to roll back to Mavericks?

Do you have an FX AMD?

I am using Bronya's kernel, and the following org.chameleon.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>BooterConfig</key>
	<string>0x28</string>
	<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
	<string>103</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1 usekernelcache=No -v -f npci=0x3000</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>USBLegacyOff</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I originally rolled back the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext to Mav level, but with the USB Fix for El Cap V3, I used the supplied set of kexts with no substitutions.

My AMD is not an FX; it's a Phenom II X6 1090T.

For my USB Installer volume, I tried starting over from the 10.11.3 updated Install app after downloading it from the App Store.  I then applied the USB Fix V3, along with deleting the usual kexts, and was able to boot all the way to the Installer--but still no mouse.  :(  After attempting the permissions repair and cache rebuilds, I was once again having the same hung boot issue as before (see screenshot in prior post).  Somebody needs to identify the true root cause of this hang; I've tried everything I can think of to get it bootable (even copying S/L/PrelinkedKernels from my working test partition). :mad:  Is there a way to run the kextcache commands against a different target volume?  Or some equivalent utility that's El Cap-compatible?

• 3 weeks later...

I have got the same problem. But I noticed that my mouse is somewhat recognized: The extra buttons provoke an reaction like scrolling up and down a list, so it seems that El Capitan thinks it is a keyboard. I have tried the USB Fix v3 as well as using the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext from Yosemite (which works flawlessly on my AMD) but to no effect. At least I was able to activate the numpad mouse which makes it a little bit easier than just using keyboard shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi, i'm having the exact same Problem with the installation of 10.11.4 build 15E65.

I prepared my system as shown in the video from Shaneee. Applied USB-Fix v3 and used Bronyas Kernel RC2. After applying those, i was able to reach the installer.

Keyboard is working, Mouse is dead. Any help would be appreciated.

thx

• 2 months later...

Mixed results after working on this over the weekend. :( Still had to use the same mix of USB-related kexts (USB Fix for El Capitan, plus Mav level IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage), but this time had all USB working! I still get the "System Extension ______ cannot be used" messages when inserting a USB device (flash drive or mouse), but the flash drive will mount anyway, and the plugged-in mouse also works. So I at least have a partially working El Cap system to build on. :thumbsup_anim:

With the installer USB flash drive, however, things seem to have gone backwards. :( After applying the same USB fixes, and updating to the same kernel, booting from this installer volume now stalls after issuing the mount messages for the other disk volumes. I may have to go back and rebuild it from scratch, and then put the Bronya kernel and USB fixes back on, and see if things turn out any better. I really would like to get a working, bootable installer volume, complete with working mouse support. (btw, cloning the flash drive onto a SATA-connected disk partition didn't help; still the same boot stall issue.)

Hi, have the same problem, can you send me the working kexts please?