Asus X552LDV-SX470D won't boot to installer (Clover)

arsradu

86 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm trying to install El Capitan on a friend's laptop. It's an ASUS X552L. It should (in theory) have a UEFI bios. So I made the Clover USB installer and tried to boot from it. Clover UI loads fine, but when selecting the USB to start the installation, the laptop simply restarts. I tried booting in verbose mode, but no log is displayed. It just doesn't start anything.

CPU: i5 4210U

GPU: GeForce 820M

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Any idea what's happening? I tried booting both in UEFI and Legacy mode. Same result for both.

Check Haswell and AsusAICPUPM patch in Kernel and patches section of Clover Configurator

Hi, carbo. Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately checking HaswellE and AsusAICPUPM in Clover Config didn't make any difference... I can upload the config if you want.

Any idea?

Sorry for interrupt :)

Hi Asradu,, You can add manually entry boot from bios right?? Check it

Then add boot entry with this path at bios "EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi"

Then boot with the new entry,, let's me know if it works for you :)

PS : I always delete "CsmVideoDxe.efi" at my USB Installer.

Try this config.plist, put the kext you have in 10.11 also in Other

No change here, even with the kexts in both places. This laptop has only USB 3.0. The USB pen drive is also USB 3.0 compatible, and since it's loading it at boot, I'm assuming it's not a matter of incompatibility with that. Could it be?

Also, any idea what else could I try?

Sorry for interrupt :)

Hi Asradu,, You can add manually entry boot from bios right?? Check it

Then add boot entry with this path at bios "EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi"

Then boot with the new entry,, let's me know if it works for you :)

PS : I always delete "CsmVideoDxe.efi" at my USB Installer.

In my experience so far, with and without CSM, doesn't make any difference to me. Also, I did try without it too. And got the same result.

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the path in BIOS. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing in this machine's BIOS.

No change here, even with the kexts in both places. This laptop has only USB 3.0. The USB pen drive is also USB 3.0 compatible, and since it's loading it at boot, I'm assuming it's not a matter of incompatibility with that. Could it be?

Also, any idea what else could I try?

In my experience so far, with and without CSM, doesn't make any difference to me. Also, I did try without it too. And got the same result.

I'm not sure what you mean by setting the path in BIOS. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing in this machine's BIOS.

Did you try my suggestion?

No,, AFAIK Asus Notebook with UEFI Bios has feature to add manually entry bios.

I have same problem with you long ago,, but with different notebook. I got problem with Dell Notebook. Blank screen after "hit" partition of OS X. Then i try to make new boot entry manually to "EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi". Default ones it will boot from "EFI/Boot/Boox64.efi".

Some notebook won't work, but with dell notebook it's works. :)

Sorry for my bad english

Well it's strange for AMI BIOS :(

It's the first time I ever encounter this issue on any computer. :)) I didn't have such issue on my PC (the configuration in my sig).

But this is weird. It's set to verbose mode, but it doesn't even start loading anything, any kind of log. It just reboots.

Well it's strange for AMI BIOS :(

Final solution is using Enoch Bootloader, and it will work for you

If it's a matter of bootloader, I should probably ask in the Clover section. I never used Enoch...

Update: ok, I posted a question in the Clover thread, as well. Let's see if  there is any solution for this. If there is, I'll update this post/thread accordingly so that other people know how to fix this issue.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any idea, please, do share it.

Thank you very much for your cooperation so far.

You should have used the Kernel Pm option.... that's the only one to prevent those early kernel panics.. The OS X tries to overwrite an MSR sector but in Haswell CPUS this is locked, so that's why it reboots.

Use Kernel PM in Clover Configurator

• Like 1

You should have used the Kernel Pm option.... that's the only one to prevent those early kernel panics.. The OS X tries to overwrite an MSR sector but in Haswell CPUS this is locked, so that's why it reboots.

Use Kernel PM in Clover Configurator

Uhum.. Ok. Well, I guess this issue occurs only with some laptop CPUs. Cause on my Desktop PC, I've also got a Haswell chip, and never encountered this issue. Nor did I have to check the option for HaswellE in CC.

And if this is another kind of KP, I've never seen it before. Usually they throw a specific kind of error. This one threw nothing. :)) But I will surely try your suggestion and let you know.

Thank you. :)

Update:

Well, IT WORKED! Now we've got another problem though: no input. We've got to the installer screen, but no way to go further since the trackpad doesn't work, and none of the keys on the keyboard seem to do anything when pressed.

Any ideas?

Update2: ok, I got the input to work with a kext. (ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext) :)

Still, I couldn't get the WiFI, BT and sound (I need internet for that in order to try toleda's script and see if I can get that to work, as well).

WiFi chipset is a Broadcom BCM43142.

• Like 1

For sound try and use patched AppleHDA.. 

WiFi and Bluetooth are depending of hardware!

Good luck and good hack!

I'll try that too. :) First I need to find out which god damn codec does this audio chipset use. Cause toleda's script was not able to automatically identify it. Which is kinda weird.

WiFi and BT might be a no go... For now. Seems there is no support for BCM43142.

I'll mark the thread as Solved though, thanks to your post about adding Kernel Pm in Clover Configurator. That made it work in this case. So the main issue and the reason for the thread is now fixed.

However, I want to thank everyone for their cooperation and if anyone finds anything about WiFi or sound or video (see below), feel free to PM me or post here. There might be other people interested in that, and keeping the information in one place might be a good thing to do.

Video is really choppy as well. Nvidia GPU is disabled (using nv_disable=1) in order to boot (though using nvda_drv=1 makes it boot, as well) and the Intel HD 4400 shows 4MB of RAM in About this Mac, with Intel Injection option in Clover... Not sure if that is the reason for the lack of acceleration or smooth animations but it surely isn't pleasant to look at. I read that this GPU from Nvidia (the Optimus) has some issues with compatibility, and not much support from the game manufacturers or software manufacturers in general. So you buy a decent laptop and you think that it's got a good GPU in it, but you can't use it cause software has no support for it. And you can't disable the iGPU in BIOS. Cause they're supposed to "work together". Well, clearly they don't.

Anyway, if I find anything, I'll update this thread as well, for the sake of consistency. To have everything in one place.

You should extract the native ACPI files and correct them, disabling the Nvidia card in the process. It will help your graphics and overall stability, as well as battery life (talking about custom made DSDT and SSDTs).

Optimus will never work in Mac OS X.

For Wifi best  replacement with working Bluetooth would be Broadcom BCM94352MHB

You should also use the option Inject Intel in Clover Configurator and use different ig-platform-id values, depending on if you have Intel HD4400 or HD5500 or HD3000.

• Like 1

You should extract the native ACPI files and correct them, disabling the Nvidia card in the process. It will help your graphics and overall stability, as well as battery life (talking about custom made DSDT and SSDTs).

Optimus will never work in Mac OS X.

For Wifi best  replacement with working Bluetooth would be Broadcom BCM94352MHB

You should also use the option Inject Intel in Clover Configurator and use different ig-platform-id values, depending on if you have Intel HD4400 or HD5500 or HD3000.

Yep, I was talking to a good friend of mine here on the forum about making a custom DSDT. But since I've never done that before, it's gonna be hard.

When you say replace with BCM94352MHB, you mean...physical replacement? As in...buying another card? Or some software tricks? And if you mean physical replacement, would that still work with Windows (the goal here would be to be able to use both OS X and Windows)?

iGPU is an Intel HD 4400. But I have no idea which ig-platform-id to add in Clover. Any tips? Where would I get this information from?

Yep, I was talking to a good friend of mine here on the forum about making a custom DSDT. But since I've never done that before, it's gonna be hard.

When you say replace with BCM94352MHB, you mean...physical replacement? As in...buying another card? Or some software tricks? And if you mean physical replacement, would that still work with Windows (the goal here would be to be able to use both OS X and Windows)?

iGPU is an Intel HD 4400. But I have no idea which ig-platform-id to add in Clover. Any tips? Where would I get this information from?

It is hard process but I have similar hardware, I have Asus X550LDV so I could help you with this.

In clover press F4 and you will get a dump of the ACPI files. they will be located in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin

Compress them and send them tome, I'll help you, i also have HD4400..

Also have you tried using Intel Fake-id in cloverconfigurator with the value of 0x04128086 and ig-platform id with the value of 0x0a260006

Yeah I am waiting for one of the BCM94352MHB so I can replace my lapis card.. Physical replacement is the only way for our cards

It is hard process but I have similar hardware, I have Asus X550LDV so I could help you with this.

In clover press F4 and you will get a dump of the ACPI files. they will be located in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin

Also have you tried using Intel Fake-id in cloverconfigurator with the value of 0x04128086 and ig-platform id with the value of 0x0a260006

Yeah I am waiting for one of the BCM94352MHB so I can replace my lapis card.. Physical replacement is the only way for our cards

Use Fake-ID value in Devices, IntelGFX

Use ig-platform-id in Graphics, ig-platform-id

Be sure that in the graphics section you also are injecting intel.

Btw are you using the FakePCIID for our graphics card?? cause that kext makes all the difference

• Like 1

Btw are you using the FakePCIID for our graphics card?? cause that kext makes all the difference

Waw, thank you so much for your answer and for the offer. I'm surely going to need your help with this.

Uhm, I didn't try any of those. I didn't need it on my desktop, so I didn't know they are necessary on a laptop.

I don't have the laptop near me, but tomorrow I think I'll be able to extract those DSDTs and send them to you.

Again, big thank you for all your help. Really appreciated. :)

Hello,

Here are the ACPI tables extracted with Clover.

Please, let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Update:

I tried using 0x01620005 for ig-platform-id. Didn't make any difference in terms of acceleration. And I still have "4MB" of RAM in About This Mac.

I also downloaded and tried Rehabman's FakePCIID kext (put in Clover/kexts/10.11, along with the other 3rd party kexts). I checked that it was loaded with bdmesg (it seems to be loaded successfully), but didn't make a difference in the acceleration and overall performance.

Also tried FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext from Rehabman's collection of awesome kexts. Couldn't find anything specific to Intel HD 4400 so I used this one instead.

And I also tried adding FakeID 0x04128086 in Devices for IntelGFX. Not sure that's the right ID though.[/size]

So far no success with the video acceleration (and still got 4MB of RAM in About).

origin.zip

I tried using 0x01620005 for ig-platform-id. Didn't make any difference in terms of acceleration. And I still have "4MB" of RAM in About This Mac.

Post output from 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

Post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (remove 'themes').

Post ioreg as ZIP (use IORegistryExplorer v2.1)

Also post output of:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Note: If you have HD4400, 0x01620005 makes no sense. It is for Ivy/HD4000, not Haswell/HD4400. The 'lspci -nn' will tell which hardware you actually have.
  • Like 1

Post output from 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

Post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (remove 'themes').

Post ioreg as ZIP (use IORegistryExplorer v2.1)

Also post output of:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Note: If you have HD4400, 0x01620005 makes no sense.

Hey! Long time no talk. :)

Well, I was pretty sure that hex was wrong... I got it from a Tony thread. It was probably used as an example, or it simply was for another iGPU.

Anyway, the only problem here is that I don't have a Ubuntu/Linux bootable drive. I could probably make one. But it's gonna be tricky. Can I do the first step on the Mac somehow? Or can I use DPCIManager to get to whatever information you're seeking?

The rest of the things you requested will be provided, as an update to this post, as soon as possible.

Update:

Ok, so EFI zip can be downloaded from here.

Ioreg can be downloaded from here.

I removed the themes folder but I left the origin folder with the DSDTs in case you need it (it's been also uploaded separately here).

​sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

This command didn't show any output.

Working on the first requirement.

Update 2:

Attached the output for lspci -nn from Ubuntu.

lspci -nn.txt.zip

EFI folder not requested. In the future, please provide only EFI/Clover (without 'themes'). It will be much smaller than 17mb.

(not needed right now, though... ioreg shows obvious mistake)

The ioreg shows the big problem: wrong ig-platform-id.