Reach pixel clock over 330MHz

Passmore

2 posts in this topic

I recently acquired a QNIX 2710 PLS monitor from Korea. For those who aren't aware of these beasts, they can be bought for about 270$ (£170 for me) on eBay, and are essentially fantastically good screens, with the ability to be clocked up to 120hz refresh rate = super smooth graphics on the screen. In windows, this can be done in the NVIDIA control panel, simply by creating a new custom resolution, and setting the refresh rate that high. On OS X, it is somewhat trickier... 

I downloaded a program called 'SwitchResX', which allowed me to set a custom resolution, but sadly if i set it to any higher than 84hz, it exceeds the 330Mhz pixel clock limit (which i believe OS X & Nvidia webdrivers both have,) and it fails to save the resolution.

Anyone got any ideas of how i might get around this? Could there be a plist or something that i could tweak to unlock the pixel clock in OS X?

I'm running a GTX 780, with NVIDIA Webdrivers, using a 24AWG Dual-Link DVI cable, on El Capitan 10.11.2. Skylake system.

Many thanks in advance to any who reply and any who can share wisdom on the matter.

EDIT: I have found one guy who achieved this in Yosemite... sadly his instructions don't work for El Capitan. He actually states in his post that it won't work in El Capitan, but says that the following command MIGHT work. I have tried it, and it hasn't. Is anyone able to fill in the missing piece for me?

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit

• 1 year later...