Big Typhoon

sadiekiller

9 posts in this topic

ok, so i bought a big typhoon for my computer aobut a year ago, but shortly after installing it, my motherboard had a seizure and died, killing my graphics card with it. well when I tried to remove the bracket and foam on the back of the mobo about half of it ripped off, so that it is still covered, but only with half the foam. Ill post some pictures too, so you can see what im talking about. I want to put i back on, cause i ordered a new PSU yesterday and need more cooling power now. I guess i just wanted a second opinion if it is safe to just go ahead and put it on as is, none of the metal will touch, but i want to make sure. There is a replacement kit, but with shipping thats about 20$. maybe i could use my own foam? well here are some pics, hope any of you guys can help.

You should cover the little bit thats showing. You could use rubber-cement glue or gasket sealer if you have it. Silicone would be ideal and it would be a good idea to put a bunch of globs on the case under the CPU and around to help support the weight :D

ok, so i bought a big typhoon for my computer aobut a year ago, but shortly after installing it, my motherboard had a seizure and died, killing my graphics card with it.

Damm, sorry to hear about that. I ordered a Big Typhoon for my new build and it is supposed to arrive from NewEgg today.

Maybe i could use my own foam?

I think this is the way to go, but try use a high quality foam, perhaps something that seems like the original. You want to avoid some of the cheaper off-white color packing foams that oxidize and become brittle.

You could use rubber-cement glue or gasket sealer if you have it. Silicone would be ideal and it would be a good idea to put a bunch of globs on the case under the CPU and around to help support the weight :blink:

First, I think that completely replacing the original foam which a uniform material is a good idea for a number of reasons including helping to promote a level mount of heatsink (a patch job will be less stable and perhaps apply uneven pressure to the CPU). Second, I think foam is the way to go here, not glue (but perhaps using some adhesive to attached the foam to the bracket). If you do use silicon, it would be better to get a non-corrosive, low-order kind (the acetic acid, which smells like vinegar, in regular silicones can eat circuits).

yea, so i get the idea now, ill probalby get new foam and adheasive.

ya thank you all for being so helpful. and in relativly little time. now all i have to do if find some material and wait for my PSU.