Windows 8.1 Pro won't dual boot.

Siralland

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been trying to figure this out for about 3 days now. I want to dual boot El Capitan with Windows 8.1 Pro. I know that boot camp will not work with it. I have tried Legacy and UEFI booting. Problem is, Windows will only boot with Legacy but Mac will not boot in Legacy mode. I have partitioned my drive several times trying different things but I always will get an error because Windows 8.1 doesn't want to install or boot in UEFI. My boot loader will not work with Legacy though... Does anyone know how I would go about fixing this? Thanks

Problem is, Windows will only boot with Legacy but Mac will not boot in Legacy mode. I have partitioned my drive several times trying different things but I always will get an error because Windows 8.1 doesn't want to install or boot in UEFI.

@Siralland,

Most likely your disk has a hybrid MBR/GPT layout instead of a pure GPT/protective MBR ---> prevents Windows from being installed in UEFI mode.

Download GDisk and follow the directions in post#359 to replace the hybrid MBR with a new protective MBR.  Afterwards, install Windows in UEFI mode following the directions in this guide.

Good Luck!

PS Please put your hardware/software info in your signature so others can help you more easily.

• Like 1

How would I install that if I don't have windows installed on my computer?

All the steps that fusion71au suggested are done in OS X, prior to installing Windows. 

• Like 1

If you are booting to Clover on the Windows Installer USB following my guide, you need to press the number <6> key when you see the blinking underscore.

Alternatively, if you already have a working Clover on your hard drive, you can omit the steps to install Clover on the USB and boot via your hard disk's Clover to start bootmgfw.efi on the USB (“Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from your_USB_name”).

• Like 1