Quo Bios update uncertainty

maxprum

8 posts in this topic

This is my first post here and I am hoping someone will take pity on a newbie like me and help me out, I am a video editor and I'm fairly computer savvy but I'm no developer or programmer.  I have a quo computer from 2013 with a Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard.  I am currently running OS X 10.8.5 and I want to update to El Capitan.  I looked online and got the instructions and downloaded the H2N.OZ1669M BIOS.  However every time I got to flash the Bios the screen locks up just before the window asking me to confirm the flash should appear, I waited a couple minutes and then restarted.  Should I just wait for the next prompt to load?  I am also a little concerned about installing this Bios and bricking my motherboard because the video with the instructions for flashing predates its release.   I was looking at the newest release forum and saw a link to a user developed Bios called Z77MXQUOAOS.H3C.1669M.ROM.  Is this the one that I should use?  I really appreciate any advice on this, I love my hackintosh but I have to admit i am not as expert as a lot of hackintosh users.

I just flashed mine from H3B to H3C 1479 yesterday.  I think H3C is the latest, but I could be wrong.  I suspect maybe it is the file or usb drive?  I believe the usb drive needs to be ms-dos fat32 format, yep just checked :)  Try to the option to save the existing version to the same drive to see if it can read/write to the drive ok.

On a related note, I spun the tires on trying to upgrade from Mavericks to El Cap and wasn't successful. 

Before I did this, I cloned my 120G ssd boot disk to a new 1TB SSD drive using carbon copy.  I shut it down, removed the 120G disk and it booted up nicely on the new disk.

I now had a backup boot disk removed the picture.

I then upgraded from H3B to H3C.  I formatted an 8G usb drive with 1 partition using the osx disk utility ms-dos fat32.  I then downloaded the latest bios from https://github.com/tuxuser/OzmosisBIOS, unzipped the file and put the Z77*H3C.1479.ROM file on the untitled usb drive.  I rebooted it and pressed the "end" key after hearing the beep and it started the flash update program.  I selected the usb drive, then the option to save the current bios to the drive just to test the drive.  Then loaded the new rom and it took about 30 seconds, another 10 to verify it and it rebooted ok.  After it came backup to osx, I shut it down removed the power and flushed the remaining power by pressing the start button.  Plugged it back in and powered it back up just for a quick test and it came back up to osx.

I initiated the upgrade to El Cap and it rebooted into the upgrade mode.  The progress bar started and then it went into an all white screen with a little spinning beach ball (spinning wheel of death) would show up upper left corner and nothing else would happen after 90 minutes.  I rebooted and it started the upgrade process all over again.  I couldn't get it out of this loop after 2 more reboots.

I shut it down, removed the 1T ssd and put the original 120G back in and powered it up.  It would only boot into efi shell.  I then downgraded the bios back to H3B and it booted right up.

I'm now back on H3C again with no issues running on Mavericks.

I started reading up on the upgrade process and it looks like there are a few things that need to be addressed.  Looking at other threads on the successes and failures of El Cap.  I'll have to go with Yosemite for now, that should work just fine from what I've read.

Hope you get your bios issue resolved.

Hey so I was trying to update it to H2N.OZ1669M which i believe was the latest one.  I read something online that recommended Z77MXQUOAOS.H3C.1669M.ROM and i was uncertain if i should be using that one instead.  But anyway i went ahead and flashed it with H2N.OZ1669M formatting it to MS-DOS like McEremophilous said and that worked.  Unfortunately it didn't boot back up into OSX it booted up into a "DEVICE MAPPING TABLE" with lists of all my harddrives and in brackets <SHELL>.  I hope this doesn't mean that I got the wrong BIOS and bricked my motherboard.  I put El Capitan on a thumb drive and I can see it on the list but I don't know the command to make it boot of the install file.  Do you guys know what I should do? 

HAHA! I think I  figured it out.  I held delete at restart went  into the BIOS and directed it to boot first off of my main harddrive.  When it booted up again it prompted me to install OSX.  So I told it to go ahead and install it and it is doing so. Thanks for your help guys hopefully this works ok. 

Hey that's great, hope your install went well.  I tried the 1669M and then the install.  I  used the El Cap usb drive from the apple method:  /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeractionsb   <== installer method with no mods.  It went to a black screen of death.  I ended up doing the bios dance again to get back to a baseline.   Oh well it will be about another week before I can revisit this. 

• 5 months later...

Oh well I would have taken it as praise for the long standing, stable code.  Ha!  

But seriously, I obviously have a lot of reading to do around here.  I'll get there.

Hi, i just purchased a pc with a Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard.

Did you installed "el capitan" using H3C.1479, or H2N.OZ1669 BIOS? am not sure of using 167xmass Bios because it isnt in the official wiki.

Did you made a vanilla installation?

- The seller Just told me to flash the lastest custom bios and try a vanilla install - For el capitan

Excuse my english :D