replace 10.11 AMD graphics kexts with 10.10?

chiefsalami

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a non-supported graphics card (FirePro W7100, Tonga architecture) that I have made work pretty well in 10.10 Yosemite by using Clover (modified deviceID definition in the source code) and adding the device ID to AMD9000Controller / AMDRadeonX4000 kexts. Seems like it is using the default RadeonFramebuffer kext personality, so all ports and resolutions work fine without any tweaking.

However, making the same edits in 10.11 do not work. If I add device ID to BOTH kexts, it will not load the desktop. Freezes at boot just prior to going to desktop. If I add it only to AMD9000Controller.kext, I can get into the desktop, but performance is very poor. Artifacts, black areas on screen, very slow refresh rate, etc. If I replace the 10.11 kexts with the ones from 10.10, it results in the same situation as editing both kexts - cannot reach the desktop. If I just replace the Info.plist files, same thing.

What would it take to be able to use the 10.10 kexts in 10.11? I am able to get everything else working in El Capitan except for the graphics. Anyone have a guide for doing something like this? Generally, I have not had a problem in the past by using kexts from an older OS version, but I have never done it for graphics kexts before.