Clover and multiple EFI Partitions?

mklein49

8 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I'm attempting to properly configure a UEFI dual boot system (Windows 10 and El Capitan).  My desire was to have a one disk dedicated to Windows 10 and another for El Capitan.  I currently have that setup. I did clean installs for each OS to their respective disk.  As a result, I have the windows created EFI partition on disk 0 and OS X EFI partition on disk 1.  I have the windows os loader installed into the EFI partition on disk 0 and Clover onto disk 1.  I can boot either OS by selecting the appropriate partition from my boot menu in my UEFI boot menu.  

I'm left with two problems, however.  I'm not able to boot the Windows 10 OS from Clover and I'm getting extra EFI entries into my UEFI firmware.

I'm thinking the correct approach is to consolidate EFI partitions and install the windows loader and clover loader side by side.  I would like disk0 (Windows Disk) to contain the "active' EFI Partition.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a setup which would allow me to have multiple EFI partitions and not have the extra EFI entry added to my UEFI firmware?
  2. If not, should I drop down to a single EFI partition?
  3. Can I install Clover to the Windows created EFI Partition and have each loader coexist happily?

Partition setup:

/dev/disk0 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk0s1
   2:                        EFI NO NAME                 104.9 MB   disk0s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk0s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data                         255.5 GB   disk0s4
/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OSX Installed           119.2 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by mklein49

3. Clover has always defaulted to installing into the first EFI partition in the system it finds or at least that is what it has done here. Copy/move the clover directory from the second to the first and it should work, move if you want only the one entry. The solution to 1. is not to have multiple copies of the boot loaders in multiple EFI partitions. For the windows not showing look into your clover config.plist and make sure there is no ignore finding the windows .efi boot loader forget how it is named at the moment but it is in there.

3. Clover has always defaulted to installing into the first EFI partition in the system it finds or at least that is what it has done here. Copy/move the clover directory from the second to the first and it should work, move if you want only the one entry. The solution to 1. is not to have multiple copies of the boot loaders in multiple EFI partitions. For the windows not showing look into your clover config.plist and make sure there is no ignore finding the windows .efi boot loader forget how it is named at the moment but it is in there.

Ok, I was curious if it was as simple as copying the files from one of the partitions.  I'll try coping the clover files to the Windows created EFI partition.

I ended up copying the Clover files to the disk0s2 partition (windows created EFI partition).  This seems to be working.  I'm able to booth either Clover or Windows from the UEFI boot manager.  In addition, I can boot Windows and El Capitian both from Clover.  I still have the EFI partition on disk1s1, so I don't know if that's coming into play at all without my knowledge.  My next step is to remove all files from that partition and see if everything still boots.

I ended up copying the Clover files to the disk0s2 partition (windows created EFI partition).  This seems to be working.  I'm able to booth either Clover or Windows from the UEFI boot manager.  In addition, I can boot Windows and El Capitian both from Clover.  I still have the EFI partition on disk1s1, so I don't know if that's coming into play at all without my knowledge.  My next step is to remove all files from that partition and see if everything still boots.

Should as I said clover does not even bother with a second drive it just looks for the first in the system it finds, if you have DPCIManager installed you can  look at the boot messages to confirm what clover is doing/where it is finding the files used bdmesg should do it as well.

Should as I said clover does not even bother with a second drive it just looks for the first in the system it finds, if you have DPCIManager installed you can  look at the boot messages to confirm what clover is doing/where it is finding the files used bdmesg should do it as well.

Ah, I see.  I'll take a look at the boot messages if nothing else just for my own better understanding of the boot process.  Thanks for the all the help!