Anyone managed to successfully run R9 290/R9 390 on 10.10.5?

djseban

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Last times I was struggling to get my R9 390 (Asus StriX) to work on 10.10.5, since it works fine on El Capitan, but it fails to wake up from sleep. I am using Clover Bootloader with following options:

Radeon FakeID: 0x67b01002

FBName: tried Baladi and Radeon

VideoPorts: tried 4/5/6.

SLE is practically Vanilla (not counting AMD8000Controller.kext FB patch). Power Management fully working with CPU SSDT injection (ssdtPRGen.sh by PikerAlpha). Kexts injected by Clover are:

- newest HWSensors with FakeSMC,

- RealtekRTL8111.kext,

- VoodooTSCSync.kext (due to TSC sync problems after wake with my MB; the system wakes).

Things I tried:

- all ports (3xDP, HDMI and DVI; 5 ports),

- injection of ID, and as expected, the driver loads normal "Radeon" framebuffer,

- patching Baladi framebuffer with hex editor to match my GPU ports + injecting Baladi framebuffer with Clover.

With stock framebuffers it only loads on HDMI, DVI and one DisplayPort, on others I get a blackscreen (but it lights up black). With patched Baladi, the display is working on all ports. The problem is in all cases the screen is flickering and glitching when any effect, e.g. moving a Safari window, is executed. If I move a window too instantly for a specified amount of time the display just shuts off, but it's still lighted up black. I just want to know if anyone had similiar issues with Hawaii cards, and if anyone managed to get it working properly?

My best

Thanks man, but I tried it all already, and it doesn't solve the problem.

@edit: I updated HWSensors (FakeSMC GPU/CPU/ACPI/LPCSensors.kext). Also I installed HWMonitor, and guess what. Flickering does still occur, but when I run HWMonitor it suddenly stops. Screen does not flicker until next reboot or sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just attempted installing 10.10.5 with an r9 390 yesterday and expierenced the same exact issue you are describing.

When I inject ATI with the fake id set to an 390x and patched Baladi, I also get that flickering followed by the graphics card shut down. I've noticed that when the screen goes black the fans on the card stop spinning.

This is my first time trying to get an amd card to work and I am kicking myself for not getting the 390x since it seems to be more compatible. May I ask what HWMonitor is and is what you described above a reliable fix?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just attempted installing 10.10.5 with an r9 390 yesterday and expierenced the same exact issue you are describing.

When I inject ATI with the fake id set to an 390x and patched Baladi, I also get that flickering followed by the graphics card shut down. I've noticed that when the screen goes black the fans on the card stop spinning.

This is my first time trying to get an amd card to work and I am kicking myself for not getting the 390x since it seems to be more compatible. May I ask what HWMonitor is and is what you described above a reliable fix?

Thanks!

By all means HWMonitor isn't reliable fix, since you have to run that app every time you boot your computer or wake it from sleep. But if you want you can download it from here: http://www.hwsensors.com/releases

The flickering is due to dpm adjusting the mclk. Easy fix is to set PP_MclkActivityTarget to 0 in AMD8000Controller.kext, although it does make the card run a bit hotter & consume more power. This applies for El Capitan too.

I've got dual R9 290 setup and no problems with multiple displays on the same/different card(s). I'm not using any predefined framebuffer, instead I'm letting the os x driver to read the phy mappings from the atom bios. The only thing that doesn't work is dp audio.

• Like 3

The flickering is due to dpm adjusting the mclk. Easy fix is to set PP_MclkActivityTarget to 0 in AMD8000Controller.kext, although it does make the card run a bit hotter & consume more power. This applies for El Capitan too.

I've got dual R9 290 setup and no problems with multiple displays on the same/different card(s). I'm not using any predefined framebuffer, instead I'm letting the os x driver to read the phy mappings from the atom bios. The only thing that doesn't work is dp audio.

Thanks man! Changing PP_MclkActivityTarget to 0 totally worked for screen flickers on El Capitan (normally I had to plug 2 monitors to get rid of these flickers). I don't know how it would work on Yosemite, but I guess the effect would be the same.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks man! Changing PP_MclkActivityTarget to 0 totally worked for screen flickers on El Capitan (normally I had to plug 2 monitors to get rid of these flickers). I don't know how it would work on Yosemite, but I guess the effect would be the same.

djseban or okrasit -

Would you mind briefly explaining how to modify the AMD8000Controller kext? I've looked into the info.plist, but don't see a PP_MclkActivityTarget parameter to change. Thanks!

• 7 months later...