NVMe driver for all Macs & Hacks from JimJ740 available at MacVidCards

rominator

74 posts in this topic

I sleep my system every day with no KP. Rebooting / shutdown causes no KP.

Friend, you are not of help to the community, I asked if you made some changes to the system if you have a new Revison of kext, we need more information, if you do not mind ... thank you ... here everyone has problems on 11.4 and are unique in the world that you do not have problems ..the thing is very strange

I'm using the NVMe driver in 10.11.4 to boot Mac OS X on a Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7. I have sleep disabled so I don't know if that would cause a kernel panic. It does KP during shutdown (only 50% of the time), but I don't mind that too much since the system is mostly shutdown at that point. I have the built in serial port connected to another Mac to observe the kprintf and IOLog messages during shutdown. I've reported the contents of the output (with and without KP) at 

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nvme-for-mac-pro-5-1.1919972/page-9#post-22866241

which I believe is the thread containing the original announcement of the driver.

let it be, do not waste time, the developer has left the development, does not respond to the topic for a long time, and not respnde even private messages, the kext has a bug riguard to 11.4, 11.3, and only works on Yosemite

0 0xffffff7f833bf000 0xd000     0xd000     com.MinnowStor.NVMeGeneric (1) 27312503-CF2F-3E2B-8D8D-6E79177410C9 <16 12 5 4 3 1>

No Dsdt

NMVE driver in ESP

What other things do you want? my config.plist?

0 0xffffff7f833bf000 0xd000     0xd000     com.MinnowStor.NVMeGeneric (1) 27312503-CF2F-3E2B-8D8D-6E79177410C9 <16 12 5 4 3 1>
You have slot pcie adapter?

:rolleyes:

Haha! I switched the 950 Pro to a PCIe adapter and it booted up in 10.11.4!

• 3 weeks later...

Same behavior here on Asus X99 Deluxe since 10.11.4 with Samsung 950 PRO 512Gb. I also tried with 10.11.5 and on several motherboards (Z9PED8 WS and X99-E-WS) with and without Asus PCIe board adapter.

The OS boots up but if I try to browse the M2 content I get an instant reboot (kernel panic related witch backtrace to NVMeGeneric.kext).

It's a shame JimJ740 does not answer or release the sources from his driver. It's conter-productive : he made a poison gift that lead to this point where no one want to put together a proper open-source driver for mac as the work has already been done.

Anyway if anyone needs some testers you can just PM me and I will be glad to help the best I can.

hi all,

I'm also stucked on 10.11.5, Asrock x99m Extreme4 with Samsung SM951 256GB NVME Version (MZVPV256HDGL), not the AHCI Version. 

Native AppleNVMe Kext does not find the ssd, GenericsNVMe shows it as external. Haven't tried to boot from it yet.

Can we team up to add NVME Support for different ssds within the applenvme Kext? It must be possible to patch the kext within clover on boot up as we are doing it with applehda etc.?

hi all,

I'm also stucked on 10.11.5, Asrock x99m Extreme4 with Samsung SM951 256GB NVME Version (MZVPV256HDGL), not the AHCI Version. 

Native AppleNVMe Kext does not find the ssd, GenericsNVMe shows it as external. Haven't tried to boot from it yet.

Can we team up to add NVME Support for different ssds within the applenvme Kext? It must be possible to patch the kext within clover on boot up as we are doing it with applehda etc.?

for now not possible 

• 4 weeks later...

yes here too!

i needed to ad a ssdt patch for internal/external pin request.

Asrock x99m Extreme4,

AppleIIGuy, can you  maybe help me with some other major problems I have with my board? Sleep/Hibernation, USB.

• 1 month later...

Please explain. WHAT works? I am still using the driver from Macvidcards and while it runs fairly stable to boot and run on 10.11.5 (now even .6), I get kernel panics on every reboot or shutdown. Is there someone who knowns a fix for that?

Update: I think it related to the linked article (https://pikeralpha.w...bin-patch-data/). In fact, it now appears to me that latest Clover version does support NVMe right out of the box. Meaning I don't need the NVMeGeneric.kext driver any more. And now the drive appears in the System Profiler under NVMe, which it did not do before.

Still getting kernel panics at reboot, though.

Please explain. WHAT works? I am still using the driver from Macvidcards and while it runs fairly stable to boot and run on 10.11.5 (now even .6), I get kernel panics on every reboot or shutdown. Is there someone who knowns a fix for that?

See you pike solution or rehabman

sorry but you were not the first in the world that everything worked?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok. Everyone. I have done all the research I could find out the topic of using a Samsung 950 Pro in a 2008-2012 cMP Mac Pro. Long story short. I got the NVME driver available from macvidcards to work. It's a Christmas miracle! I am not a hacker or a high-end programmer. But I was able to do some trial and error and here is how I got the driver to work with 10.11.6.

I was able to work around the issue of the "illegal user name" that is unable to be changed by using terminal, disabling SIP or changing it from the the finder using "Command I"

I was however able to use "Batchmod" to change the permissions and by installing the NVME driver in system/library/extensions.

I am so excited that I don't have to return my Samsung 950 Pro NVME card! 

I tried everything on my production 2009 Mac pro but then got a little scared and have been testing everything on a 2008 Mac Pro for now.

Additionally, I am using the Angelbird Wings PX1 pci-e card with the Samsung 950 Pro and have the Angelbird SSD Manager installed also. But I believe that the Lycom DT120 and DT125 work exactly like the Angelbird.

Detailed Instructions: 

1) Download Batchmod from https://www.lagentesoft.com/batchmod/(give this guy some money for his hard work. It's a great app I've used for a long time)
2) download the NVME driver from: http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver.html
3) Drag the "NVMeGeneric.kext" driver to system/library/extensions (not the Library/Extensions where you are told to put it)
4) Open BatchMod Application (you will need to enable "allow applications from anywhere" in Security & Privacy System Preference)
4) drag the kext file onto the open Batchmod window
6) Set Owner to root and make sure that the RWX are all checked with the checkbox (not the dash). Then set Group to "wheel" and make sure that "R" is the only thing checked. For the "Everyone" make sure it is set to none - no access.

Restart your mac and if you have a pci-e card with the Samsung 950 Pro (or potentially a different NVME SSD) installed you should immediately get the "initialized disk" box that pops up immediately  upon login! That's it. I have started and restarted a couple of times to ensure that it was not a fluke and it is repeatable.

I have just downloaded a large 6 GB file to it and am installing stuff onto it, from it, deleting it, restoring the mac, etc.

I have not done extensive testing. I just wanted to share my findings first. 

I hope this works for you all. Please pass this along to the other forums.

I have been told that the AHCI version of these SSDs do not have these types of problems and are bootable - unlike the NVME version which can only be used for data - which is fine for me as I wish to use this in a video-editing capacity.

Good luck everyone and let me know how it goes for you!

• 3 years later...