X99-UD4 Random Reboot (El Capitan 10.11.2)

Synthology

12 posts in this topic

Greetings All,

I have seen a few random reboots since Yosemite on this particular machine.  However, I have seen far too many reboots after El Capitan 10.11.1 update, and even more after 10.11.2.

I managed to get it running.  It actually runs rather smooth.  But I am getting far too many random reboots at any given time after updating.  I'm lucky I got past this posting before rebooting on its own.

As usual, I updated to the latest Nvidia Webdriver after updating.  Contrary to what most people say, my setup along with the eVGA GT 740 FTW requires the webdriver or it won't boot.

Sometimes it reboots while browsing online (Any browser).  More than likely while watching YouTube videos.  It can go from minutes to hours before randomly rebooting, but it depends on the usage.  I have tried different SMBIOS to no avail.  It seems like booting without caches helps, but not always (that's how I got this far to post).  I also added RampageDev's X99 SSDT file for my motherboard (X99-UD4).

I recently updated the BIOS to F12.  It made no difference.  I can't seem to find anyone else with this particular problem, and if there is, they seemed to have left the issue unresolved.

If anyone has any info on this issue, please advise.

My setup is in my sig below.

Thanks in advance.

Prof. Synthology

Greetings All,

I have seen a few random reboots since Yosemite on this particular machine. However, I have seen far too many reboots after El Capitan 10.11.1 update, and even more after 10.11.2.

I managed to get it running. It actually runs rather smooth. But I am getting far too many random reboots at any given time after updating. I'm lucky I got past this posting before rebooting on its own.

As usual, I updated to the latest Nvidia Webdriver after updating. Contrary to what most people say, my setup along with the eVGA GT 740 FTW requires the webdriver or it won't boot.

Sometimes it reboots while browsing online (Any browser). More than likely while watching YouTube videos. It can go from minutes to hours before randomly rebooting, but it depends on the usage. I have tried different SMBIOS to no avail. It seems like booting without caches helps, but not always (that's how I got this far to post). I also added RampageDev's X99 SSDT file for my motherboard (X99-UD4).

I recently updated the BIOS to F12. It made no difference. I can't seem to find anyone else with this particular problem, and if there is, they seemed to have left the issue unresolved.

Thanks in advance.

Prof. Synthology

Hey ive been having the same problem. Running an i7 5820k on the x99 ud4 with clover. Using yosemite 10.10.5. i had it running perfectly with no reboots up until recently, when i reformatted it. I reformatted because i had some weird issues using pro tools 11 so i decided to reinstall osx. Once i did pro tools was fixed, but now i have the random reboots too. I am also using the rampagedev x99dmg. They have gone away since i changed my smbios to a mac pro 5.1 Using clover configurators smbios wizard. I havent had a reboot since, but i have only used it lightly. Other than that the only other things i changed is i used a newer version of clover and never installed the audio kext. I use a usb device for audio, before i had the audio kext installed though, mayne that has something to do with the reboots?

Greetings All,

I have seen a few random reboots since Yosemite on this particular machine. However, I have seen far too many reboots after El Capitan 10.11.1 update, and even more after 10.11.2.

I managed to get it running. It actually runs rather smooth. But I am getting far too many random reboots at any given time after updating. I'm lucky I got past this posting before rebooting on its own.

As usual, I updated to the latest Nvidia Webdriver after updating. Contrary to what most people say, my setup along with the eVGA GT 740 FTW requires the webdriver or it won't boot.

Sometimes it reboots while browsing online (Any browser). More than likely while watching YouTube videos. It can go from minutes to hours before randomly rebooting, but it depends on the usage. I have tried different SMBIOS to no avail. It seems like booting without caches helps, but not always (that's how I got this far to post). I also added RampageDev's X99 SSDT file for my motherboard (X99-UD4).

I recently updated the BIOS to F12. It made no difference. I can't seem to find anyone else with this particular problem, and if there is, they seemed to have left the issue unresolved.

Thanks in advance.

Prof. Synthology

Hey ive been having the same problem. Running an i7 5820k on the x99 ud4 with clover. Using yosemite 10.10.5. i had it running perfectly with no reboots up until recently, when i reformatted it. I reformatted because i had some weird issues using pro tools 11 so i decided to reinstall osx. Once i did pro tools was fixed, but now i have the random reboots too. I am also using the rampagedev x99dmg. They have gone away since i changed my smbios to a mac pro 5.1 Using clover configurators smbios wizard. I havent had a reboot since, but i have only used it lightly. Other than that the only other things i changed is i used a newer version of clover and never installed the audio kext. I use a usb device for audio, before i had the audio kext installed though, maybe that has something to do with the reboots?

• 3 weeks later...

Has there been any progress regarding this issue? I am running into the exact same issue.

I am using a 5930k with an Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming on the GA-X99-UD4

not so far. I can't figure out how to get el capitan installed on my computer. 10.10.5 is running smoothly but it does reboot from time to time when watching youtube videos. Even after changing smbios many times, installing audio kext etc. It rebooted today. I just changed my smbios to 14.1 imac lets hope it doesn't reboot anymore but it might. Also I have found out you do not need to patch the kernel in OSX after 10.10.2 so my system is running without a patched kernel. This is not making a difference in whether it reboots or not, but I think it's better to not patch it. Does not seem to effect performance either way, whether the kernel is patched or not. If anyone can explain how they installed el capitan and if it is working well let me know too. Would really like to figure out the reboot issue. I'm sure all the problems will be figured out soon as there's a lot of people with the x99 ud4 and the 5820k. 

Try this patch to DSDT

#  Shutdown fix

into method label _PTS code_regex_not If\s\(LEqual\s\(Arg0,\s0x05\)\) code_regex ^((?:.|\n)*)$ replace_matched
begin
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}\n
    Else\n
    {\n
%1
    }\n
end;

Try this patch to DSDT

#  Shutdown fix

into method label _PTS code_regex_not If\s\(LEqual\s\(Arg0,\s0x05\)\) code_regex ^((?:.|\n)*)$ replace_matched
begin
    Else\n
    {\n
%1
    }\n
end;

Why would this address random reboots? Not saying it won't--just curious to understand the rational or coding basis.

I have seen several random reboots on my ASUS X99 Deluxe running a 12-core Xeon. I am actually getting that in 10.10.5 and 10.11.2 if I start using xcpm. 

I don't have any problems if I use AICPUPM or null.

• 1 month later...

Try this patch to DSDT

#  Shutdown fix

begin
    Else\n
    {\n
%1
    }\n
end;

Could you elaborate on how to add this patch? I am not using a dsdt as of now. I managed to get an dsdt.aml by pressing F4 and I can also view it in MaciASL how ever I don't know where to place those lines.

In addition I've been kinda able to provoke this unwanted behaviour. When I logged into El Capitan and opened the VLC player as the very first action with an mp4 video my system would reboot after a couple of seconds. Also the system appears to shutdown somewhat gracefully since the fans go up in speed and it takes a couple of seconds before the computer actually turns black and initiates a new boot process.

Also I am pretty sure that this is not caused by my power supply (corsair ax760i) since i tried an alternate PSU and the bug still occurred. Also smbios set to either macpro3,1 macpro6,1 or imac14,2 does not fix this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this issue fixed. Using clover and 10.11.2 i have 0 reboots. Not sure why but it used to reboot on 10.10.5 whether I used clover or chameleon. Using clover in 10.11.2 i have 0 reboots and have been using it for about 2 months.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings,

It seems as though each update randomly fixes or further breaks the reboots.  I installed the latest Clover (r3411), however the reboots are totally random.  Sometimes it reboots after only 5 min, and other times after 30 min.  Very strange.  It might be the video card (GT740 FTW)  but I have seen a stable boot without caches before.  Lasted weeks without incident.  Perhaps its the CPU.  I even disabled SIP, but it seems to make little difference.  I managed to finish this message, with standard boot (caches included).  I'll keep looking closer for a definitive fix.

Cheers,

Prof.  Synthology

Try this patch to DSDT

#  Shutdown fix

begin
    Else\n
    {\n
%1
    }\n
end;

Greetings,

It seems as though each update randomly fixes or further breaks the reboots.  I installed the latest Clover (r3411), however the reboots are totally random.  Sometimes it reboots after only 5 min, and other times after 30 min.  Very strange.  It might be the video card (GT740 FTW)  but I have seen a stable boot without caches before.  Lasted weeks without incident.  Perhaps its the CPU.  I even disabled SIP, but it seems to make little difference.  I managed to finish this message, with standard boot (caches included).  I'll keep looking closer for a definitive fix.

Cheers,

Prof.  Synthology

This shutdown fix is wrong,which cause shutdown fail,reboot instead.this patch is the right patch: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/223205-dsdt-editor-and-patcher/?p=1931410

I get the random reboot and boot fail on El Capitan,recently I got WD 1TB disappear randomly.Now I replace my EVGA GT 740 SC 2GB and WD Caviar Black 1TB With use INNO3D GEFORCE GTX 260 GOLD and SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP 128G,now I don't experience random reboot for a day,I will report if this fix my problem if possible.Thanks