Ethernet randomly stops working

pathosmusic

21 posts in this topic

Since my other post was vague and stopped getting responses, I will start threads based on each issue to see if that helps.

So since I installed Yosemite and ran Vietnam with the Chameleon bootloader, almost everything is working except audio (i ordered a usb audio interface to get around this for now), and the biggest mystery for me is the Ethernet.

Upon installation I selected the appropriate AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam but my ethernet didn't work. I repaired permissions and kext cache using kext utility and then re-installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam. Restarted and internet worked.

Shutdown my machine for the night and came back the next day to another issue with screens and desktops, and ethernet mysteriously stopped working again. I didn't think much of it and figured with all my tinkering with Model Identifiers and screen options I must have somehow messed up the Ethernet.

- I repaired permissions and kext cache using kext utility and then re-installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam. Restarted and internet worked again.

I kept my computer on for a while, Restarted a bunch of times and never had a problem.

Turned off my computer again for the night, came back this morning to NO ETHERNET again. The kext is still in the S/L/E folder but nothing shows up under DPCI manager for ethernet.

What could be happening here? Any info I can provide that will be helpful, lmk.

Thanks

Edit: I just restarted my computer while typing this and now ethernet is working again. I didn't repair or install anything, just simply restarted. Something must be happening on a shutdown overnight.

Double Edit: I just confirmed this behavior by shutting down and waiting 2 minutes. Powered back up and had no ethernet. Restarted from that point and ethernet works.

Since my other post was vague and stopped getting responses, I will start threads based on each issue to see if that helps.

So since I installed Yosemite and ran Vietnam with the Chameleon bootloader, almost everything is working except audio (i ordered a usb audio interface to get around this for now), and the biggest mystery for me is the Ethernet.

Upon installation I selected the appropriate AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam but my ethernet didn't work. I repaired permissions and kext cache using kext utility and then re-installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam. Restarted and internet worked.

Shutdown my machine for the night and came back the next day to another issue with screens and desktops, and ethernet mysteriously stopped working again. I didn't think much of it and figured with all my tinkering with Model Identifiers and screen options I must have somehow messed up the Ethernet.

- I repaired permissions and kext cache using kext utility and then re-installed the AppleIntelE1000e kext from Vietnam. Restarted and internet worked again.

I kept my computer on for a while, Restarted a bunch of times and never had a problem.

Turned off my computer again for the night, came back this morning to NO ETHERNET again. The kext is still in the S/L/E folder but nothing shows up under DPCI manager for ethernet.

What could be happening here? Any info I can provide that will be helpful, lmk.

Thanks

Edit: I just restarted my computer while typing this and now ethernet is working again. I didn't repair or install anything, just simply restarted. Something must be happening on a shutdown overnight.

Double Edit: I just confirmed this behavior by shutting down and waiting 2 minutes. Powered back up and had no ethernet. Restarted from that point and ethernet works.

Try this kext,work well :thumbsup_anim: and delete from S/L/E..AppleIntelE1000e kext.... :drool:

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

I tried the kext but ethernet does not work at all this way. It only works if i put back old IONetworkingFamily.kext and AppleIntelE1000e.

Still dont know what is causing this to happen. Restart seems to work ok, but shutdown doesnt, and even the system doesnt seem like its shutting down correctly.

Talking to myself here.

I have tried multiple kexts, boot options in chameleon.boot.plist, bios settings, computer network settings... nothing is helping this issue.

A fresh Startup results in no ethernet working (the device isn't being loaded).

A Restart will fix the issue and ethernet works and device is recognized.

Shutdown will then break this again upon next fresh Startup.

Talking to myself here.

I have tried multiple kexts, boot options in chameleon.boot.plist, bios settings, computer network settings... nothing is helping this issue.

A fresh Startup results in no ethernet working (the device isn't being loaded).

A Restart will fix the issue and ethernet works and device is recognized.

Shutdown will then break this again upon next fresh Startup.

AppleIntelE1000e kext need to be inside-IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins...not in S/L/E

try this :hysterical:

I have tried injecting via DSDT, and it is still working in the same behavior. It seems that there is a different order of events being loaded on a Restart vs a shutdown/reboot. I have attached 2 console log files and my IOReg screenshot, hopefully someone can help me. I am about to go insane, been up for almost 2 weeks til 3 am trying to get this to work.

post-1630401-0-67009500-1449816960_thumb.jpg

Shutdown Log.rtf

Restart Log.rtf

I have tried injecting via DSDT, and it is still working in the same behavior. It seems that there is a different order of events being loaded on a Restart vs a shutdown/reboot. I have attached 2 console log files and my IOReg screenshot, hopefully someone can help me. I am about to go insane, been up for almost 2 weeks til 3 am trying to get this to work.

post your DSDT..... editet for Ethernet :hysterical:

Here you go. I hope I did it right, I really don't understand the DSDT language too well.

Thanks for help!  :thumbsup_anim:

sunday im free to get teamviewer for you :drool:..my Cypriot friend :hysterical:

You can try IntelMausiEthernet as an alternative. If it still doesn't work, use the debug version and send your kernel logs to Mieze, along with a description of the problem.

I'm going to jump in here since Pathos and I have the same build minus the graphics card. (we build ours together back in the day).

We have both tried AppleIntelE1000e.kext and IntelMausiEthernet.kext. Both work the same way. We have nothing on start up, but on restart internet works as it should.

I don't believe the kexts are the issue, but rather a DSDT issue with the kernel, BIOS, or ME.

We can rule BIOS out since our BIOS has hardly ANY features in it, and even updating to the newest BIOS didn't change a thing.

Thank you!

It's probably ME then, you might want to see if it's possible to get updated ME FW for your board.

Hey sorry to sound so noobish about this, i just never had to deal with it on my 10.6.8 build (which i might add still runs PERFECT) ugh this is frustrating.

What exactly is ME and how can I fix it? I tried all sorts of clover stuff tonight for the past few hours but nothing seems to affect the ethernet showing up on boot, only a restart.

Using this on my Windows 7 drive - http://www.win-raid.com/t840f39-ME-Analyzer-Intel-Engine-Firmware-Analysis-Tool.html

I am going to try to and see what version of ME we are currently using and if it can be updated.

Being as though we have just about exhausted all other possibilities, this may be where the issue is.

Thank you,

Well I have officially thrown in the towel. 

I am fairly certain the issue lies within the ME. 

I logged into my Windows 7 drive and found that we have an ME of 6.0.X, which is interesting being as though the official EVGA website recommends the 6.1 ME for our board, but it's not compatible with P55, but rather H55 EVGA boards (I still tried installing it but my computer was smart enough to stop me).

I tried the FWUpdLcl command with an updated and edited 6.0.X ME, but after hours of trying different things I couldn't get it to work.

I read somewhere that on top of not having a "secret" bios like similar Gigabyte boards, The ME can't be updated.

After banging my head against the wall a few times, I caved and spent $20 on a natively supported Rosewill RC-401-EX PCIe Network card.

Although I was interested in solving this brain teaser, I've thrown in the towel.