SUCCESS - 10.10.5 on HP ProBook 6550b - Guide to follow

themacmeister

9 posts in this topic

WOW, I never thought I would see this day. Luckily I began testing well before the WIFI card arrived (BCM943224HMS) So I knew I had partial success up to that point (Sound and Video working).

I used a very convoluted method using a myHack Mavericks 10.9.5 USB stick, and an Enoch bootloader 10.10.5 USB stick.

I probably could have just used the 10.10.5 stick, but I kept forgetting boot flags, so reverted to 10.9.5 which needed less.

IMPORTANT: I cannot boot with AppleHPET.kext installed, this was the main reason for needing to boot with 10.9.5 to move that file, and also remove graphics kexts for IntelHD. I then replaced with default replacements for 1st Gen Intel HD Graphics (Google it!) and my boot flags look like the following:

ForceHPET=Yes npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes rootless=0 dart=0

WIFI card that was installed was on HP whitelist, and using MacBookAir5,2 SMBIOS (MacBookPro doesn't work) I got working WIFI OOTB !!!

Installed MausiEthernet for Ethernet (untested, but shows up in connections)

Patched IDT AppleHDA for 10.10.4 (by TheKing from memory) - working sound and microphone.

Keyboard/Trackpad working with VoodooPS2 (latest)

Unfortunately, all my attempts at getting a decent DSDT file extracted have failed...

This has only been working for a few hours, and no software is installed yet - give me some time and I will create a proper guide with links etc.

GenerateCStates/Pstates working

Fan working

Full QE/CI video working

App Store working

Webcam working (at 1/2 resolution)

Internal Speakers working

Webcam Microphone working (a bit quiet).

Everything else will be tested tonight!

:D  :D  :D

Just discovered that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is killing my laptop. Might try removing it and reinstating AppleHPET ("no hpet in appleintelcpupm" message shows up without NullCPUPM+AppleHPET).

I am generating my own C states and P States, so shouldn't need AICPM kext anyway. I would love to be able to get rid of NullCPUPM kext and possibly get sleep working!

More news as it happens.

Sorry for the late reply. 1st gen Core i5 560m (2.66->3.2GHz dual core/4 threads) 8GB RAM (upgraded by me), Broadcom BCM943224HMS WiFi (upgraded by me), 1st Gen IronLake Intel HD Graphics (288MB), 1366x768 anti-glare LCD screen, 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x eSATA/USB2.0, DisplayPort/VGA out, SD-Card reader, DVD-Burner, Firewire 400, com port (YUP, olde style serial port!).

Currently working - Everything except sleep and ACPI screen brightness. I have patched DSDT and now have slider in Displays prefpane, but main patch failed, so no change in brightness :-(

Now have battery status working :-)

Still do not have AICPM installed, due to "No HPETs found" errors  !!!  dang!!!

NOTE: have not tested either video-out port...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Computer is only let down by graphics speed. Disable hardware acceleration in Chrome for a big speed boost (in settings/advanced).

Also, remember not to close the lid and put it to sleep...  it does not sleep, and you will be stuck with a black screen and only one option (forced restart).

• 5 months later...

Computer is only let down by graphics speed. Disable hardware acceleration in Chrome for a big speed boost (in settings/advanced).

Also, remember not to close the lid and put it to sleep...  it does not sleep, and you will be stuck with a black screen and only one option (forced restart).

Wanted to ask if you can provide your DSDT. I have a Probook 6550b on which I have 10.11.5 installed. However I'm having trouble getting some peripherals to work.

I'm experiencing same issues (sleep blanks screen, and never really sleeps and I have to power cycle, brightness slider does not actually change brightness). Were you able to make progress and also do you have SD card working?

PS - I have DW 1520 wifi card which has same broadcom chip but HP BIOS will not recognize. Not sure if I need BIOS update or if you can send URL to correct wifi card?

Really appreciate any help.

• 7 months later...

Sorry for late reply Griff, I no longer have the laptop, I have Mid-2012 15" Retina MBP now (maxed out).

RehabMan's GitHub site has wonderful laptop DSDT patches etc.

I got an HP-Branded BCM943224HMS from eBay... make sure it is HP BRANDED!!!

... using it RIGHT NOW in my desktop Hackintosh via PCIe adaptor :-)