Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra or Mojave in VirtualBox 5.x.x on a Windows Host

fusion71au

120 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Those having problems with the install hanging after DSMOS has arrived can try resetting/changing their vbox configuration:

To reset/remove a CPUID from your configuration:

1.  Shutdown all VirtualBox windows and the VirtualBox Program.

2.  Edit the <vmname>.vbox file (located in C:\Users\[username]\Virtualbox VMs\<vmname>\ folder) with WordPad and remove the lines that read like

<CpuIdTree>
          <CpuIdLeaf id="1" eax="67301" ebx="1050624" ecx="10019837" edx="3219913727"/>
        </CpuIdTree>

Spoofing alternative Mac Models/SMBIOSes using VBoxManage.exe

1.  Shutdown all VirtualBox windows and the VirtualBox Program.

2.  Reset your DmiSystemProduct to null...

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" ""

3.  Enter a different DmiSystemProduct eg spoofing a Macmini6,2 works with El Capitan running in VirtualBox on my laptop XPS M1530. 

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Macmini6,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

4.  You may or may not need to change the CPUID presented to your virtual machine (for my system, I did not need to enter a CPUID:  Try without the CPUID line, then with the line if there is a problem - see @clauden's post#21 above for some alternative CPUIDs).

post-846696-0-25326500-1457866269_thumb.png

post-846696-0-20871300-1457866292_thumb.png

post-846696-0-70235500-1457866317_thumb.png

Hello, all! :)

I followed all instructions from original post, but I have the same issue as fusion71au (distorted sound). I've tried on both my laptop (ALC269VB), also on a desktop pc (ALC662), but I have the same issue.

I've tried different stuff:

- AppleHDA Patcher (I don't think I'm quite sure how to use that; I dragged the config.plist from EFI partition, selected corresponding driver from desktop/laptop and that was it; copied then the config.plist to EFI; restart)

- El Capitan Post Install Scripts

Did you figure out how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your attention :)

P.S. fusion7au can you delete some messages from your inbox so that you can be contacted?

Edited by Micky1979
Tonymac stuff not allowed

Hi thanks a lot all is ok 

I install on ubuntu X64 and all is ok 

But just one problem

How can i do for use icloud ... 

I have a macbook pro so i wan't to use my icloud account

I try to install chameleon for active ethernetbuild on virtualbox but error

Do you have a solution 

Thanks a lot

As first timer, considering trying this to do multiplatform development, I was hoping to understand the relationship between the the machine on which the .iso is created and the cpuid settings for the VM.

Is the iso somehow specific for the machine on which it is created? If so, does using Intel's MacCPUID application help with deciding what to settings to use for the VM?

Or are the CPUID settings determined by the capabilities of the host machine for the VM?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble creating the .iso. When I run CECI.tool everything looks normal until the end when it says "hdiutil: convert failed - No space left on device"

I'm doing this from a VM on Virtualbox running Yosemite. Thanks all!

Thank you, fusion71au. This is a wonderful solution. Everything goes well according the steps for me, until launching the virtual machine guest to start the OSX installation. After some outputs, installation program keep to print below message for ever.

The host is Win7 sp1 64, Guest is OS X 11.10 downloading from app store and creating iso on a Mac, Virtual Box version is 5.0.10.

I am a beginner to OS X, fusion71au or any guru else could help this ? Thank you!

post-1699091-0-06449200-1460220880_thumb.png

Thank you, fusion71au. This is a wonderful solution. Everything goes well according the steps for me, until launching the virtual machine guest to start the OSX installation. After some outputs, installation program keep to print below message for ever.

The host is Win7 sp1 64, Guest is OS X 11.10 downloading from app store and creating iso on a Mac, Virtual Box version is 5.0.10.

I am a beginner to OS X, fusion71au or any guru else could help this ? Thank you!

This is because the "Orable VM Virtual Box Manager" program was not closed when I ran "patching El Capitan vbox configuration file with DMI Settings" commands. When running patching commands, not only El_Capitan VM client but also "Orable VM Virtual Box Manager" program should be closed.

• Like 1

UPDATE: Fixed! Read description below to find out what kind of problem did I have and read EDIT 2 with a fix (sort of).

Hey there, fusiou71au!

I'm fairly new here, but I tried following your guide step-by-step and I managed to get some results! The system is working, but...

I'm having weird crashes. They seem to be random, but I found out they occur mostly during "new" operations, like opening a new window, launching a project (in xcode), trying to launch simulator, or even starting to scroll in the window. In most cases I'm not receiving any error messages, just a black screen with console prompt. Or like the screen attached. After a minute, the login screen appears and everything is rolled back to the moment before the crash and I can continue my work, but the crashes are often and I'd rather not work with them.

I've prepared the ISO couple of days ago, with El Capitan on version 10.11.4. The same issues seem to be happening to my friend that installed from the same ISO.

Is it an issue with the way I prepared the ISO? I did it on my hackintosh yosemite virtual machine (from a guide I found on google) if it matters. If you'd like to get a hand on the ISO in talks, I can PM it to you (I'd rather not give it to public).

Or maybe it is not an issue with installation (or preparation), but with my configuration? I think I followed every step here.

EDIT: Also another file, with some more error logs that - unfortunatelly - do not give me any hints on where to go any further.

EDIT2: I think I might have fixed the issue. It was simply a matter of reinstalling the system with different virtualbox settings. For reference, I'm on

Intel i5 6400

Geforce GTX 970

8GB ram DDR4

And virtualbox flags I used:

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro8,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" 3
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W8#######B6"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W8#########1A"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc."
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B"

post-1704209-0-29655700-1461275963_thumb.png

post-1704209-0-45909900-1461277369_thumb.png

So, I ran through this last night, and it seemed to install fine. I'm able to get in to OS X and do OS X type things, however, I noticed one odd issue. When looking at System Profiler, It's showing I only have 3MB of VRAM, when I set it up to have 128MB (and hope to tweak it further to allow 512). Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hi,

i am trying to run El Capitan on an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Haswell with 4x3,4 Ghz and an ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance Board with 8GB Ram.

I just used this config:

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac14,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"

But after Installation i set a User and Password but if i enter the Password in the login screen i get a black screen and then back again the login screen??

Can someone help me with this?

Cu kami

Thanks for the great guide! I got this working working on a Lenovo W520.

However, it is rather slow. My W520 is running on a Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2820QM with 8BG of ram. I followed the tutorial to the T, so I didn't have to spoof or change anything. During the initial installation, I was watching the output, and there were some errors there, but it installed all the way.

My question is, is there anyway to speed it up. It's just laggy, and takes a while to open things, and search for things on the web. Is this normal running El Capitan in virtual box?

Thanks again for the tutorial. This is pretty sweet!

Hi, I am trying to set custom video mode for ElCapitan running in VirtualBox as a gues (host machine is Ubuntu Linux - by the way, the whole setup is working great).

I am trying to set CustomVideoMode as to 1920x1800.

In OS X I disabled System Integrity Protection (see guide here: http://anadoxin.org/blog/disabling-system-integrity-protection-from-guest-el-capitan-under-virtualbox-5.html)

After that I was able to edit file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

It looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Shut down the virtual machine and invoke the following command in Ubuntu host:

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"

After booting the virtual machine with OS X, custom video mode is not working... any idea what is wrong?

The problem is that you need a functioning Mac in order to create the install media. What if you do not have one? Is there a way to create install media using just a Windows PC?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'm having trouble creating the .iso. When I run CECI.tool everything looks normal until the end when it says "hdiutil: convert failed - No space left on device"

I'm doing this from a VM on Virtualbox running Yosemite. Thanks all!

That simply means that your VirtualBox partition for OS X is too small.

You have to either resize the partition (but I don't know how to resize OS X partition after disk resize) or create another larger hard disk and add it to your Yosemite VM, then format the disk under OS X and clone the system to the new disk with Carbon Copy Cloner.

After that you'll have to swap the first hard disk with the new one and you should have enough room to work with.

Something else, for the resolution problem I tried the VBoxManage setextradata "OS X VM" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" N (Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5), but didn't work for me.

Until I tried the same line but without quotes arround VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode and assuring that capitalization was respected and this time it worked.

For me VBoxManage setextradata "OS X VM" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" N works fine, but custom resolution (for widescreen) is not working, However, it seems there is a problem with ElCapitan, because VmWare has similar problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

anyone here how can help me with my login problem? I described it in Post #39.

Thanks a lot.

Cu kami

Hi Kami

If your problem looks similarly to the one I described in post #37 then you should simply follow my suggestions in that post.

Briefly speaking: try different configurations and reinstall your machine. It helped me.

The problem is that you need a functioning Mac in order to create the install media. What if you do not have one? Is there a way to create install media using just a Windows PC?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've created such media for me and my friends from school, if mega is still working, this will be the link with it:

https://mega.nz/#!WxtDHa7I!USd5qmnEParmZKR_MLzP0p11-Xje_lJZ4-BbUOQQwOE

PS. Don't abuse, I'd rather keep this working at least until next semester.