Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra, Yosemite or Mavericks in VirtualBox 5.0.10 on a Windows Host

Vanilla El Capitan VirtualBox Windows host OS X Yosemite Mavericks Virtual Machine Clover Sierra

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Matthai

Matthai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I am trying to set custom video mode for ElCapitan running in VirtualBox as a gues (host machine is Ubuntu Linux - by the way, the whole setup is working great).

I am trying to set CustomVideoMode as to 1920x1800.

In OS X I disabled System Integrity Protection (see guide here: http://anadoxin.org/...tualbox-5.html)

After that I was able to edit file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

It looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1080x32</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>"Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Shut down the virtual machine and invoke the following command in Ubuntu host:

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"

After booting the virtual machine with OS X, custom video mode is not working... any idea what is wrong?

musiclover7

musiclover7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
The problem is that you need a functioning Mac in order to create the install media. What if you do not have one? Is there a way to create install media using just a Windows PC?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Matthai

Matthai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I dont think so. Anyway, you need iStore access to download El Capitan install App. So yes, I am pretty sure having a Mac is a must.

FrDakota

FrDakota

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I'm having trouble creating the .iso. When I run CECI.tool everything looks normal until the end when it says "hdiutil: convert failed - No space left on device"

I'm doing this from a VM on Virtualbox running Yosemite. Thanks all!

That simply means that your VirtualBox partition for OS X is too small.

You have to either resize the partition (but I don't know how to resize OS X partition after disk resize) or create another larger hard disk and add it to your Yosemite VM, then format the disk under OS X and clone the system to the new disk with Carbon Copy Cloner.

After that you'll have to swap the first hard disk with the new one and you should have enough room to work with.

Something else, for the resolution problem I tried the VBoxManage setextradata "OS X VM" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" N (Where N can be one of 0,1,2,3,4,5), but didn't work for me.

Until I tried the same line but without quotes arround VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode and assuring that capitalization was respected and this time it worked.

Matthai

Matthai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

For me VBoxManage setextradata "OS X VM" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" N works fine, but custom resolution (for widescreen) is not working, However, it seems there is a problem with ElCapitan, because VmWare has similar problems.

kami83

kami83

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

anyone here how can help me with my login problem? I described it in Post #39.

Thanks a lot.

Cu kami

ashall

ashall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

anyone here how can help me with my login problem? I described it in Post #39.

Thanks a lot.

Cu kami

Hi Kami

If your problem looks similarly to the one I described in post #37 then you should simply follow my suggestions in that post.

Briefly speaking: try different configurations and reinstall your machine. It helped me.

The problem is that you need a functioning Mac in order to create the install media. What if you do not have one? Is there a way to create install media using just a Windows PC?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've created such media for me and my friends from school, if mega is still working, this will be the link with it:

https://mega.nz/#!WxtDHa7I!USd5qmnEParmZKR_MLzP0p11-Xje_lJZ4-BbUOQQwOE

PS. Don't abuse, I'd rather keep this working at least until next semester.

lenovomi

lenovomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

hi,

tried the howto step by step... but my VM got into state "stuck" ... the log is attached here: https://bpaste.net/show/6ddc19b5c448

my setup is bit more complicated... running Freenas ; virtualbox inside the jail ... and then VM for osx... any idea? is it possible to make it work in such an environment?

thank you!

lenovomi

lenovomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

hi, please can anyone help with this? i desperately need it to make it work ;-(

lenovomi

lenovomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

hm ;-( looks like dead thread? @fusion71au any help will be appreciated!

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Update for Sierra Betas and GM Final

The El Capitan Settings from post#1 still work for macOS Sierra Developer Preview/Public Beta or GM Final. 

Attached File  SierraDP on VirtualBox.png   1.21MB   9 downloads

To prepare the Sierra ISO on your Mac or Hack:

1.  On your Mac or Hack, download/copy "Install 10.12 Developer Preview.app", "Install macOS Sierra Public Beta.app" or "Install macOS Sierra.app" into your Applications folder.
2.  Download and unzip the CSI_DP.tool, CSI_PB.tool or CSI.tool (attached to this post) into your ~/Downloads folder. The commands in this executable script are shown below for informational purposes.  Note: you will need approx 16GB of free space on your hard disk for the script to complete.

Spoiler

3.  Open OS X terminal, then run the following commands to execute the script:

cd downloads
chmod +x CSI_DP.tool
./CSI_DP.tool

or for the public beta

cd downloads
chmod +x CSI_PB.tool
./CSI_PB.tool

or for the GM final

cd downloads
chmod +x CSI.tool
./CSI.tool

4.  At the end of the process, you will have a SierraDP.iso/SierraPB.iso/Sierra.iso on your desktop - copy this onto an exFAT formatted USB for use on the PC Host later.

Attached Files

George3064

George3064

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello! My setup is acting quite strange. I got to the installer page, but then it crashed with an illegal operation. Now whenever I try and boot it, it always fails after DSMOS arrives and then I hear a very distorted sound.

Mugs

Mugs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I want to use a virtualbox OS X to do development.

Using the vanilla installation on first post I can connect to apple store and download updates, and use my developer key, or MUST use clover?

Thank you.

shuishen49

shuishen49

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

did have song command just like 

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/rom" "%xx%xx%xx%xx%xx%xx"

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/mlb" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED"

I kone vm can do this .

and vbox i can not find any command like this.

weiqj

weiqj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Great guide!. Appreciate your effort very much.

I am running the El Capitan image from Tech Reviews on a Windows 10 with VirtualBox 5.0.26. It is working Ican download updates and xcode.

I tried to use bootloader from Tech Reviews but it won't boot with option -x to ignore errors. When it does boot with -x option it crashes now and then.

I also tried to install the latest clover but it won't install on El Capitan. 

I originally thought that USB doesn't work but it turned out that I chose USB 2.0 but I tested with a USB 3.0 stick. USB is indeed working.

Now the only thing left is the screen resolution. I need 1080P instead of 1902X1200.

I  will appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Below is my settings:

VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "OS X El Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F2238BAE"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W81234567B6"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W81234567891A"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc."
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B"
VBoxManage setextradata "OS X El Capitan" VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4

blackriderz

blackriderz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the awesome tutorial :D

undamac

undamac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

For me VBoxManage setextradata "OS X VM" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" N works fine, but custom resolution (for widescreen) is not working, However, it seems there is a problem with ElCapitan, because VmWare has similar problems.

I've just used this guide to successfully install Sierra in VB 5.1.6 and have exactly the same problem.  EfiGopMode works but not a custom resolution.  I've done a lot of searching and tried as many things as I could think of without success.

What is particularly frustrating is that I was running Mountain Lion in VB 4.3.30 and the custom resolution trick used to work.  But not any more.  Moreover, if I downgrade to VB 4.3 and open that ML machine, the custom resolution doesn't work anymore - ML now has the same screen resolution problems.

The question is - is this a Mac OS X os issue or a VB one?  The fact that you reported VMWare as having the same problems suggests a Mac OS X one.  But the fact that a downgrade of VB doesn't fix my problems suggests that it's more complex.  It's as if running the machine in a recent version of VB somehow does something to the install of Mac OS X in the virtual machine that can't be undone.

I'm inclined to report this as a VB bug, but first I need to replicate this on a Mac host rather than a Win host, or they'll ignore me.

I think that this is a Mac-specific problem as Win and Linux guests have guest additions.

undamac

undamac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

This post suggests that we're wasting our time on custom video modes using UEFI:
https://forums.virtu...=344689#p344689

It would seem that it worked for Mountain Lion because back then I wasn't booting it in EFI.  This post suggests that this isn't an option at present for recent versions of OS X:

http://www.insanelym...t/#entry2197249

Such is life.

mpittcasd

mpittcasd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I got El Capitan to install successfully and was able to get in and navigate like usual. I shut down the VM to try increasing the CPU cores and RAM but after that it would crash or hang when trying to boot up. Has anyone had the same issue or figured out a way to increase the power for the VM?

Thanks.

undamac

undamac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Given that it simply isn't possible to get a custom screen resolution to work with booting El Capitan or Sierra via EFI in VB, I had to decide what to do with my 1680x1050 screen (1.6:1 aspect ratio).

I tried scaling up the 1440x900 setting like this:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "Sera" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" 4
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "Sera" "GUI/ScaleFactor" 1.15

And while it works, it's not all that sharp.  Also the fonts end up a bit large and there isn't enough pixel resolution.  So instead I used the 1920x1200 setting scaled down:

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "Sera" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" 5
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "Sera" "GUI/ScaleFactor" 0.875

This is a lot sharper and works well.  The fonts are a bit small now, but you can increase them in quite a few places to compensate.  A custom resolution would be better, but this seems an acceptable workaround.

Thanks for the guide BTW, it was much appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vanilla, El Capitan, VirtualBox, Windows host, OS X, Yosemite, Mavericks, Virtual Machine, Clover, Sierra

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy