Run Vanilla OS X El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra in VirtualBox 5.0.34 on a Windows Host

Vanilla VirtualBox Windows host OS X Virtual Machine Clover El Capitan macOS Sierra macOS High Sierra

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

clauden

clauden

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Very best guide so far. Thank you.

Here are my working cpuidset:

(on HP i7 15.6in laptop, vbox 5.0.2, in EFI mode, with osx 10.9-10-11)
::MacBookPro8,2 with an IvyBridge i7-3770 CPU
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro8,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"

Few more that you may test: 
# unknown cpu
00000001 000206a7 02100800 1fbae3bf bfebfbff
# only for new i3/i5/i7 ivy bridge processor
00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff
# MacBookPro11,3 with an IvyBridge i7-3770 CPU
00000001 000306a9 04100800 7fbae3ff bfebfbff
# iMac11,3 (27-inch, Mid 2010)
00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
In my tests, some of the cpuid's gave errors like "vbox error", DSMOS and disk errors. I kept testing until one worked.

Here's the windows script I use to boot in EFI mode:
osx_efi_launch.bat 
@echo off
set VM_NAME=%1

::echo 'configuring cpuid and extradata for %VM_NAME%'
set MANAGE="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"
set VBOX="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe"

:: MacBookPro8,2 with an IvyBridge i7-3770 CPU
%MANAGE% modifyvm %VM_NAME% --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro8,2"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"

%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode 4
:: 0 640x480
:: 1 800x600
:: 2 1024x768
:: 3 1280x1024
:: 4 1440x900
:: 5 1920x1200

::%MANAGE% showvminfo %VM_NAME%
::pause
start "" %VBOX% --startvm %VM_NAME%

Then I simply create as many shortcuts as I need, in which I modify the target according to the VM name.
d:\path\to\scrpit\osx_efi_launch.bat VIRTUAL_MACHINE_NAME

Script to remove extra data (useful when testing): 
@echo off
set VM_NAME=%1

set MANAGE="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"
set VBOX="C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe"

:: note CPUID will be taken out from the .vbox file
:: %MANAGE% modifyvm %VM_NAME% --cpuidset 0
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC"
%MANAGE% setextradata %VM_NAME% "CustomVideoMode1"

pause
Hope it helps someone. :)

I've been fiddling with the config.plist and vbox file, but no matter what I try Clover is stuck at 1920x1200. I can't even make it go to a low resolution like 1024x768. Am I missing something? Before it's suggested, I'm avoiding the "EfiGopMode" method since it doesn't provide a 16:9 aspect option.

According to my test, the cpuid used may override the EfiGopMode. For example this one

# iMac11,3 (27-inch, Mid 2010)
00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff

would bypass my EfiGopMode=4, while others did not.

Worth the try.

Lalna

Lalna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I followed all the instructions exactly but every time I start it I get stuck here:

QDKemzo.png

hansdvl

hansdvl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I followed all the instructions exactly but every time I start it I get stuck here:

QDKemzo.png

I got same problem here..

but I still can not get into installation of el capitan step. it showing these error every time I start the installation.

I have tried to change the cpuidset become those that listed by clauden, still always error.

spakk

spakk

this Bastard of Donald Trump signs today a war of religions

• Local Moderators
  • 4,442 posts
  • Interests:If you are being criticized, you are doing something right. Only who has the ball gets attacked<...
probably caused the graphics card these problems, if the system should get stuck here:  “....Waiting for DSMOS” or “....DSMOS has arrived” .... ...or "IOBluetooth ....missing bluetooth...."
boot with your recent bootargs but in singel user mode as: -s .........   (if a dsdt is used, then boot with: DSDT=NO)

fsck -fy               (press the enter key)
mount -uw /                 (press the enter key)
mkdir /backup                      (write these and press the enter key)
cd /System/Library/Extensions                            (write these and press the enter key)
mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* /backup        (write these and press the enter key)
rm ../Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache      (write these and press the enter key)
reboot              (press the enter key)

alternatively:
connect the USB flash disk or your external HDD to an runnable OS X system
and remove all graphics drivers, as described above from S/L/E, then fix the permissions and reboot.

Lalna

Lalna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

probably caused the graphics card these problems, if the system should get stuck here:  “....Waiting for DSMOS” or “....DSMOS has arrived” .... ...or "IOBluetooth ....missing bluetooth...."
boot with your recent bootargs but in singel user mode as: -s .........   (if a dsdt is used, then boot with: DSDT=NO)

fsck -fy               (press the enter key)
mount -uw /                 (press the enter key)
mkdir /backup                      (write these and press the enter key)
cd /System/Library/Extensions                            (write these and press the enter key)
mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* AMDRadeon* ATI* GeForce* NVDA* /backup        (write these and press the enter key)
rm ../Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache      (write these and press the enter key)
reboot              (press the enter key)

alternatively:
connect the USB flash disk or your external HDD to an runnable OS X system
and remove all graphics drivers, as described above from S/L/E, then fix the permissions and reboot.

I have no idea what you mean by this? What console do I type those commands in?

So I did everything the same except instead of using the SATA optical drive I used an IDE one to mount the .iso

It gets to here:

S0W6wRp.png

Then this happens:

vgeLOtg.png

About every 2 mins a new blank line appears and no matter how long I leave it is never progresses.

Does this method not work for the 10 Dec 2015 build of El Capitan?

richlee91

richlee91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I also have the same issue.  (I don't get those weird graphics artifacts but I do get that bluetooth errror.

richlee91

richlee91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Also, spakk this is during initial installation,  So I don't think there is anything to fsck yet.  Let me know if I'm crazy.  

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 876 posts

Hi Guys,

Those having problems with the install hanging after DSMOS has arrived can try resetting/changing their vbox configuration:

To reset/remove a CPUID from your configuration:

1.  Shutdown all VirtualBox windows and the VirtualBox Program.

2.  Edit the <vmname>.vbox file (located in C:\Users\[username]\Virtualbox VMs\<vmname>\ folder) with WordPad and remove the lines that read like

<CpuIdTree>
          <CpuIdLeaf id="1" eax="67301" ebx="1050624" ecx="10019837" edx="3219913727"/>
        </CpuIdTree>

Spoofing alternative Mac Models/SMBIOSes using VBoxManage.exe

1.  Shutdown all VirtualBox windows and the VirtualBox Program.

2.  Reset your DmiSystemProduct to null...

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" ""

3.  Enter a different DmiSystemProduct eg spoofing a Macmini6,2 works with El Capitan running in VirtualBox on my laptop XPS M1530. 

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "Macmini6,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

4.  You may or may not need to change the CPUID presented to your virtual machine (for my system, I did not need to enter a CPUID:  Try without the CPUID line, then with the line if there is a problem - see @clauden's post#21 above for some alternative CPUIDs).

Spoiler

richlee91

richlee91

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

This did it, thank you.  Once I setup those commands I booted and it came up to a grey screen and errored out.  Then I remove the virualbox harddrive, recreated it and started it back it.  And it installed.  Thank you, again.

mglp

mglp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 1 posts
Hello, all! :)
I followed all instructions from original post, but I have the same issue as fusion71au (distorted sound). I've tried on both my laptop (ALC269VB), also on a desktop pc (ALC662), but I have the same issue.

I've tried different stuff:
- AppleHDA Patcher (I don't think I'm quite sure how to use that; I dragged the config.plist from EFI partition, selected corresponding driver from desktop/laptop and that was it; copied then the config.plist to EFI; restart)
- El Capitan Post Install Scripts

Did you figure out how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your attention :)

P.S. fusion7au can you delete some messages from your inbox so that you can be contacted?

Edited by Micky1979, 18 May 2016 - 04:10 PM.
Tonymac stuff not allowed

fennec62

fennec62

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Hi thanks a lot all is ok 

I install on ubuntu X64 and all is ok 

But just one problem

How can i do for use icloud ... 

I have a macbook pro so i wan't to use my icloud account

I try to install chameleon for active ethernetbuild on virtualbox but error

Do you have a solution 

Thanks a lot

KenV99

KenV99

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

As first timer, considering trying this to do multiplatform development, I was hoping to understand the relationship between the the machine on which the .iso is created and the cpuid settings for the VM.

Is the iso somehow specific for the machine on which it is created? If so, does using Intel's MacCPUID application help with deciding what to settings to use for the VM?

Or are the CPUID settings determined by the capabilities of the host machine for the VM?

cjm2265

cjm2265

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I'm having trouble creating the .iso. When I run CECI.tool everything looks normal until the end when it says "hdiutil: convert failed - No space left on device"

I'm doing this from a VM on Virtualbox running Yosemite. Thanks all!

zhiyazw

zhiyazw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you, fusion71au. This is a wonderful solution. Everything goes well according the steps for me, until launching the virtual machine guest to start the OSX installation. After some outputs, installation program keep to print below message for ever.

The host is Win7 sp1 64, Guest is OS X 11.10 downloading from app store and creating iso on a Mac, Virtual Box version is 5.0.10.

I am a beginner to OS X, fusion71au or any guru else could help this ? Thank you!

Attached File  error.png   84.6KB   8 downloads

Trailer Park Boy

Trailer Park Boy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks fusion... The steps in this guide worked flawlessly. Excellent work... and the VM create is very snappy.

zhiyazw

zhiyazw

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thank you, fusion71au. This is a wonderful solution. Everything goes well according the steps for me, until launching the virtual machine guest to start the OSX installation. After some outputs, installation program keep to print below message for ever.

The host is Win7 sp1 64, Guest is OS X 11.10 downloading from app store and creating iso on a Mac, Virtual Box version is 5.0.10.

I am a beginner to OS X, fusion71au or any guru else could help this ? Thank you!

This is because the "Orable VM Virtual Box Manager" program was not closed when I ran "patching El Capitan vbox configuration file with DMI Settings" commands. When running patching commands, not only El_Capitan VM client but also "Orable VM Virtual Box Manager" program should be closed.

ashall

ashall

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

UPDATE: Fixed! Read description below to find out what kind of problem did I have and read EDIT 2 with a fix (sort of).

Hey there, fusiou71au!

I'm fairly new here, but I tried following your guide step-by-step and I managed to get some results! The system is working, but...

I'm having weird crashes. They seem to be random, but I found out they occur mostly during "new" operations, like opening a new window, launching a project (in xcode), trying to launch simulator, or even starting to scroll in the window. In most cases I'm not receiving any error messages, just a black screen with console prompt. Or like the screen attached. After a minute, the login screen appears and everything is rolled back to the moment before the crash and I can continue my work, but the crashes are often and I'd rather not work with them.

I've prepared the ISO couple of days ago, with El Capitan on version 10.11.4. The same issues seem to be happening to my friend that installed from the same ISO.

Is it an issue with the way I prepared the ISO? I did it on my hackintosh yosemite virtual machine (from a guide I found on google) if it matters. If you'd like to get a hand on the ISO in talks, I can PM it to you (I'd rather not give it to public).

Or maybe it is not an issue with installation (or preparation), but with my configuration? I think I followed every step here.

EDIT: Also another file, with some more error logs that - unfortunatelly - do not give me any hints on where to go any further.

EDIT2: I think I might have fixed the issue. It was simply a matter of reinstalling the system with different virtualbox settings. For reference, I'm on

Intel i5 6400

Geforce GTX 970

8GB ram DDR4

And virtualbox flags I used:

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El_Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "MacBookPro8,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-F65AE981FFA204ED"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" 3
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" "W8#######B6"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardSerial" "W8#########1A"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor" "Apple Inc."
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemFamily" "iMac"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBIOSVersion" "IM112.0057.03B"

Attached Files

jzaczyk

jzaczyk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

So, I ran through this last night, and it seemed to install fine. I'm able to get in to OS X and do OS X type things, however, I noticed one odd issue. When looking at System Profiler, It's showing I only have 3MB of VRAM, when I set it up to have 128MB (and hope to tweak it further to allow 512). Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

kami83

kami83

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi,

i am trying to run El Capitan on an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Haswell with 4x3,4 Ghz and an ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance Board with 8GB Ram.

I just used this config:

VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac14,2"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61"
VBoxManage setextradata "El_Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc"

But after Installation i set a User and Password but if i enter the Password in the login screen i get a black screen and then back again the login screen??

Can someone help me with this?

Cu kami

stumpja

stumpja

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanks for the great guide! I got this working working on a Lenovo W520.

However, it is rather slow. My W520 is running on a Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2820QM with 8BG of ram. I followed the tutorial to the T, so I didn't have to spoof or change anything. During the initial installation, I was watching the output, and there were some errors there, but it installed all the way.

My question is, is there anyway to speed it up. It's just laggy, and takes a while to open things, and search for things on the web. Is this normal running El Capitan in virtual box?

Thanks again for the tutorial. This is pretty sweet!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Vanilla, VirtualBox, Windows host, OS X, Virtual Machine, Clover, El Capitan, macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy