MBP (15" 2008) powers on but no display or input

durpflip

4 posts in this topic

i have this 15" macbook pro that powers on,but doesn't receive any sort of keyboard or video input. caps lock light doesn't work,same for the backlight. power light on the LCD bezel catch is on,however,and the HD/DVD all have their normal behavior.

help?

This vintage MBP was notorious for the nVidia chip failing. Here is a site where some people have got it working using various methods. Of course, YMMV.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9045/MBP+A1226+Logic+Board+last+resort+fix+for+nVidia+video+chip

-MH

i was somewhat aware of that,but how does the video card interact with the keyboard? mine simply doesn't react to anything since the SMC hasn't changed one bit after attempting to reset it. the caps lock light doesn't light up when i press it either. no backlight.

should i just replace the video card then? if so,with what?

Unfortunately, it is a chip and not a card. Someone from that link does actually change the chip but it looks like he had professional equipment. Apple was replacing motherboards under warranty for a while. I did see this happen to one of these and I can't remember if the keyboard worked but I don't think it booted.

-MH