Mountain Lion on AMD Athlon II X2 270, Radeon R7 240

TheRoxasguy

23 posts in this topic

Hello! I have been attempting to install Mountain Lion on my PC which is currently running Windows 10. Here are my current specs.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 270

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon R7 240 (4GB DDR3)

RAM: 8GB

Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

However, I am... not doing too well with the installation. Upon my first attempt, I was successful at getting the PC to boot into the OS X boot screen (Apple Logo with loading spinner), but it just sat there spinning and spinning, not doing anything more.

So I rebooted and entered in some boot flags. I tried the following combinations: 

1) amd -v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000

2) amd -v PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

3 )amd -v

4) amd

Now, the results were the following:

1) The entire process stopped at "System uptime in nanoseconds = 0"

2) The process froze about a minute into the loading process with the error, "BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory."

3) Same result as #2

4) I can load into the Apple loading screen, but it sits forever and never actually loads the installation setup.

So... My question is this:

My PC specs can run Mountain Lion, correct? If not, then I apologize for wasting your time. :P Which versions of OS X can my PC run with the mentioned specs? How would I go about running this on my hardware? I am completely new to this process, so I apologize for my inexperience. But I thank you all for your help! :)

use a current OS X Yosemite install app from app store and use the matching amd kernel which is offered here on insaneleymac, then you will have success and let the fingers of the {censored} distros!

Edit:

AMD kernel development is located under "Developers Corner" in the field AMD .... a bit search and read, can not hurt!

use a current OS X Yosemite install app from app store and use the matching amd kernel which is offered here on insaneleymac, then you will have success and let the fingers of the {censored} distros!

Edit:

AMD kernel development is located under "Developers Corner" in the field AMD .... a bit search and read, can not hurt!

Thanks for replying! My PC hardware is capable of running Yosemite?? I'll look into your suggestions as soon as I can and post the results.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here you have some kernels to choose from :)

Thank you. So... after I download one, then how do I use it? I'm sorry for being a noob regarding this, but I can't seem to find instructions on how to apply this kernel once downloaded. Do I need to install the Yosemite version that I get directly from the App Store? I'm assuming I need a bootloader for that however, so how do I apply a bootloader and which loader is the best?

Thank you. So... after I download one, then how do I use it? I'm sorry for being a noob regarding this, but I can't seem to find instructions on how to apply this kernel once downloaded. Do I need to install the Yosemite version that I get directly from the App Store? I'm assuming I need a bootloader for that however, so how do I apply a bootloader and which loader is the best?

I actually never used an AMD kernel but i remember from chameleon that you put it in the Main directory and than call it with "kernelname"

• 4 weeks later...

I actually never used an AMD kernel but i remember from chameleon that you put it in the Main directory and than call it with "kernelname"

What I am confused with is this: Do I need to place the kernel inside the OSX image at all? Do I copy things somewhere onto the disk I am booting from? I cannot find tutorials on this at all and assistance would be much appreciated.

What I am confused with is this: Do I need to place the kernel inside the OSX image at all? Do I copy things somewhere onto the disk I am booting from? I cannot find tutorials on this at all and assistance would be much appreciated.

So code is "mach atom" where atom corresponds with your kernel name

Where do I put the kernel files though? Can you send me a link to a step-by-step tutorial on how to use custom kernels?

For Yosemite replace the original kernel located in /System/Library/Kernels/ with the AMD kernel. It is just named "kernel" not "mach_kernel" anymore. Or you can put the kernel in the root of the HDD and use /kernel at the Chameleon/Enoch screen to boot with it.

For Yosemite replace the original kernel located in /System/Library/Kernels/ with the AMD kernel. It is just named "kernel" not "mach_kernel" anymore. Or you can put the kernel in the root of the HDD and use /kernel at the Chameleon/Enoch screen to boot with it.

Thank you, this is the first amount of detailed support I could find on how to install a kernel. I have another question though which I suppose is the "king" of my questions. Do I move this to the root of my Windows HDD and install it through the bootloader? Or do I insert it into the Kernels folder within the image file of Yosemite and then install? I do not have Yosemite on my PC. I'm trying to install it. :P Also, I do have a MacBook available with El Capitan so if I need to do something on a Mac I can do that. Thanks for the help!

Thank you, this is the first amount of detailed support I could find on how to install a kernel. I have another question though which I suppose is the "king" of my questions. Do I move this to the root of my Windows HDD and install it through the bootloader? Or do I insert it into the Kernels folder within the image file of Yosemite and then install? I do not have Yosemite on my PC. I'm trying to install it. :P Also, I do have a MacBook available with El Capitan so if I need to do something on a Mac I can do that. Thanks for the help!

Ahh sorry I thought you had it installed already. Just place the kernel and Extra folder in the root of your USB drive and boot with the following bootflags,

/kernel -x -f -v npci=0x3000

• Like 1

Ahh sorry I thought you had it installed already. Just place the kernel and Extra folder in the root of your USB drive and boot with the following bootflags,

/kernel -x -f -v npci=0x3000

Thank you! I'm trying this right now. I'll post the results!

Alright, so I was able to boot into the installer very easily. But now after I installed the operating system, my PC is on a constant reboot. How do I get the PC to boot into Yosemite? The installation passed with no errors. Everything went very smoothly. I don't even make it to a Chameleon loading screen at all, when my USB is plugged in or not. If my USB is plugged in then I get to somewhat of an interface which allows me to load into the installer, but when that's unplugged my PC is on a constant reboot and there's no errors. I boot with -v but the screen just flashes and I don't have enough time to read what it says.

Do you have Windows installed on the same PC? You can use TransMac to copy the Extra folder and kernel over to your installed partition so it will boot.

I do not have Windows installed on there anymore. I do have some Linux Live-CD's available I could try using. But this kernel didn't come with any folder called "Extras." It did come with another folder. The main folder containing the kernel"1010 SSEPlus-Rev.6" which you can download at this link: 10.10_SSEPlus_Rev.6 The other folder it comes with is called "1010-rev.6.diff.zip" It contains a "patch.diff." Is this the extras folder you're referring to?

I don't mind reinstalling at all, so I could put this "Extras" folder in the root of my USB along with the kernel. I have a MacBook I can do this on.

The Extra folder is part of the bootloader Chameleon. It contains the bootflags required to boot the system. Boot into the Installer again and open Terminal from the Utilities menu on the menu bar. From there type the following,

cd /Volumes/

ls

cd /"NAME OF USB"

cp -R kernel /Volumes/"NAME OF OS X DRIVE"

Then using your USB boot from the HDD using /kernel -f -v npci=0x3000

• Like 1

The Extra folder is part of the bootloader Chameleon. It contains the bootflags required to boot the system. Boot into the Installer again and open Terminal from the Utilities menu on the menu bar. From there type the following,

cd /Volumes/

ls

cd /"NAME OF USB"

cp -R kernel /Volumes/"NAME OF OS X DRIVE"

Then using your USB boot from the HDD using /kernel -f -v npci=0x3000

Alright, thank you! This allowed me to boot into OS X. However, it seems my graphics card isn't operational currently. Is my card compatible with Yosemite? The OS is running fine, it's just really low resolution and a lot of image tearing. I have a Sapphire Radeon R7 240 4GB DDR3. Thank you for helping me!

To be honest I'm not sure. I don't use AMD graphics so not sure on the patching. However someone here will be able to help you with that, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/174-ati/

Also look on the root of your pendrive. Do you see a folder named Extra? If so upload it. Assuming you're using Chameleon/Enoch to boot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I'm not sure. I don't use AMD graphics so not sure on the patching. However someone here will be able to help you with that, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/forum/174-ati/

Also look on the root of your pendrive. Do you see a folder named Extra? If so upload it. Assuming you're using Chameleon/Enoch to boot.

Sorry for the late reply. I came down with an illness a few weeks ago...

I also purchased a GTX 950 and installed it within my rig. However... I cannot find anything about that card working in Yosemite either. I have found some information about a "Web Driver" from nVidia, however after I installed it there was no difference in the display. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Never mind, I was able to get the graphics card working! I just needed to swap the Web Drivers around as the currently used driver XD So that's all taken care of. I tested with a 3D application and it works flawlessly.

However, now I need to get audio and my wifi working.

For audio, my motherboard came equipped with an Integrated ALC888S-VD. 

As for the networking... That's more confusing to me. I think my Wifi is called "802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card" (that's according to the manufacture's site). And my ethernet is a "10-Base-T PCI Realtek RTL8105E."

Do you have any suggestions for those components? Thanks for your help!

Edited by TheRoxasguy

For your Audio, I don't think a patched AppleHDA will work on your chipset so we will go with VoodooHDA. Remove AppleHDA from System/Library/Extensions and install this,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/VoodooHDA-2.8.8.pkg.zip/download

For your LAN, Install this,

Realtek PCIE x1 LAN RTL0105E.mpkg.zip

WiFi can be tricky without a properly supported card. Run this app to see what the card is,

System Info.zip

• Like 1

I installed both of those packages (for audio and ethernet). The audio did not change anything, but I think Ethernet may have worked. However, my PC is some distance away from my router so I'm unable to connect my PC via ethernet. It must be wireless. I opened up that System Info app you sent and found my device and my device is the "Ralink 5390." After looking around it seems that card is not compatible with OS X. But those posts were rather old, so perhaps this changed over time? Do you know of any kexts for this device?

Would I be better off buying a wireless adapter such as this one from amazon? Edimax provides OS X drivers for almost all of their adapters.

UPDATE: Never mind, the audio mysteriously started working! It had a lot of static, but I just needed to set the Input Gain to 0. So audio is working, now I just need internet.

Also, it seems my PC will be on a constant reboot loop unless I type in the bootleg "/kernel". Is there anyway I can make the OS use the kernel on the USB by default? Copy it over somewhere? I did some looking around on the internet and actually couldn't find anything regarding that.

Edited by TheRoxasguy