Experiences with Magic Mouse 2 and Apple Wireless Keyboard

3 posts in this topic

My boss recently bought a new iMac 4K because he was told the display would look like paper. Meh. He didn't want the magic mouse and wireless keyboard that came with it so he asked me if I could use them. I was thinking, cool, new Apple hardware for my hack.

I had been using the original magic mouse which was again an unwanted accessory from someone's Apple purchase. I have grown to like using these mice and now find using a scroll wheel to be somewhat clunky. The magic mouse 2 is similar to the original except that it follows the Apple trend of not being able to change the batteries. The mouse uses a lightning connector to charge and it is located on the bottom. I had read some criticism of this from people who are already using rechargeable batteries and dislike not being able to use the mouse while charging. I have been monitoring the the charge level and it looks as though it will only need a charge once a month or so. Although the option is unchecked, I have not been able to turn off the Swipe Between Pages feature with this mouse. A mild annoyance but, of course, it should just work.

The design of the Apple wireless keyboard is a bit minimalist for my taste. It does have the special function keys but that's not enough to win me over. At least you can use it while it charges. Something I have found is that if I wake my computer with the mouse, the keyboard will take a few seconds to connect and I have to wait to enter a password. If I wake the computer with the keyboard, the mouse will take a few seconds to connect and I wait again. I have been using a Dell bluetooth keyboard that will send all the keys typed before connecting and that just works better.

-MH

mouseampkeyboard_zps347ymxfz.png

My iMac 27" 2012 came with the magic mouse and that small keyboard. I ended up buying a full size keyboard (usb) but keeping the magic mouse. In fact bought one for the wife and especially for the 5 year old grand daughter as she was having trouble with a wired mouse and desktop (real desk) space. The magic mouse relieved her frustrations.  BTW how long does the mouse take to recharge?

Lou Cioccio