xubuntu 15.10 ubuntu server raid0 encryption lvm vlc sshguard fail2ban xfce

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Hi everyone!

xubuntu 15.10 come on raid0 and encryption make me re-think ubuntu-base responsive.

I have few small ssds around and I need a bigger storage on the boot drive that why I pick raid0 to combine for storage, I am no really looking for speed on this set-up. about the encryption is for security reason in-case of lost or stolen computer make me not worry for un-authorize access data. so we start like this:

In case if you just want on a single disk you can get xubuntu iso from http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/#regularand install.

now, you want raid0, get the iso on from ubuntu server 15.10 at http://releases.ubun...d64.iso.torrentand make iso boot-able to install server first.

on the server install first drive, partition a /boot for 500MB as ext4, the rest of drive for a partition for hardware raid. the second drive and third drive is 1 partition for hardware raid.

configure those raid as raid0 or whatever level you like, then make its to encryption ( chose a 20 to 30 characters pharepass for high security)

configure that encryption to LVM then make 1 group that could contain root, swap, and home. then format and mount its according to its set-up.

now install as regular server, may chose its as ssh server, create user... done, reboot

then to add xubuntu GUI to its.

sudo apt-get update

sudo systemctl enable ufw            ( for firewall auto start)

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop      ( it may take a-while for 500MB download and extract plus install)

done and reboot, login and install following as optional

sudo apt-get install vlc sshguard fail2ban

sudo systemctl disable sshd              ( to stop ssh to your server)

turn out I can't disable sshd so I remove it it instead

sudo apt-get purge openssh-server    

you may want to install compton to reduce screen-tearing.

sudo apt-get install comtpon  ( use it with file I attach)

Xubuntu 15.10 have a great performment, fast cut and paste file to samba as 50 MB/s.

have fun and enjoy.

Edit: somehow the compton setting, it is best with radeon graphics card, mine is radeon 7950 and 8750, its provide no tearing at all. On the nvidia GTX-660ti, still has tearing and cpu process goes much higher on the same application.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xubuntu, 15.10, ubuntu server, raid0, encryption, lvm, vlc, sshguard, fail2ban, xfce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy