Display using DVI to HDMI converter

azhxc721

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I have done some pretty extensive searching and can't seem to find a straight answer on if/how this is possible.

I am currently trying to use my 46" (I believe) Panasonic Viera TV to display my mac running OSx El Capitan. I can get it running just fine using the VGA port, but I have a DVI to HDMI converter, and have been running my Windows partition using that without any problems. When I try to hook it up to mac, the OS freezes.

Everything else is running fine! Would love the help if anyone has any suggestions.

Current Machine

Motherboard - ASUS P5QC with custom DSDT

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo 4 core @ 2.4Ghz

Video Card - EVGA e-GeForce 9800 (uses 980 chipset)

I have tried installing the NVIDIA web drivers and know that they are working but on boot it says that I am still using the native OS X drivers. Every time I switch it restarts and then does the same thing. I am really hoping this isn't stemming from an unfixable issue with the card.

I have tried installing the NVIDIA web drivers and know that they are working but on boot it says that I am still using the native OS X drivers. Every time I switch it restarts and then does the same thing. I am really hoping this isn't stemming from an unfixable issue with the card.

I am not sure why, but yes, the UI will keep saying that it's using the OS X drivers no matter what. On the other hand, it obviously is not, because graphics work fully accelerated. I suspect the UI is looking at some NVRAM setting which doesn't get set correctly, but the drivers select themselves based on the nvda_drv=1 bootarg

At least that is my experience on a GTX970

• Like 1

I am not sure why, but yes, the UI will keep saying that it's using the OS X drivers no matter what. On the other hand, it obviously is not, because graphics work fully accelerated. I suspect the UI is looking at some NVRAM setting which doesn't get set correctly, but the drivers select themselves based on the nvda_drv=1 bootarg

At least that is my experience on a GTX970

I had assumed this was the case as it is apparent if graphics acceleration is actually working with the OS upon boot. I have it injecting NVIDIA as well as using the nvda_drv=1 bootflag, works fine for DVI out to a DVI monitor, as well as DVI to VGA conversion. My TV onlu supports VGA and HDMI, and my DVI monitor broke, hence the hang-up and need to use HDMI rather than VGA in order to still have a decent looking display. 

If anyone else has any suggestions, the help is much appreciated. Thanks again everyone!