Improving Performance of El Capitan inside a VM with Workstation 12. Any Tipps?

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

im relatively new to all those Virtualization Topics regarding OSX inside VMware.

I managed to install OSX now and it works quite well. However i seem to have some performance issues. Graphics are sluggish and the overall performance doesnt feel like it should be regarding to the settings i have for the VM.

It has 4 Cores assigned and can use up to 13,5 GB of my 16 GB RAM.

I have:

Intel Core i7 4770K

16 GB Patriot RAM

Gefore GTX 770

Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD (dont have enough Space on my SSD, so i MUST use this)

VMware Tools also installed well, i get full 1080p resolution and everything - really the only thing not working are the Shared Folders but this doesnt bother me that much since i can compensate with SMB. But yeah, the performance still doesnt seem to be good. Standard Apps like Safari already take a while to open and the graphic card is not recognized at all - it shows a generic adapter with128 MB RAM ^^

Can you help me improving the performance for this machine? Did i forgot something? Is it possible to give OSX 10.11 access to my graphics card somehow?

Would be great if you can help. Im a bit overwhelmed here and need some advice. Googling hasnt helped me that much so far :-/

Many thanks for your help!

subb

I use OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) as stated in the Topic Title.

And yes, i did the steps you linked already. I first had to install OSX with the Version set to 10 (i had this Dump error before then trying to boot into installation with Version set to 12 already). After it was up and running i upgraded the Machine to Version 12 as suggested in the 3rd post. I then installed the VMware tools from the latest Unlocker.

The System Monitor in OSX shows a CPU usage of just around 5% in Idle and Memory also looks very good - just 3 GB out of the 13,5 GB are used and there is no swap. When i start Safari for example, CPU usage shortly increases to 13% and then stays at around 7% after Safari completely loaded. As all of this is virtualized i guess those values arent that bad.

Still the graphics are sluggish and it somehow just doesnt feel smooth. I also tried to increase the VRAM for the graphics card to 512 MB by adding this to the VMX-File:

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"
svga.vramSize = "525950976"

But it does not have any effect. The Workstation ignores the settings in the second line and sets the svga.vramSize to 134217728 when i restart the VM, which in turn leads to the 128 MB of RAM again.

I've attached my VMX File if you have the time to look over it. Is there something wrong in this file? Something that might cause this sluggish graphic feeling?

Or is there anything else i can do? I dont expect Nvidia PKG Drivers for Hackintosh Systems to work, right? Or is it still possible to give a virtualized OSX access to the real Graphic Hardware of my system somehow?

Thanks for all your help again!

subb

OSX 10.11.vmx.txt

no you cant get access to your graphic card you are stuck with 128mb unless you somehow manage to get a hack or tweak working but there is no way released yet to make that work sadly enough.
you cant get 3D acess in os x with vmware workstation.

so you are stuck with 128 just like everybody else

you have also installed:
https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/fusion/8.0.2/3164312/packages/8.0.2 version of vmware tools?

no, i have used the tools from the unlocker. what you linked is for fusion; i use the workstation. also there is no osx package inside.

i dont have a chance to use the machine anyway as i now found out. the software i wanted to use in this machine (autodesk smoke) strictly requires access to the graphics card; it will otherwise just start up with a blank white screen. so if its impossible to pass the graphics card to the virtual machine - or to at least emulate this somehow - i have no use for it anymore.

still thanks for your replies

• 3 weeks later...
I' running into this problem when i try to expand my OS X(El Capitan) virtual machine diskspace on VMware 12 - on Windows 10. With Unlocker 2.07

I'm using TechReviews: https://www.youtube....h?v=qIINnuBRsmg - download link: https://goo.gl/2Lu9c6

I get this core dump:

vcpu:-0:Verify vmcore/vmm/main/physmem_monitor.c:1178

And yes i've already added:   smc.version = "0"   to my VMX configuration file...

What is wrong ???

Please i can't expand my OS X VM image: 40 GB preset in VMware is simply to small

Regards

Tom