NVMe Express digging

jan-munich

117 posts in this topic

I had no problems. Either in my boards 2x pci-e M.2 slot or the 4x Pci-e M.2 adapter.  All I did was put the kext in the install usb's 10.11 Kext folder and booted. The installer saw the drive fine. Formatted and installed. Then installed clover on the NMVE drive.

@AppleIIGuy

Also Gigabyte, apparently, like jan-munich. Both without issues. I have an ASUS board. Z170 chipset, with NVMe support. I do have issues. Just tried jan-munich's Clover config to rule that out -> no change. Still issues.

To bad to hear. :(  So im sticking to mainboard / bios issues. So seems that gigabyte users are the lucky ones right now.. would be good to confirm this from another user, so we could start looking even deeper into the bios differences.

@AppleIIGuy: Of course, didn't think that for a moment. Sorry if I sounded harsh myself. Just can't bear having no clue as to why it doesn't work with me, and even less to a solution. If it's a mobo/UEFI issue it'll still be a long way, as I can figure ASUS' response to a support request regarding this. I am now using the SM951 AHCI as a replacement, which is stable but performance is disappointing IMO. Not bad, but disappointing having used the 950 Pro.

All right, out of all possibilities, ASUS itself added some spice into the mix. I don't know who stimulated them to do so - that person just earned a pass to heaven - but they just put out a new BIOS. 

Z170 PRO GAMING BIOS 1204

1.Support MAC OS 
2.Update CPU Microcode 
3.Improve system stability

Of course, hopes were high, but, unfortunately, the KP-on-logoff/shutdown/reboot issue persists with me. But they essentially acknowledge OS X here, heck, they even "support" it, which makes it a lot easier to contact them about this. Kudos. It is weekend now, but time will come. EDIT: right, just spent 1,5 hours on creating accounts, filling in forms, vague refusal boxes, but a support request has been filed. Now let's see what they say. EDIT2: got a response, basically meaningless. Seeing some threads at Tony's I also find it hard to believe it really is an issue tied to this specified board (series). Meanwhile, the kext dev is completely silent.

• 3 months later...

I have installed OSX 10.11.5 on SM951 NVME 512GB. I have successfully installed clover and able to boot with nv_disable=1. I have installed web driver and added nvda_drv=1 then it stuck on apple logo on 50% progress.. but I can boot with disabling Nvidia web drivers and rest everything works but no graphics..

Any idea what may be the issue?

Thanks

I have installed OSX 10.11.5 on SM951 NVME 512GB. I have successfully installed clover and able to boot with nv_disable=1. I have installed web driver and added nvda_drv=1 then it stuck on apple logo on 50% progress.. but I can boot with disabling Nvidia web drivers and rest everything works but no graphics..

Thanks

please your signature ..i mean hardware

Thanks

Has nothing to do with you NVMe drive. please keep this post clean.

To answer your question: Have a look on how to successfully patch your AppleGraphicsControl.kext dependent on your FakeSMC to make the driver properly load up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a Intel NUC6i5syh booting from a NVME 950 PRO using Clover and NVMeGeneric driver :)

Everything looks super, performance is fantastic ... but my disk is seen as an external one.

My main concern is with TRIM for the NVME drive. Is it enabled, how can I check it out?

1) the NVME drive do not show up in System Information:

a. it's not under "NVMExpress" listing ("This computer doesn't contain any NVME...")
b. it's not under "PCI" listing
c. it's not under "SATA/SATA Express" (one other drive, a 850 EVO shows up here)
d. it does appear under "Storage" with Protocol: PCI​

2) I've issued the command "trimforce enable" and the disk 850 EVO -- in point [c.] above -- appears with Trim!
3) But for the NVME 950 PRO there is not report

Should I be afraid of using my disk this way ? (because of trim)