X230 El Capitan

gilg2533

36 posts in this topic

There is no whitelisted card that will work with os x. What I did was buy an atheros 9280 and rebranded it to appear as a n6300. This passed the whitelist check and then the fakepciid kexts I provided lets os x see it as an apple airport card and it works natively. This may be next to impossible to get to work in windows due to driver issues, I haven't tried as I only have os x on the machine currently.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

With the help of this thread I was able to install El Capitan on my X230. I had the same difficulties, I couldn't reboot without the USB but solved that by copying the CLOVER directory from the EFI partition of the USB to the CLOVER directory of the EFI partition on the SSD.

I also have the same issues that Audio doesn't work, nor brightness (intel backlight kext doesn't load) and the battery indicator says that there is no battery installed.

I couldn't use the SSDT from the install files as my configuration is an i7-3350 2.9GHz and at this stage I don't really know what a SSDT does (another rabbit hole to dive into...) 

Any help would be appreciated to help me along. Config is i7-3350 2.9GHz / HD4000 / 16GB DDR3 / 500GB Crucial 300 SSD, 12.5" IPS. 

Many thanks. 

So another day and a bit more progress.

I extracted the DSDT and SSDT's. I applied the brightness fix patch to SSDT-0 and the levovo x230i battery patch to the DSDT and placed them together with the unpatched SSDT's in the SSD EFI/ACPI/Patched directory and during boot set to drop all OEM SSDT'S.

Brightness now works, so does battery status and level!

Haven't looked at sound today but still no sound. However, I get sound when playing via AirPlay to my AppleTV...

Would appreciate how you got sound to work. Happy to post my patch set, X230 is with latest BIOS and i7-3350 2.9GHz config.

B.T.W. Brightness keys do not work but may have been remapped, trackpointer also not. On todo list.

Hey all got my machine booting and installed Serria. I've got battery monitor and brightness working. However can't get audio to work. Anyone have ideas? thanks!

EDIT: Gave up on AppleHDA. Installed the newest VoodoHDA. Sound working now. It does not auto switch to headphones I have to select it as a output device but it works good enough for me :D

• 3 weeks later...

Long time since I've been on this machine or thread.  As an update, the x230 is running 10.12.2 quite well.  I have not attempted the audio as of yet, but will be doing that right now.  The rebranded wifi card with the fakepciid its still working beautifully.  I will warn anyone that wants to rebrand a wifi card to get past the whitelist, that doing this basically makes is useless as a windows machine (unless someone knows how to redirect irq and whatnot in windows drivers (I am not interested enough to even try)).  If I get the audio working I will let you guys know what I did.

Sound is working just fine using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-—-dynamic-applehda-patching/page-1. You will need to use the codeccommander kext as well if you want your sound to work when resuming from sleep.

Long time since I've been on this machine or thread. As an update, the x230 is running 10.12.2 quite well. I have not attempted the audio as of yet, but will be doing that right now. The rebranded wifi card with the fakepciid its still working beautifully. I will warn anyone that wants to rebrand a wifi card to get past the whitelist, that doing this basically makes is useless as a windows machine (unless someone knows how to redirect irq and whatnot in windows drivers (I am not interested enough to even try)). If I get the audio working I will let you guys know what I did.

Sound is working just fine using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-—-dynamic-applehda-patching/page-1. You will need to use the codeccommander kext as well if you want your sound to work when resuming from sleep.

Long time since I've been on this machine or thread. As an update, the x230 is running 10.12.2 quite well. I have not attempted the audio as of yet, but will be doing that right now. The rebranded wifi card with the fakepciid its still working beautifully. I will warn anyone that wants to rebrand a wifi card to get past the whitelist, that doing this basically makes is useless as a windows machine (unless someone knows how to redirect irq and whatnot in windows drivers (I am not interested enough to even try)). If I get the audio working I will let you guys know what I did.

Sound is working just fine using http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/311293-applealc-—-dynamic-applehda-patching/page-1. You will need to use the codeccommander kext as well if you want your sound to work when resuming from sleep.

For Wifi in Windows you can plug the Original card in the othe spare mpcie slot on the Logic board. I guess that would work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no whitelisted card that will work with os x.  What I did was buy an atheros 9280 and rebranded it to appear as a n6300.  This passed the whitelist check and then the fakepciid kexts I provided lets os x see it as an apple airport card and it works natively.  This may be next to impossible to get to work in windows due to driver issues, I haven't tried as I only have os x on the machine currently.

Hi gilg,

Could you please provide some more information about the procedure you followed to rebrand the 9280 as an n6300?

I'm about to do the same thing following This guide but i want to double check what you did.

Shoud i take note of the IDs of my current card and then do the rebranding in another computer using those IDs?

And would you be so kind to share the kext files you used after the rebranding?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Im sitting in class right now, but I can send you links to the guides I used as a general outline.  One thing to note is that I own a desktop computer that has a mpcie slot in it that also had linux on it at the time.  This is what I used to rebrand the card.  Also whatever you do do not get one of the cards that also has bluetooth in it.  I happened to have one of those cards on hand, and I could not get that to work no matter what I tried.  Ordered one without bluetooth on Amazon for like 10 bucks and had it working in under 10 minutes once I got the card.