Does 256MB 8600GT hinder performance of new OS X?

7 posts in this topic

Hi, guys

just finished a bit of upgrade for my trusty old rig. Added L5430 Xeon, put Noctua cooler on it and cracked it up to 3.55GHz on stock voltage with ULNAadapter on (only 900rpm). Sweet.

Still I don't feel the system is much snappier now then it was on E4400. And by Geekbench E4400 is like half slower in Single-Threaded and 3 times slower in Multi-Threaded. Here is my score for L5430 btw.

I mean general snappiness like how fluid it is. It is a bit of jerky. Could it be that my videocard hinders performance? It is passive 8600GT 256MB. Will changing it really help me with what I want i.e. too feel system is more fluid, alive. Did you have personal experience how video card changed your OS X?

If it is then what you recommend to look at?

I don't want big and noisy oven. I would prefer something silent actually. I was thinking maybe Geforce 730GT? It is one of the newest chips (Kepler) it is 23W.

Then memory size: is 1Gb enough or 2GB is really wanted (I don't do 3D). Should I get GDDR5 or DDR3 is just the same for those cards I look at?

Then maybe Radeon is better now? Please voice your opinion on the matter. Thank you.

You should get a Radeon R7-265, namely the Sapphire R7-265 Dual-X or Vapor-X. It is the rebranded HD 7850, and work natively with OS X ( provided you use the DP port or HDMI port, the DVI-I won't work and I haven't got the time to test the other DVI-D port )

Guys, I already have an SSD. Lag I want to eliminate is UI one.

I don't need monster GPU. Not for money it costs not for energy it uses.

I'll be fine with some low power solution that will have enough oomph to drive the UI. I am looking at GT 730 or comparable Radeon if it is better.

I don't play games, don't do 3D. Only Photoshop. So I am interested to know if this will help. Is it really amount of RAM on my GPU that is low. or it is chip that is slow clocked.

I like the card itself QE/CI is working out of the box, it is silent. And the price was about 10$ so no complains. But somehow I feel like 8800GTS 512MB that I was using before it was a bit faster in UI. I wonder if this a placebo effect on me that I know that 8800 should be faster since it is big expensive and noisy or it really was?

Guys, I already have an SSD. Lag I want to eliminate is UI one.

I don't need monster GPU. Not for money it costs not for energy it uses.

I'll be fine with some low power solution that will have enough oomph to drive the UI. I am looking at GT 730 or comparable Radeon if it is better.

I don't play games, don't do 3D. Only Photoshop. So I am interested to know if this will help. Is it really amount of RAM on my GPU that is low. or it is chip that is slow clocked.

I like the card itself QE/CI is working out of the box, it is silent. And the price was about 10$ so no complains. But somehow I feel like 8800GTS 512MB that I was using before it was a bit faster in UI. I wonder if this a placebo effect on me that I know that 8800 should be faster since it is big expensive and noisy or it really was?

Then get the GTX 650, nice performance and better than that joke GT 730

OK, so far I've bought Asus ENGT520 SL/DI/512MD3(LP) card.
On Clover with Inject NVidia=True it is working OOB.
Test shows it is either on par with my 8600GT or faster (Like 2x in OpenGL and 1.5x in Quartz by XBench)

From iStat Menus it doesn't show that I now have more video ram — seems like OS X tries to use all available VRAM for paging open windows.

Also I discovered that sleep is functional now, so it was 8600GT giving me problems with sleep (Gigabyte Silent Pipe II model)

And yes interface is definitely more fluid now. Though I would definitely update later to a more powerful (and with more VRAM) card when silent models will become cheap on used market.

P.S. I was not able to run Luxmark since it was crashing — is it that problem with OpenCL not working on 4xx/5xx series?

UPDATE: Latest Nvidia Web driver helped with OpenCL problem. And also added a bit to OpenGL benchmarks)

• 2 months later...

Well, changed card for 630v2 1GB Asus silent model recently (GK208) and it is even better.

Now I have some free video ram (looking at atMonitor) and it does seems as fluid as I want.

Also no need for Nvidia web driver with this card. Everything is running OOB on Clover.