DVD Drive keeps ejecting

zeppelin

7 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I bought an LG WH16NS40 blu-ray drive for my hackintosh (more specs below), and the computer keeps opening the drive upon boot up and such.  I thought it might be an OS issue, but when I wiped the OS clean for a fresh install (I switched from the method that is not supported by this website to the clover rampage dev method) it kept doing it -- even in the in between when there was no OS on the system or anything, so I figure it's bios related?!.  Right now, I decided to take the side off the case and unplug the damn thing because it's a pain.

Any thoughts on how to fix?  I suspect it's something in the bios, but I need some help please in problem solving.

Thanks

Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe CPU: Intel 5820k Graphics: Zotec GTX 980 Amp! Other Hardware: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666 Mhz Memory - 32 gig
NZXT Internal Card Reader
LG WH16NS40 Internal Blu-ray Writer
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter
Firewire Card - PEX1394B3

• 2 weeks later...

have you tried updating the drives firmware? http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WH16NS40also have you tried reproducing the issue without the Sata cable plugged in only leaving the power to it connected. that would narrow it down to the drive.

Ok, so I took it back.  I got a Sony Optiarc 5280s-cb plus and it's doing the same thing. 

I tried removing the sata cable with this one (just to check) - and it doesn't open without the sata port connected.

I went into the BIOS and the drive was listed as first to boot.  So I actually disabled the drive from being a boot option (the only option is the SSD now), and guess what, it's still opening.  Frustrated with this. 

it might be a feature of asus EZ flash bios. i got this from the manual section 3.11 updating bios

1. ASUS EZ Flash 2: Updates the BIOS using a USB flash drive.

2. ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3: Restores the BIOS using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive when the BIOS  fails or gets corrupted.

3. ASUS BIOS Updater: Updates the BIOS in DOS environment using the motherboard support DVD and a USB flash disk drive. 

• Like 1

it might be a feature of asus EZ flash bios. i got this from the manual section 3.11 updating bios

1. ASUS EZ Flash 2: Updates the BIOS using a USB flash drive.

2. ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3: Restores the BIOS using the motherboard support DVD or a USB flash drive when the BIOS  fails or gets corrupted.

3. ASUS BIOS Updater: Updates the BIOS in DOS environment using the motherboard support DVD and a USB flash disk drive. 

Thanks.  I'm keeping this for later, just in case.  It turns out that I had it plugged into a Sata Express port, which a friend suggested will work the same as the Sata port (as long as I had a sata cable only in it.  It did not.  I moved the DVD drive to another port, just "Sata" and it works fine now.

Rick