(SUCCESS) El Capitan 10.11 on Surface Pro 3 i5 (Chris111 install, LonelyTV files)

MeuPRodrigo

77 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a Surface Pro 3 and started testing Hackintosh on it, at that point i think it is not bad and pretty usable.

I will try to explain my steps in case of someone having trouble with explanations with other topics.

Installing El Capitan on USB

• Take a 16+ GB usb drive
  • Format it in GUID
    • partition 1 : EFI (fat32) 1GB
    • partition 2 : Macintosh (hfsj+) 15+GB
  • Use Chris1111 method to install a clean El Capitan version on HDD or USB.

Installing Clover on USB + update with Surface Pro 3 Files

• Install Clover on EFI partition using Clover last official version, and visit LonelyTV 10.10 tutorial to get the files updated for Surface Pro 3.
  • After that you should be able to boot into USB and see brand new El Capitan installed.
    • to get to boot on USB you have to change some settings in Surface Pro 3 BIOS (check google to access it, and LonelyTV tutorial to see what you need to deactivate)
    • TypeCover should work, and USB too for the first steps.

Boot on newly installed Hackintosh

• You should be able now to boot to your system on USB drive. You can use usb 2.0 or 3.0 hub to use various devices (keyboard, mouse, etc.)

Copy to SSD (and Dual-boot with Windows 10)

• To get a full hackintosh you can now format SSD drive from disk utility and make two partitions EFI and Hackintosh as on USB drive.
  • You can copy files from EFI to EFI, and clone Macintosh (on USB) to Macintosh partition (on SSD) and should be able to boot without USB drive.
    • Finally if you want to dual boot with Windows 10, create EFI - Macintosh and another FAT32 partition with the reste of the space.
    • You should be able, when booting to a newly created Windows 10 installer USB drive (with Rufus, check google) to format or delete FAT32 Windows partition and make installer create it nicely in the free lefted space.

At this point you should have a working dual-boot Windows 10 - El Capitan on your Surface Pro 3.

Let's check what works and doesn't.

What works

- Type cover (trackpad and keyboard)

- Graphics

- Speakers

- Wifi with USB Dongle (Asus N14 - RT5372)

- Ethernet with USB Dongle (IcyBox 1B-AC501)

What doesn't work

- Wifi - Bluetooth

- Touchscreen

- Jack audio

- Cameras / Webcams

- Sleep (to verify)

- SD card reader

Surface Pro 3 Driver Pack.zip

• Like 3

Using Ethernet dongle (IcyBox 1B-AC501 - ASIX AX88179)

As I failed to use Microsoft Surface USB3.0 to Gigabite Ethernet Adapter, I got an IcyBox 1B-AC501 adapter. It uses ASIX AX88179 which have drivers for Mac OS X and for 10.11 El Capitan.

Made it work using official drivers (AX88* in attached files), that install AX88179_178A.kext in L/E and seem to be signed.

Using Wifi Dongle (ASUS N-14 - RT5372)

To use this dongle with El Capitan it was hard because last drivers are for 10.9.

I got it working using Folder for v5.0.1.22.zip file, I left the original name so you can find on Google where it cames from.

Steps were :

• Modify kext to make idVendor and idProduct match mine.
    • First look in About this mac and System report.
    • In usb, and with your dongle connected, you should be able to see it.
    • Take idVendor and idProduct and convert them from Hexadecimal to decimal with an online converter (google it)
    • Modify one identity in .kext info.plist and put your values. (product = 6120 and vendor = 2821 for me)
  • Install kext with Kext Wizard (which puts RT2870USBWirelessDriver in S/L/E) and repair permission + rebuild cache
  • Put framework file in S/L/Frameworks
  • Click on DLinkPreferencesPan to add it to settings.
    • Note : i didn't needed WifiUtilityStartup and WifiUtility.
  • Reboot and you should have your working dongle using DLink Preferences Pan in Settings.

Folder for v5.0.1.22.zip

AX88179_178A_Macintosh_10.6_to_10.11_Driver_Installer_v2.6.0_20150820.zip

• Like 2

MeuProdrigo, did you not find this method useful and easier? (link removed)

pretty much everything that worked in 10.10.5 worked for me in 10.11 except cameras.

Audio: I made a post about this in lonely's thread             #201            

including a method for enabling the sensor for detecting a headphone jack insertion or removal to switch sound from speakers to headphones and back.  Really everything worked except the obvious builtins, touchscreen and the cameras.  i was wondering if anyone knew which kexts handled the cameras and how they might be modified to work in 10.11? 

Edited by JahStories
Please do not post links to unsupported websites

I was not using 10.10 on surface before ;)

What is the link for the audio fix ?

oh I see. well that'd explain it.  Here's the link to the audio jack fix             #123            

OK so there's good news and bad news.

Good news:  I've updated to 10.11.1 and video, audio and cameras are working.  yes, cameras are working like I can face time.  usb is ok, i have wifi from my asus nano N usb dongle unning but my bluetooth dongle doesn't work anymore.  no biggie, its a bit {censored} anyway so i'll buy a better one and see if I can get it running.

Bad news:  I didn't do anything special to have it work.  Here's my steps:

follow my initial summary of steps to get a successful 10.10.5 running here             #201            

then upgrade to 10.11 by following this info here             #260             (really you're just downloading the install app, copy it to the desktop to preserve the original and run it).  once you're installed, add this to your EFI > CLOVER > plist (anywhere)

<key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x3</string>
    </dict>

Then reboot which will allow you to update kexts again.  now you can update kexts, redo the IOUSBFamily mod for the typecover. 

To reproduce my steps, I was also using kext utility to install AppleHDA288 but reviewing my system showed that I was still running VoodoHDA for my audio.  however I found I needed to reboot a few times to get the option to select anything other than Digit out (HDMI).  so take this how you want.  I don't know if kext util was fixing my voodoohda permissions, if appleHDA288 was nudging something or if reboot was letting the system sort itself out.

Do the update to 10.11.1 but you'll need to redo the IOUSBFamily mod and redo the audio again.  

Ok strange.

I did the 10.11.1 update, and if I'm right I didn't have to modify anything to get my Type Cover working again.
Everything just worked the same way it worked on 10.11 but still no cameras detected.

That is weird.

I'm gonna look into that better tonight, as you say that Cameras and AudioJack audio can work :)

Could you maybe upload your EFI.zip so I could search inside what you could have different from me ? Thanks ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried this project since the last time I factory reset my SSD

Just want to ask does trackpad gesture work now?

Well, I mean do we at least get two finger scroll working?

I've been thinking install OSX back on my SP3

But since I carry it around a lot, it would be nice if I get the gesture for convenience:D

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get to have trackpad gestures working, but didn't booted it since a few weeks.

Real problem is wifi/bluetooth but otherwise that, and trackpad gestures, all seem to work.

Have to say I had a strange bug with the Surface turning off and not rebooting without a hard reset.

Other thing cool to have is Power Management with buttons, to sleep or wake and so ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know is El Capitain on the surface pro 3 actually stable for everyday use?

I can compensate on not using the touch screen as i never wanted to touch osx, whats important to me is the power button, sleep, brightness control, wake, power management for battery life and charging as well as trackpad gestures.

Can someone confirm they us osx on there surface pro 3 for stable every day use.

• 1 month later...

Small update for those waiting for SP3 touchscreen drivers. There hasn't been any new code contributions but someone was finally able to test a contribution from a couple of months back that gives proper input without the need for that HIDSample app (those who were alpha testing know what I'm referring to). The kext linked below can be loaded with "sudo kextload VoodooI2C.kext" and you should get basic mouse-like input. This includes navigating, left/right clicking and dragging. Keep in mind that these drivers are still experimental so I don't suggest you install them to /s/l/e. Furthermore, these drivers do not support power saving so it is highly likely that if you put the machine to sleep, it will crash. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdnnfgh80fcoprw/VoodooI2C%20SP3%20alpha.zip?dl=0

Do you have brightness control? I am stuck at 100% brightness always... slider for brightness moves but brightness does not change.

UPDATE: Reinstalled Standard DSDT, configplist and kexts, now I have brightness control but lost the MicroSD slot.

MicroSD used to be recognized with custom configplist, DSDTs and kexts proposed by panjunwens.

So, within what other people was able to make work properly I am still unable to get:  

- MicroSD (with custom configplist, DSDTs and kexts proposed by panjunwens I get MicroSD but loose Brightness Control)

- Headphone jack (tried the fix said here but whenever I try I just get a loop boot)

Hi guys!

Just want to report if you can't get brightness control working

You can add the latest kext from the following link to /CLOVER/kexts/10.11

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-backlight/downloads

Haven't tried with LonelyTV's DSDT but works perfectly on the one from panjunwens

P.S. Test OSX version-10.11.3

Cool, thanks!

Went back to panjunwens and with this kext you say now I have brightness control and regained the microsd.

By any chance were you able to make the Headphone jack fix work on yours as well?

Cool, thanks!

Went back to panjunwens and with this kext you say now I have brightness control and regained the microsd.

By any chance were you able to make the Headphone jack fix work on yours as well?

This is the most feature I want to solve now

By far all the methods I tried didn't work

The closest guy I've seen is from here

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/169974-el-capitan-beta-dell-xps-13-9343-early-2015-model-73.html

He does get sound working but will lose it after 20 sec

I will try his method when I have free time

But currently the best solution is to stick with Yosemite I guess

• 5 weeks later...

Ok strange.

I did the 10.11.1 update, and if I'm right I didn't have to modify anything to get my Type Cover working again.

Everything just worked the same way it worked on 10.11 but still no cameras detected.

That is weird.

I'm gonna look into that better tonight, as you say that Cameras and AudioJack audio can work :)

Could you maybe upload your EFI.zip so I could search inside what you could have different from me ? Thanks ;)

ahhh sorry I didn't see this until now.  resurrecting it from the grave just in case you were still looking.  I just upgraded to el capitan again and everything is running great except:

built in bluetooth/wifi

power button sleep/wake (but touching the keypad works fine to wake)

battery level

no graphics glitches, sound works great, voodooI2c kext is giving me reasonable touch screen.  very happy.  Very stable: been running for 4 days now no dramas.

here's my EFI FWIW: https://www.dropbox.com/s/asa9upxz1e9rrak/EFI.zip?dl=0

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hmm.  not seeing responses to this thread unless I login.  Sorry for not responding sooner @MeuPRodrigo great you have battery level and brightness.  I forgot I'd removed my DSDT from boot up. it's the only way I could get the touchscreen working.  if you go into the EFI / clover/acpi/patched directory and rename DSDT-old to DSDT and reboot, you might get the cameras up and running ... not sure about the audio jack.  i'm gonna ask about kext/patch options for all the stuff in my DSDT but for now, i'd much rather have the touch screen.

• 2 months later...

Alright guys...guess what? Now we have headphone jack working!

The only thing need to solve is build-in speaker

I'm planning to release the files once I'm all done

Here are some pics, time to say goodbye to Yosemite and hello to El Capitan :P :P

post-1525758-0-97858200-1469376528_thumb.png

post-1525758-0-28769500-1469376543_thumb.png

======Edit 2016/7/25======

Woohoo~Now all the audio outputs are fixed!

Headphone jack----------working

Built-in Speakers---------working

Audio through HDMI-----working

I'll upload all the files after some organize

======Edit 2016/7/26======

Done!

Extract the rar and you will see an instruction and all the files you need

I've also included SD reader and backlight fix

Enjoy El Capitan on your SP3!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wemM1jdciWOHoyQnlfdXJESmM/view?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys...guess what? Now we have headphone jack working!

The only thing need to solve is build-in speaker

I'm planning to release the files once I'm all done

Here are some pics, time to say goodbye to Yosemite and hello to El Capitan :P :P

attachicon.gif螢幕快照 2016-07-24 下午11.53.42.png

attachicon.gif螢幕快照 2016-07-24 下午11.53.07.png

======Edit 2016/7/25======

Woohoo~Now all the audio outputs are fixed!

Headphone jack----------working

Built-in Speakers---------working

Audio through HDMI-----working

I'll upload all the files after some organize

======Edit 2016/7/26======

Done!

Extract the rar and you will see an instruction and all the files you need

I've also included SD reader and backlight fix

Enjoy El Capitan on your SP3!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-wemM1jdciWOHoyQnlfdXJESmM/view?usp=sharing

You are literally a superhero

excellent everything is working for me now

except the screen flickers and brightness keeps fluctuating and artifacts in graphics it says 1536mb and videos play well even in hd but just random artifacts

can you tell me what i can do to get rid of it

also is there a way to have the kext for trackpad so i can have gestures and scrolling with it

thank you again for the hardwork

You are literally a superhero

excellent everything is working for me now

except the screen flickers and brightness keeps fluctuating and artifacts in graphics it says 1536mb and videos play well even in hd but just random artifacts

can you tell me what i can do to get rid of it

also is there a way to have the kext for trackpad so i can have gestures and scrolling with it

thank you again for the hardwork

Did you fully replace with my Clover bootloader or just paste over?

If you do fully replace it should be fine

By the second look I found that I forgot to delete ACPIBacklight.kext

It is an outdated extension for backlight so please delete it

The newest extension is IntelBacklight.kext and I think I've already included in my pack

Of course you can take a look at here to see if there's any updated release

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-intel-backlight/downloads

And about the artifacts just do a logout&login then they will disappear

According to some articles it's a common issue on mobile HD4400

However, after few weeks of usage, my SP3 has no artifacts right after boot up

I've edited my config.plist a bit after my previous post, you can take a look into KextToPatch part

Due to InsanelyMac upload policy, I rename the file type to .txt

config.txt

And the trackpad gesture, we'll have to wait for someone come up with the solution(finger crossed