I have a Surface Pro 3 and started testing Hackintosh on it, at that point i think it is not bad and pretty usable.
I will try to explain my steps in case of someone having trouble with explanations with other topics.
Installing El Capitan on USB
- Take a 16+ GB usb drive
- Format it in GUID
- partition 1 : EFI (fat32) 1GB
- partition 2 : Macintosh (hfsj+) 15+GB
- Use Chris1111 method to install a clean El Capitan version on HDD or USB.
Installing Clover on USB + update with Surface Pro 3 Files
- Install Clover on EFI partition using Clover last official version, and visit LonelyTV 10.10 tutorial to get the files updated for Surface Pro 3.
- After that you should be able to boot into USB and see brand new El Capitan installed.
- to get to boot on USB you have to change some settings in Surface Pro 3 BIOS (check google to access it, and LonelyTV tutorial to see what you need to deactivate)
- TypeCover should work, and USB too for the first steps.
Boot on newly installed Hackintosh
- You should be able now to boot to your system on USB drive. You can use usb 2.0 or 3.0 hub to use various devices (keyboard, mouse, etc.)
Copy to SSD (and Dual-boot with Windows 10)
- To get a full hackintosh you can now format SSD drive from disk utility and make two partitions EFI and Hackintosh as on USB drive.
- You can copy files from EFI to EFI, and clone Macintosh (on USB) to Macintosh partition (on SSD) and should be able to boot without USB drive.
- Finally if you want to dual boot with Windows 10, create EFI - Macintosh and another FAT32 partition with the reste of the space.
- You should be able, when booting to a newly created Windows 10 installer USB drive (with Rufus, check google) to format or delete FAT32 Windows partition and make installer create it nicely in the free lefted space.
At this point you should have a working dual-boot Windows 10 - El Capitan on your Surface Pro 3.
Let's check what works and doesn't.
- Type cover (trackpad and keyboard)
- Wifi with USB Dongle (Asus N14 - RT5372)
- Ethernet with USB Dongle (IcyBox 1B-AC501)
What doesn't work
- Wifi - Bluetooth
- Jack audio
- Cameras / Webcams
- Sleep (to verify)
- SD card reader