VMWare tools and El Capitan

6 posts in this topic

I've created an El Capitan VM initially without icloud or keychain.  I ran the vmware tools package from the darwin iso but got a message about unable to source sound or something.  I let it go.  I had my bigger screen.

Next, after a reboot, I was able to run app store and successfully download a freebie - WinRAR app.  

Then I tried to install xcode.  It took forever and never seemed to finish in launcher.

Launcher still shows it as 'paused' and all greyed out.

I can launch from within App store though and run it I guess.  (I have a playground file on the desktop).

VMTools is busted though and won't re-install.  Back to a tiny screen.

Any tips ?

Linux Mint 17.2 base with Workstation 10.0.6 I think it is (the latest one).

Having now created a VM on a Win 7 host from the same iso I am almost certain the VMTools for a linux host is problematic.  I've had keyboard failures, never had sound and now cannot re-install the tools.  My VM on a Win7 host is completely free of these issues.

I suspect the cracking does focus on Windows hosts and those with Linux may have to wait.

It may be also that the VMTools package is not quite there in v.10.  Can someone assure me that 12 is that much better ?  I've paid $250 a year ago for the Workstation and paid before that.  So I'm a bit tired of paying for VM Workstation !

Having now created a VM on a Win 7 host from the same iso I am almost certain the VMTools for a linux host is problematic.  I've had keyboard failures, never had sound and now cannot re-install the tools.  My VM on a Win7 host is completely free of these issues.

I suspect the cracking does focus on Windows hosts and those with Linux may have to wait.

It may be also that the VMTools package is not quite there in v.10.  Can someone assure me that 12 is that much better ?  I've paid $250 a year ago for the Workstation and paid before that.  So I'm a bit tired of paying for VM Workstation !

The tools are not installed on the host but in the guest, so there is no difference on the guest side and can be moved between Windows, OS X and Linux hosts. There is a known problem installing tools on El Capitan, and I think there are solutions posted on the VMware forums.

I use Windows, Linux and OS X on a daily basis with the unlocker and there are some differences due to the underlying host OS, which the unlocker cannot fix. On Linux sound has been a problem for sometime but again I have seen fixes for that by selecting a specific sound card in the host.

I installed El Capitan after creating a bootable install disk, and used darwin.iso pulled from Fusion 8. Worked without issue.

I did have to remove the usb_xhci entries from the VMX file and set to USB 2 (USB didn't work otherwise), and of course smc.version = "0", but other than that, it all worked.

To get the darwin.iso I used, I installed Fusion inside my Yosemite VM (which failed, but it leaves the darwin.iso intact). I then moved that to the host, used it to install VMWare tools under El Capitan. 

However, all of that is under Workstation 12 with Windows host. 

I installed El Capitan after creating a bootable install disk, and used darwin.iso pulled from Fusion 8. Worked without issue.

I did have to remove the usb_xhci entries from the VMX file and set to USB 2 (USB didn't work otherwise), and of course smc.version = "0", but other than that, it all worked.

To get the darwin.iso I used, I installed Fusion inside my Yosemite VM (which failed, but it leaves the darwin.iso intact). I then moved that to the host, used it to install VMWare tools under El Capitan. 

However, all of that is under Workstation 12 with Windows host. 

See the following post to download the latest darwin.iso from this site, as well as the link to get it directly from VMware.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/31-vmware-tools-for-os-x-darwiniso/