cannot open installer

jgoens

73 posts in this topic

I inherited a Hackintosh that was non-functioning but was able to re-build and get working. I installed windows7 easily and it works great but I am trying to install OSX El Capitan and have not been successful. I have searched and posted in the Tonymac forum but have not been successful.  I made a bootable installer using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with El Capitan which was successful. I have been following the instructions on Tonymac and Lifehacker as well. When my computer boots all I get is Boot1/boot5 or just Boot1. I am fairly Noob at this but hoping someone might have insight before I just give up. I think it is possible but am completely stumped as I have tried different USB ports and different usb flash drives.

The computer hardware is:

Gigabyte GA Z68X-UD3H-B3

Intel I7 2700 CPU 3.5 ghz

16GB Ram

Hard drive for OSX OCZ-Vertex

Graphics AMD Radeon 6800

The Bios is F10 version

Any help is appreciated.

That's interesting. I didn't even know the pc side of the hackintosh thing. As far as learning..I took this unit completely apart, put in a new power unit and made many calls to gigabyte to get it going. Have learned a tremendous amount about the innards of computers. I found this site when I Google my mono and found a post from a while back of someone who was somewhat successful.

Umm.. so the insanely mac site crashed my windows computer...really?  Mod only directs me to why tonymac is not PC but nobody has idea to what I am referring too..really?  No support for El Capitan install.  Guess it's same old  same old.

I've been an active member of several other forums pertaining to different topics for several years..apparently this site is dedicated to bashing another forum instead of actively taking an interest in subjects that people who subscribe in are interested in. A shame that a forum's sole intention is to attack another forum.

Umm.. so the insanely mac site crashed my windows computer...really?  Mod only directs me to why tonymac is not PC but nobody has idea to what I am referring too..really?  No support for El Capitan install.  Guess it's same old  same old.

really? 

ok, lets start by saying your pc is very compatible, and that you have a bad install method that obviously didnt work. so i instructed you with one of our rules and pointed out that here you can easily find ways to get a fully functional way to get your usb thumb bootable and have lots and lots of support not only for installation, as well post install and specific hw pieces, under many well organized sub-foruns.

good luck and good reading. any question we are here to help. just not with tonys tools.

• Like 1

I went to the install guide and there is not any info posted for El Capitan. It has become obvious to me that the process is far more than a simple install and having an inherent interest in how computers work I am in it for the long haul. I have invested many hours for this "hobby" but cannot find another software other than the "beast" that is designed for installing OSX.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308034-how-to-create-an-el-capitan-installer-which-doesnt-need-bootloader-kext-injection-fakesmc-in-pre-linked-kernel/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306860-os-x-el-capitan-dvd-creatorapp/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306960-chameleon-os-x-el-capitan/

besides other yosemite and el capitan tutorials, witch the only thing that changes is that you need to set csr setting to allow non signed kexts with chameleon. with clover is the very same, just use the latest one. please, read the forum, pay attention to the topics and guides. we are testing and supporting el capitan since the first hour of the first developer beta release.

if another sites can have their install methods now for el capitan, is only because our amazing coders and devs did a fantastic job by testing and finding solutions.

"but cannot find another software other than the "beast" that is designed for installing OSX" 

you are joking, right? good luck and good reading.

• Like 2

Thank you for some direction. I did see that link re. Clover as the installer. The thing I don't understand is that the method I have been trying has Clover in it right? (You know the beast one) So, I am assuming a better method is to just use Clover separately and change a couple settings? Another thing I noticed on this site(as well as the gigabyte site which was linked in a thread here from a couple years ago) is a download for my mobo for a bios update to UEFI. Even though that is a more modern system what is the advantage to that? I don't want to compromise the windows 7 system on my machine.

I have tried to make a bootable drive using the instructions in the making a bootable for 10.11 (the right way) and all I end up getting in terminal is Eriks-Mac-mini-2:~ jody$ sudo/Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia volume/Volumes/Untitled\ 1 --applicationpath/Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

-bash: sudo/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: No such file or directory

I have tried several times to follow these instructions exactly. A bit baffled on this. I tried it with Mavericks which I have an installer for, just to see if a different result would happen and the same. Any ideas?

You're typing it wrong. I'm on tapatalk, so I'll just comment on the thing that terminal already said:

- after sudo comes space, it's not folder but root command.

Is your usb named Untitled 1? Rename it to what's it called in guide and copy whole line from instructions, don't retype it, because you can always make mistake like that.

You're typing it wrong. I'm on tapatalk, so I'll just comment on the thing that terminal already said:

- after sudo comes space, it's not folder but root command.

Is your usb named Untitled 1? Rename it to what's it called in guide and copy whole line from instructions, don't retype it, because you can always make mistake like that.

Here's what I get:Eriks-Mac-mini-2:~ jody$ sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume/Volumes/usb --applicationpath/Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert> --applicationpath <path to Install OS X El Capitan.app> [--force]

Arguments--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.

--applicationpath, A path to copy of the OS installer application to create the bootable media from.

--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app"

Not sure what I am missing.

I told you to copy command line because i was on mobile yesterday so i couldn't see all the lines. There are few more mistakes!

You still don't have spaces after volume and applicationpath, so you didn't copy it...

If name of you USB is "usb" as you wrote it down, copy this to terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usb --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

You can also look at other guides (some have automated installers) that mendietinha left you in post #8.

• Like 1

Ok.Thanks

I will try to copy and space it as you have stated later today. The instructions in the installer thread do not exactly specify where the spaces are and from viewing the example I was unsure and just kept trying over and over.

I told you to copy command line because i was on mobile yesterday so i couldn't see all the lines. There are few more mistakes!

You still don't have spaces after volume and applicationpath, so you didn't copy it...

If name of you USB is "usb" as you wrote it down, copy this to terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/usb --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

You can also look at other guides (some have automated installers) that mendietinha left you in post #8.

That worked!! The install went fine and Clover as well but....Step 4 and 5 in the install guide are a bit vague (as to how to get those steps done). I googled ssdt and dsdt and these things appear to be over my head in complexity. Step 5 appears to be like finding a needle in a haystack. I somehow have to find the Plist for my motherboard? I tried to download the dropbox version but this mac does not have software to open it.  I read the Clover FAQ and it mostly is going into what to do with various errors. Should I just give the bootable a whirl and then troubleshoot from there?  What I am wondering is, is doesn't the installer have all the proper Kexts so that modifying would not be necessary? 

What I am wondering is, is doesn't the installer have all the proper Kexts so that modifying would not be necessary? 

No, you just made installer the Apple way, as clean as possible - no unnecessary junk that "could" work on 90% of PCs . :thumbsup_anim:

Should I just give the bootable a whirl and then troubleshoot from there?

Yes, boot in verbose and see what errors you get.

You should have only FakeSMC.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ folder and go from there. See what kexts, patches and boot flags your motherboard and graphics need. That way you would have best Vanilla install for your system.

For some people its hard and they are not willing to do it, but for most of us thats the beauty of it.

Start with searching this forum and wiki.osx86project.com (OS X 86 wiki, at the top of the page) and you should be able to have working hackintosh by the end of the day!

This is what i found searching (just one of many links) your motherboard through osx86 wiki

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.9.1#Gigabyte

post-1517990-0-47635800-1445605786_thumb.png

Same is for graphics and any other part of your hardware (but guy already has radeon patch in that link afaik).

BTW, what guide are you referring to and what dropbox link wouldn't open?

The guide I am using is the how to create a usb the right way in tutorials(the genious way). The Dropbox link is in step 5. I downloaded Clover configurator from that but my mac said there is not an application to open it.

When I open the kext folder in my usb I do not see a fakesmc kext. Only folders of all the osx systems.

When I open the kext folder in my usb I do not see a fakesmc kext. Only folders of all the osx systems.

Of course, as i said before, its up to you to add all kexts and patches, thats the beauty of installing it the right way.

Try this for CC, its supporting 10.8 and up (CC you downloaded only runs on Yosemite and El Capitan)

Clover Configurator.zip

And try this FakeSMC (extracted with Pacifist from newest HWsensors @kozlek)

FakeSMC.kext.zip

Tried to boot..normal I get boot1 error. In verbose it just hangs on loading operating system. I tried two different usb 3.0 ports and the front of unit port.Basically the same results with that "other guys" tools. I think there is some setting somewhere that is not right and I can't figure out what it could be. I searched BIOS everywhere and really do not see a setting that will help. Legacy is enabled.
My graphics card is still connected by the way..
Previously, I had taken it off but got the same result so I don't think that is the issue for just getting Clover to boot.

Thanks but my knowledge is trivial compared to other guys here, i just find this (osx86) extremely interesting and rewarding. :)

Let us know how it goes!

Hopefully, you have an idea on this one.

Try installing Clover in legacy mode on your USB and always use USB 2.0 ports for hackintosh installation. 

I used the guide and did the Clover Legacy install section--the only difference was the checkbox for CloverEFI in the guide is checked for all but mine I could only make a selection, so I checked 64 bit. I have tried all usb ports. I only get Boot1/ error or Boot1/ 5.  I think the usb is fine but there is a setting in BIOS or Clover that I am amiss.  I know my Bios is Legacy and says EFI as well. I've googled those error codes and it seems like it has to do with something more with my settings not being right...but I don't know what it is.

Did you try both boot0af and boot0ss?

post-1517990-0-16462100-1445648662_thumb.png

If yes, and it still doesn't work:

Have you used that USB before for "other tool", and how did you format/erase your USB in Disk Utility? 

Choosing you  usb name (partition you made) or whole drive (manufacturer name and model)?

post-1517990-0-44600700-1445648842.png

It is possible that you have some leftovers from Chameleon/Chimera install from last time if you didn't format the whole drive (old boot files in EFI partition that is hidden in Disk Utility)...

Edit:

Or just to be sure, why wouldn't you format whole USB and then use Chris1111's installer to make bootable usb?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/