Weird SSD Disk Drive problem on MacBook Pro Mid 2012

luki1979

8 posts in this topic

Today computer suddenly suffered from spinning ball when web browsing, had few apps in the background but nothing heavy on CPU. I waited 5 minutes and had to reboot by pressing off button for longer. 

After reboot I was greeted with a question mark folder sign instead of apple logo. Googled the problem and followed apple instructions - boot to recovery mode but computer can't see the SSD. I unplugged and connected the SSD via USB adapter. It booted straight away but obviously slow as f.... I don't have other 2.5" drive to try but I had that DVD drive to SSD adapter so I proceeded and to my surprise Hard Drive works in SuperDrive place just not in it's own. 

Can anybody tell me if MacBook Pro have one drive controller?

If so it must be a ribbon cable or port malfunction, but how can it be? 

Thanks for any inputs.

L79

Need to know: Which version OS are you using? Yosemite does not support TRIM on the SSD drives natively (non Apple drives).

Check here https://www.cindori.org/safely-enable-trim-on-yosemite-and-el-capitan/for more info.

I am assuming this is the boot up drive inside??

FWIW this is what I did for my 2012 MacBookPro I bought from OWC a replacement (Data Doubler) frame of the CD rom, http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/and put the original mechanical drive there (slower bus). I put an Samsung EVO 500GB in the original location. Installed Yosemite to the SSD and moved the location of the USERS to the mechanical drive you also need to do that in System Preferences Account press Option key while clicking on your account to gain access to advance menu. You need to link the Users to that drive.

I left all applications on the SSD but Data is on the mechanical drive because of the reads and writes.

I had to use the utility from Cindori and every time a major OS updated if I was not paying attention I would get the international STOP sign. It was because of Kext Signing. Now every thing is fine with ElCapitan but I did upgrade to Disk Sensei for TRIM enabling.

Hope this helps. You should be able to boot in the rescue partition (Command + R) read Cindori forum if this will help if you enabled Kext Signing you must dis able it.

Not sure if that is your problem.

Lou Cioccio

I re-read your comment. My niece just had a similar problem but she was 5 hour drive from my home.  She had the beach ball and she could not boot up but just the white screen no stop sign. Over the phone we tried several drills clearing the PRAM which she did get two chimes but still would not finishing booting.  We did recovery but just repaired permissions and then tried to reboot. Still no luck. I figured her OS may have been corrupted so she took the MBP over to the IT department at Penn State. They were able to get her data off the drive but "they" determined it was a faulty SATA cable and had her order one of a Amazon ($29US) in fact 10$US less than DVWarehouse.  She would have got it yesterday so I'll try to find out if she was successful.

lou cioccio

• 1 month later...