Clover UEFI, windows install LEGACY/UEFI

Paologas91

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys I have a UEFI clover install on my motherboard. I created a partition on external drive (formatted with GPT table) where i copied windows 10 installation files. Now i am able to boot windows installation UEFI mode. But i want to know if it is possible to boot LEGACY install too. In other words i want that this external support will let me decide if i want to install windows choosing between LEGACY and UEFI mode (by using clover of course). Is this possible? Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

This is possible by creating/destroying a Hybrid MBR layer over the default GPT. Protective MBR = UEFI, Hybrid MBR = legacy. Note that Windows will see the drive as MBR, which does not sync back with GPT, so do NOT change anything in Windows and ALWAYS create a new hybrid MBR after changing from Linux or OS X.

This is possible by creating/destroying a Hybrid MBR layer over the default GPT. Protective MBR = UEFI, Hybrid MBR = legacy. Note that Windows will see the drive as MBR, which does not sync back with GPT, so do NOT change anything in Windows and ALWAYS create a new hybrid MBR after changing from Linux or OS X.

Thanks for replying! Btw on the external drive (GPT formatted) i have these partitions:

1) EFI partition with clover

2) el capitan install

3) yosemite install

4) mavericks install

5) windows 10 install

6) windows 8.1 install

My intention is that when i want to format a computer, i plug in USB and i am able (trought clover) to choose which installation start.

As u said, I have to create an hybrid MBR...but i never heard about it...how to do it? I have to format external drive again creating hybrid MBR? Or can i leave the GPT scheme that i already have? Thanks man.

Thanks for replying! Btw on the external drive (GPT formatted) i have these partitions:

1) EFI partition with clover

2) el capitan install

3) yosemite install

4) mavericks install

5) windows 10 install

6) windows 8.1 install

My intention is that when i want to format a computer, i plug in USB and i am able (trought clover) to choose which installation start.

As u said, I have to create an hybrid MBR...but i never heard about it...how to do it? I have to format external drive again creating hybrid MBR? Or can i leave the GPT scheme that i already have? Thanks man.

You cannot chose between UEFI and legacy just like that at boot. If Windows is installed in 'UEFI mode' and the HDD is GPT, it will boot the UEFI way. If Windows is installed in 'legacy mode' and HDD is (Hybrid) MBR, it boots legacy. Maybe there is a workaround for 'UEFI mode' vs 'legacy mode' via some command fiddling, but that still doesn't resolve that you would need to convert between Hybrid MBR and Protective MBR at every single switch...

• Like 1

You cannot chose between UEFI and legacy just like that at boot. If Windows is installed in 'UEFI mode' and the HDD is GPT, it will boot the UEFI way. If Windows is installed in 'legacy mode' and HDD is (Hybrid) MBR, it boots legacy. Maybe there is a workaround for 'UEFI mode' vs 'legacy mode' via some command fiddling, but that still doesn't resolve that you would need to convert between Hybrid MBR and Protective MBR at every single switch...

ok it's better i use another external drive MBR formatted to install various windows versions (legacy mode way).

Thanks for explanation :)